FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][124602 - 2018-08-26] Unnamed Test

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By KenMacD, Junior Member on 26th August 2018, 11:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
For anyone still using a rooted chromecast but having issues with Netflix and paid content from Google, I put together a rom that may help. It's -alpha quality for now, but works for me.

You'll need to flash it with flashcast, and there's no automatic updates or services.

https://github.com/KenMacD/Eureka-RO...reka_image.zip

It's based on upstream release 124602, but with an old kernel and normal modifications to make it not update.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KenMacD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KenMacD Ad-Free

27th August 2018, 05:46 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 422

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMacD

For anyone still using a rooted chromecast but having issues with Netflix and paid content from Google, I put together a rom that may help. It's -alpha quality for now, but works for me.

You'll need to flash it with flashcast, and there's no automatic updates or services.

https://github.com/KenMacD/Eureka-RO...reka_image.zip

It's based on upstream release 124602, but with an old kernel and normal modifications to make it not update.

This is great. How can I install it into a flashcast rooted device? It's stuck in the chrome logo right now after an update which of course didn't fully get installed.
27th August 2018, 01:55 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileman88

This is great. How can I install it into a flashcast rooted device? It's stuck in the chrome logo right now after an update which of course didn't fully get installed.

Do you still have a flashcast-installed usb stick? If so then just copy eureka_image.zip to that, and then follow the same steps as you would have to install flashcast (boot with the button pressed).

If you have to make another flashcast usb stick then follow the instructions from: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2452838

It could probably be installed from the recovery you have now, but I haven't tested that so I don't have instructions yet.
27th August 2018, 08:37 PM |#4  
boston
Thanks Meter: 3

More
ah cool!

i was chasing something like this as one of the many pet projects i never get to.

ie: getting back to the last viable autoroot version, and making a tweak to disable auto update, and then producing sidechannel updates for flash cast that had dmverity/crypotab stuff off. think i was pretty close, but ran into issues getting the kernel repack to work since couldn't leverage the kernel params to point to the init (IIRC) - all had to be baked in.
27th August 2018, 10:41 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakxj7

ah cool!
i was chasing something like this as one of the many pet projects i never get to.

Same here. Autoroot would be nice, but first step first was seeing if things would actually work.

This is a kernel build from eureka_linux, which is based on oss release 1.16. The init.rc was just updated to remove the dmtable stuff and mount it directly.

From here it's probably pretty easy to do a EurekaROM-like release.
The Following User Says Thank You to KenMacD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KenMacD Ad-Free
7th September 2018, 03:59 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Awesome contribution, thank you. I turned on my Chromecast today just to find Netflix not working. I'd love to see this project evolve into something more advanced.
8th September 2018, 07:13 PM |#7  
boston
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Same here. Autoroot would be nice, but first step first was seeing if things would actually work.

This is a kernel build from eureka_linux, which is based on oss release 1.16. The init.rc was just updated to remove the dmtable stuff and mount it directly.

From here it's probably pretty easy to do a EurekaROM-like release.

ah, i was trying to go through the repack steps on one of the latter Google OTA updates, didn't think of just going for the Eureka linux builds! i recall they were doing some stuff with the graphics system on some of the 'latest' branches, is that in here or elsewhere?

i definitely wasn't going for it to be auto-updating like autoroot, but i did want to put busybox back in and some of the other basic mods. Was shooting for 'updates' to always be a manual step via flashcast. Shy of running your own OTA system like Eureka did, doing live mods on Goog's OTA's is always going to be brittle, since they could 'break' the mod script at any point.

re: dmtable, exactly yes. once we control the init, can just setup/mount the system plain-ways.
22nd September 2018, 05:57 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Recovery Instructions
First up. Let me just say thanks to KenMacD!! My chromecast has been borked for a couple of years and now it works again!

Quote:

It could probably be installed from the recovery you have now, but I haven't tested that so I don't have instructions yet.

Note: Per the release notes there is no ssh/telnet/web access after the flash

Here are steps to I used get it working via Recovery, output will follow...
  1. Reboot into Recovery. Not sure the exact way to do this (holding the button didn't work), it seems like I just disconnected and reconnected power a couple of times until it showed the "Please wait while your ChomeCast is updated..." screen.
  2. At this point the device should be connected to your wifi (assuming your AP is the same as when you set-up the chromecast back in the day)... so connect to it over SSH
  3. Next up put the image onto a usb stick (fat formatted), plug it into your Y-wire and mount it. (it might be possible to just scp the image to the flashcast, if you don't have Y-wire handy)
  4. Finally run flash-image on the zip file
  5. After flashing and cleanup message appears, reboot - all done.

Output from my run
Code:
[email protected]:~$ ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no [email protected] # password: letmein
[[email protected] ~]# mkdir /mnt/usb
[[email protected] ~]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
[[email protected] ~]# nohup flash-image /mnt/usb/eureka_image.zip & tail -f nohup.out  # Nohup isn't really needed because the process doesn't reboot automatically, but I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to firmware updating... 
[1] 704
nohup: appending output to nohup.out
Extracting /mnt/usb/eureka_image.zip (zip) to /tmp/tmp.lfOvoz
Archive:  /mnt/usb/eureka_image.zip
  inflating: boot.img
  inflating: imager.sh
  inflating: recovery.img
  inflating: system.img
Flashing mod at /tmp/tmp.lfOvoz
KennyROM-124602.001: Imager.sh now running
KennyROM-124602.001: Flashing Kernel...
Flashing ./boot.img to kernel (mtd2)
KennyROM-124602.001: Flashing System...
Flashing ./system.img to rootfs (mtd3)
KennyROM-124602.001: Script Finished!
Removing temporary mod directory /tmp/tmp.lfOvoz   <--- Once you see this, flashing is done
^C
[[email protected] ~]# reboot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironstorm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ironstorm Ad-Free
10th October 2018, 05:09 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Is there any way to get a chromecast back to stock?
20th November 2018, 04:29 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Android tv
Please help to install new ROM for my smart TV to install apps from google play because my device didnt alow me to install any app from google play....
Please help me
26th November 2018, 12:12 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstst2008

Please help to install new ROM for my smart TV to install apps from google play because my device didnt alow me to install any app from google play....
Please help me

You mean to say your tv is not allowing installation of apps found on google play running on your tv?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)