FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] [r02 - 2015-12-13] Flashcast-AutoRoot

781 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,505

By ddggttff3, Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer on 13th December 2015, 08:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th May 2017, 08:03 AM |#281  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

Question for someone with a netflix account and a Rooted CCast....

Yes, 84839 still working fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghowse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ghowse Ad-Free

14th May 2017, 04:13 PM |#282  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMacD

That sounds right to me though. The new boot.img is the one to check the signature, so it would make sense that you'd be able to install and use the new system.img (or any system.img) with the old boot.img. You just can't (yet) use any system.img with the new boot.img.

So, in this spirit, I wanted to try modifying the new boot.img to modify the way it mounts the system back to the old way (or alternatively still via device mapper but without the verity module so it does not integrity checking). I unpacked a boot.img using unpackbootimg from mkbootimg and tried repacking it without any modification to see if the tooling can at least get a bootable image. Diffing it with the original boot.img shows that I probably didn't have the arguments right as the cmdline was stored at a different hex offset, but I tried anyway. I used cc-mangle-bootimg (assuming that it's required as a second step after mkbootimg) but it seems that I still don't have the right steps, rebooting still shows the "Chromecast..." screen, only this time it's flickering.

@Asphyx @ddggttff3 @KenMacD - any idea how to generate a bootable boot.img (and/or modify the official one from 84839)?
My thinking is also if somehow we can modify the later boot.img to correctly mount the system without verification we can potentially get it working again reliably. Or at least install further debugging into the initramfs so we can work out what's going wrong.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Also.. seems like bad news incoming.. after updating to 84839 with kernel from 80438, I got a new ota from Google, 88007. This one seems to not work with the older kernel and stays on the "Chromecast..." screen. I couldn't capture the original ota url but I copied the zip off if anyone wants to see what's changed: https://mega.nz/#!x34zVKzA!1Do37qYyX...kKBdjdkdn_mLuw
14th May 2017, 08:32 PM |#283  
Thanks Meter: 372

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghowse

Yes, 84839 still working fine.

Thanks...I don't have a Netflix account so I couldn't test it myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammw

[/COLOR]Also.. seems like bad news incoming.. after updating to 84839 with kernel from 80438, I got a new ota from Google, 88007. This one seems to not work with the older kernel and stays on the "Chromecast..." screen. I couldn't capture the original ota url but I copied the zip off if anyone wants to see what's changed: https://mega.nz/#!x34zVKzA!1Do37qYyX...kKBdjdkdn_mLuw

I haven't gotten any new updates yet on my unit but I was late to get it last time around. If the new OTA doesn't work with the old then I'm not sure much can be done as it makes sense that the boot.img was always signed and checked before. Perhaps I'm wrong about that and a custom boot.img could be made to remove that sig check and allow autoroot to work. But I'm betting it's going to take changes to autoroot to accommodate the new reality as opposed to creating a new boot.img and replacing the one from the OTA.
15th May 2017, 01:06 AM |#284  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

Thanks...I don't have a Netflix account so I couldn't test it myself...

Just to add some more info, which may or may not be relevant ...
- I am in Australia, using a CC bought from a US supplier. My test above was using the Australian Netflix.
- The main reason for rooting for us here in Australia is/was the ability to save smartDNS addresses directly on the device, to allow US Netflix to be received. Netflix only came to Australia officially in 2015. US Netflix has arguably better and greater content than that offered in Australia.
- Of late, being able to get US Netflix has become more difficult. This applies to nearly all platforms, not just CC. A SmartDNS service or VPN are not guaranteed to work, however I can still get US Netflix on my PC Netflix client (last time I checked). These days I normally simply use Aussie Netflix unless I really feel like chasing up the latest info, static routes etc.
- the local tech community has an ongoing thread on the various attempts to circumvent Netflix geoblocking. See https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2614016

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to ghowse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ghowse Ad-Free
15th May 2017, 01:12 AM |#285  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I had not realized the eureka app wasnt updated since 2015 so I tried updating to fix the chirping sound bug that has since been fixed on the Chromecast updates and luckily had everything to revert back.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
15th May 2017, 01:13 AM |#286  

More
I think the series leaking out has caused some of the crackdown on the Netflix side...

Just FYI as to why I was asking about Netflix...
https://torrentfreak.com/netflix-use...banned-170515/
15th May 2017, 07:16 PM |#287  
Thanks Meter: 402

More
Just a random thought, could it be Google implemented the 'Android Verified Boot' also for the Chromecast? See this post from Chainfire: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ified-t3600606
20th May 2017, 10:52 PM |#288  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I've again got the chromecast black screen. I thought it was not going to auto-update any more. I used some instructions from a few pages ago, and managed to get it to 84839. It looks like it still auto-updated.
21st May 2017, 09:02 AM |#289  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fink.nottle

I've again got the chromecast black screen. I thought it was not going to auto-update any more. I used some instructions from a few pages ago, and managed to get it to 84839. It looks like it still auto-updated.

You are mistaken...No one said it would not update once Google came out with a new Firmware...
21st May 2017, 09:13 AM |#290  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

You are mistaken...No one said it would not update once Google came out with a new Firmware...

Yes, it looks like it. Is it possible to disable autoupdates while a proper fix is determined ?
21st May 2017, 04:05 PM |#291  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fink.nottle

Yes, it looks like it. Is it possible to disable autoupdates while a proper fix is determined ?

Sorry but no...The only options are wait until a permanent fix for Autoroot is found or go back to stock using the files in THIS THREAD
But note if you go back to stock you lose Root Access.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)