Problem between chromecast and TP Link AP

Search This thread

Tib44

May 6, 2011
Hi

I have a problem between my chromecast and my TP link wifi repeter (WA-801ND)

I have a livebox (Orange France) but in my room the wifi is bad so I have put a AP to extend the wifi range through ethernet.

When I try to configure my chromecast on the wifi (with livebox and TP link ON) I have a problem I have this message :

After I have seen that I try to fix :

I have disable AP Isolation on the TP link (I haven't found the option on the livebox)
and I have done the following things : https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/HyxnH4poMzU/i5Km4oP5EZMJ
exepted IGMP because I havn't found it on my router and my AP.

I have try to put my TP Link in Access Point mode and Repeater mode but it dosen't works

I have also try multi ssid on my TP Link : 1 to extend livebox wifi and 1 just for the chromecast but it dosn't work at all

After that I have try to configure the chromecast with only the livebox ON so I have powered off the TP link and at this time it works the configuration is finished successfully. And all is working (youtube, plex, play music, podcast addict) but because the TP link was off there was wifi signal loss. So I powered back ON the TP link and the chromecast connect to it successfully but when the TP link is on not everything works

Working :
-Play Music from chrome desktop and android
-Podcast Addict (android app)
-Allcast (android app)
-cast screen from my Nexus 4
-cast tab from desktop
-cast tab with sound from desktop
-Youtube from chrome desktop

Not Working :
-Youtube for android
-Plex for android
-Chromecast offical android app

In youtube, plex the cast button does not appear.

How can I solve my problem ?

Thanks

PS :
My router settings :
SSID : Livebox-b80d
broadcast SSID : Yes
security mode : WPA2-PSK/AES
channel : 6
easy WiFi : activated
Wifi : 802.11bgn
WPS : activated
MAC filtering : deactivated
UPnP IGD : activated
DHCP : activated

TP link settings :
Mode : Access Point
SSID : Livebox-b80d
Channel: 6
Wifi Mode: 11bgn mixed
Channel Width: auto (I can choose 20MHz or 40MHz)
[checked] Enable Wireless Radio
[checked] Enable SSID Broadcast
WPA2-PSK Personal (I can choose entrprise)
Encryption : AES
Group Key Update Period:0 second
Wireless MAC Filtering: Disabled
DHCP : activated

My chromecast run on official build 17250 (edit : updated to 17977 today)

Last edited:

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Sorry, could you translate the error message from your screen grab into English?

As for your configuration, having two separate access points with the same SSID that aren't in repeater or mesh mode will cause problems, not just for Chromecast.

It's supposed to work with your TP link configured as a repeater, but you need to make sure Multicast packets pass through to the repeater. Chromecast uses multicast for discovery.

Also, I'm not sure what "Easy WiFi" on your main router does, but I would look to see if that might be screwing up your repeater configuration.

Tib44

May 6, 2011
the message in the screenshot say :

Unable to find the chromecast on your network, you might solve the problem by changing some settings on your wifi router.

I've just search for easy wifi and it's AOSS :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOSS

Also On my main router I have found UPNP (multicast) but I can't find it on the TP link AP

Tomorrow I will try to connect the chromecast to my tp link with an other SSID (different from the main router).

Last edited:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Aloso try using the HDMI extender on Chromecast, if you do not already use it. The closer Chromecast is to the television, the poorer its WiFi signal reception will be.

