FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM] [r02 - 2015-12-13] Flashcast-AutoRoot

781 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,506

By ddggttff3, Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer on 13th December 2015, 08:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th December 2015, 03:33 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 454

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoKeMaN

I ran this on my eureka rom Chromecast last night and the script seemed successful and then said rebooting, I saw flashcast on my tv but now it just shows white "chromecast..." letters on a black screen. I had it plugged into power on the TV's usb port during the process is there a chance it needed more power during the flash and got corrupt? Any ideas to try to revive it?

What white chromecast?
How long did you wait in recovery (flashcast)?
This new method is taking 5-10 minutes inside the recovery in order to flash an update. It used to take less than a minute, but I this auto-root method is more demanding.

26th December 2015, 03:40 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrem0

What white chromecast?
How long did you wait in recovery (flashcast)?
This new method is taking 5-10 minutes inside the recovery in order to flash an update. It used to take less than a minute, but I this auto-root method is more demanding.

I never unplugged in recovery, it did it's own rebooting. I set up a flashcast usb reverted to stock eureka and am trying again with a better power configuration, it is now in flashcast again we'll see if it's better this time =)

Update: booted, saw the chrome logo, looks to be all good now. Glad it was easy enough to recover for anyone that has already rooted with a power USB OTG, but might not be bad to have a warning for others that might be using tv power that a real power supply would be a good idea.
26th December 2015, 04:43 PM |#23  

More
Quote:

I never unplugged in recovery, it did it's own rebooting. I set up a flashcast usb reverted to stock eureka and am trying again with a better power configuration, it is now in flashcast again we'll see if it's better this time =)

Update: booted, saw the chrome logo, looks to be all good now. Glad it was easy enough to recover for anyone that has already rooted with a power USB OTG, but might not be bad to have a warning for others that might be using tv power that a real power supply would be a good idea.

I have three chromecasts powered by TV USB ports and updated them successfully. It's really odd what happened to yours. At least it was easy to recover it. That's one of the best features of rooted chromecasts. Having a modified recovery.
26th December 2015, 05:46 PM |#24  

Donate to Me
More
I'm sure some tvs supply more power than others too, anyway glad it's up and maybe this will help others.
27th December 2015, 07:18 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 374

More
Quote:

I'm sure some tvs supply more power than others too, anyway glad it's up and maybe this will help others.

Nah....5Volts is 5 Volts! LOL
The issue is the risk involved with using the TV which has a remote and can EASILY be shut off accidentally while it's in the process of an update.
27th December 2015, 02:26 PM |#26  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

Nah....5Volts is 5 Volts! LOL
The issue is the risk involved with using the TV which has a remote and can EASILY be shut off accidentally while it's in the process of an update.

I think you are joking but just to be clear for others reading. I definitely mean amps not volts and there is a difference. I know the raspberry pi would not run off this port and there is tons of info about those power supplies. My TV was not at risk of being turned off by remote as it wasn't the main one either =)
28th December 2015, 12:07 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Has anyone managed to get the latest update booting into the web interface? I'm wary of messing around with telnet as root.
28th December 2015, 06:26 PM |#28  
Flag Somewhere in Holland.
Thanks Meter: 45

More
For the record:
Currently on Eureka rom 44433.001

Telnet with PuTTY and execute these 3 commands one by one:
busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
/cache/install.sh

That should be sufficient? Also i try'd SSH instead of Telnet, bus whats the username/pass?
A web-interface should be rocking awesome, sadly enough i have not that much coding skills, i guess someone else have?

ddggttff3 and other teamEureka members, you are the best!
28th December 2015, 07:40 PM |#29  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietplezier

For the record:

busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
/cache/install.sh

That should be sufficient? Also i try'd SSH instead of Telnet, bus whats the username/pass?
A web-interface should be rocking awesome, sadly enough i have not that much coding skills, i guess someone else have?

Actually the latest Google Ota is later than that. I don't recall exactly but it is something like 46xxx.
Yes, only these 3 commands are needed in order to update.
Ssh credentials are:
login: root
no password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghowse

Has anyone managed to get the latest update booting into the web interface? I'm wary of messing around with telnet as root.

But once you use this auto-root method you'll only be able to access your chromecast via telnet (no ssh nor Web panel for now).
28th December 2015, 11:55 PM |#30  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietplezier

For the record:

/cache/install.sh

Thanks. I've done the update successfully. As mentioned in the OP, SSH is no longer available in the new version, only Telnet.

OP also says:
Q: How do I setup the EurekaROM Web Panel?
A: By default this ROM has no Web Panel, but this can be added by bootstrapping onto the custom startup script, but I will leave this up to you.

This is where I have ground to a halt because I can't find a text editor for use within Telnet. Also, I'm too scared to edit a script offline and copy back to the CC. Fear of bricking!

So ..... any ideas how to bootstrap the WebPanel?
Cheers
Geoff
31st December 2015, 05:32 AM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghowse

Thanks. I've done the update successfully. As mentioned in the OP, SSH is no longer available in the new version, only Telnet.

OP also says:
Q: How do I setup the EurekaROM Web Panel?
A: By default this ROM has no Web Panel, but this can be added by bootstrapping onto the custom startup script, but I will leave this up to you.

This is where I have ground to a halt because I can't find a text editor for use within Telnet. Also, I'm too scared to edit a script offline and copy back to the CC. Fear of bricking!

So ..... any ideas how to bootstrap the WebPanel?
Cheers
Geoff

So far, I have discovered that vi is in fact registered with Busybox, so at least I now have an editor. My problem now is to find out how to enable the webserver, and then create a script to load it at boot.

Or maybe there is an existing script with the command #commented out? I don't know and it's driving me crazy.

If you are out there ddggttff3, I hope you are following this clumsy story.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Another piece of the puzzle? https://github.com/team-eureka/Eureka-Panel

Should I try a busybox wget https://github.com/team-eureka/Eureka-Panel ?
The Following User Says Thank You to ghowse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ghowse Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)