[Q] Why root the chromecast ?

94 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By Tib44, Member on 10th August 2014, 07:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th October 2016, 12:31 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Yep. The problem in trying to solve is stream movies/content to a tv in a cottage that has no internet or cell service. Nice vacation spot but off the grid. I know i can bring a laptop, but I'd rather just bring my phone & travel more lightly.
7th October 2016, 10:54 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 375

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailindawg

Yep. The problem in trying to solve is stream movies/content to a tv in a cottage that has no internet or cell service. Nice vacation spot but off the grid. I know i can bring a laptop, but I'd rather just bring my phone & travel more lightly.

Well it's just a matter of using the right tool for the right job....
Unfortunately the CCast is not the right tool for that situation!
And truth is neither is the Phone if it has no Cell Service.

In that situation you need a mobile device that has a separate HDMI and USB Port and the proper cabling so you can just plug the Phone HDMI into the TV and load the Video from the USB drive. (you need a special cable to plug a drive in)

I have an old Xoom Tablet with HDMI Docking station I use for those situations which has a VERY OLD version of XBMC on it. The 2TB USB drive has all the media on it and I control it from my phone using Yatse Remote.

I rarely use it since I also in most cases have a Laptop with me for work reasons that serves the same purpose as the Xoom.
25th October 2016, 11:22 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
the only thing i would want to root for would be to block ads, and i suppose there is no way of doing that,no way to add xposed youtube adaway
30th November 2019, 12:38 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i might be offtopic here, but i recently bought a Chromecast 3 to use it with a projector in a church (to display the song lyrics) and i cannot find an app that allows me to project "pptx" format or other slide-show format. Is there any app that does that? all the apps that i found let me share my screen but that's not what i'm looking for ( i don't want to stop my projector everytime i'm searching something on phone, or if i get a notification, i don't want everyone to see it).
Thank you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)