Tib44

May 6, 2011
So I have done a test :

I have used the HDMI extender and I have given a different SSID to my TP link and my main router after I have seen the same message on the screenshot and at the end it is write "cliquez ici"'
I also change the channel : on the tp link I put channel 13 and on the main router I put channel 6
that mean "click here" and the link is : https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3438461

Edit :

I've done another try

I have an other tp link router/AP unused at my home a TP Link WR702N

First try I have powered on the main router with ssid livebox-b80d
the TP WA801nd with the SSID livebox-b80d // AP Mode
the TP link WR702N with the SSID chromecastwifi //AP mode

all connected to the same network

I connected the chromecast to chromecastwifi AP and it works but to see the chromecast I have to connect my phone to chromecast wifi

So I have done another try I powered off the TP Link 801ND and I change the SSID of the TP link WR702N to livebox-b80d

And now all is working great

I think the WA801ND hasn't got the UPNP fonction that because it didn't works
I think the WR702N has the UPNP because it is recommanded for the SmartTV without wifi

So now it works with the WR702N

So the conclusion is the WA801ND is not compatible with the chromecast

Edit 2 :

Because I have 2 AP (the main router and the TP link) when I move in my house and the phone switch between the two AP I lost the connection with the chromecast
I can control the chromecast only if I am on the same AP (TP link AP)

I will try repeter mode insted of AP mode to try to fix that

Edit 3 :
The repeter mode dosn't works, the two AP are too far from each other I go back to AP Mode

Last edited:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Sounds like you might do better with a repeater that uses powerline connection to the router rather than WiFi, unless you can move the repeater closer.

Tib44

May 6, 2011
Yes I will try to bring it closer

I will comeback here if I found a solution

gabrielhopkins

Dec 11, 2014
Same problem on WA901ND

Yes I will try to bring it closer

I will comeback here if I found a solution

I've got the same problem on the TL-WA901ND. Using Powerline doesn't help.

I've started a discussion on the TP-link support group. (search TL-WA901ND Chromecast IGMP issues)

Did you ever come up with a solution?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
As for your configuration, having two separate access points with the same SSID that aren't in repeater or mesh mode will cause problems, not just for Chromecast.

It's supposed to work with your TP link configured as a repeater, but you need to make sure Multicast packets pass through to the repeater. Chromecast uses multicast for discovery.

I have to agree with @bhiga here....They should not have the same SSID unless you are in repeater or WISP mode.
AP mode requires a cable to get internet, Repeater just adds another signal boost in the area the repeater is in...WISP as far as I can tell only works on open public networks that require WebAuth and/or certificates to gain access.

I'm not sure about your model but I have the 702 and it does work with CCast,

So those settings you posted you can't even be sure you are not connecting to the main router cause when both have the same SSID the strongest signal wins.

vintermut

Apr 16, 2010
Prijedor
I have similar problem. I don't see my chromecast from chromecast app. But when I reboot my router and open app for the first time CC appears but on second open CC cannot be found.

mr.mohsinbaig

Jun 29, 2014
TL-WA901ND with Chromecast

I've got the same problem on the TL-WA901ND. Using Powerline doesn't help.

I've started a discussion on the TP-link support group. (search TL-WA901ND Chromecast IGMP issues)

Did you ever come up with a solution?

i do have the same issue. its very frustrating. i waste hours to try all option with my AP TL-WA901ND.
finally i enable hidden SSID on my router (compatible but 54mbps max) to connect with chromecast.
connect(smart IP) TPlink AP with Router and broadcast SSID. this way i manage to connect devices with chromcast under same network using two different SSID. i believe we need to wait for some time until there is any update for chromecast to connect with our AP . if you have any other solution please let me know. :crying::crying:

eitama

Sep 18, 2010
Hod Hasharon
For the WA901ND there's a firmware update that solves the issue.
Bug Fixed:
Fixed the directory traversal security bug.
Fixed the bug that the LAN getway does not take effect when TL-WA901ND is in Client mode.
Fixed a display error in the WDS scanning result page.
Fixed the bug that chromecast cannot work with TL-WA901ND.

nvnnagar

Feb 23, 2016
following instruction is shown
1. ensure you are not connected to VPN
2.if you have dual band router than it is not an ap isolation mode
3. if your router has MAC whitelisting ensure that yourwifi network allow this device and your chromecast to join
i m using tp link TD-W8968