FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Screen casting with rooted Cc and no internet connection

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By Morphy99, Member on 1st March 2017, 01:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm trying to get my stock Pixel to screen cast reliably to a Chromecast in my car. I've tried with a wi-fi hotspot and this seemed to drop out randomly which wasn't helpful whilst driving and then other times it wouldn't see an internet connection through it despite the phone being online.
So I've gone down the road of using a raspberry pi as a portable hotspot and rooting a Chromecast. This is more reliable once connected however the process of connecting is a bit tricky. At the moment I have to give the Chromecast an internet connection through a USB tether to the pi then connect to the wi-fi and cast screen. Eventually disconnecting the tether and the phone falls back to cell data whilst still casting the screen. My question is can I stop a rooted Chromecast with Eureka ROM needing an internet connection to be able to receive screen casts? I must note for some reason it only needs to be connected once after boot after that it will still be able to cast to despite complaining of no internet connection. Which is different to what a non rooted Cc did so it's like it's almost there but not quite.

13th March 2017, 10:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphy99

I'm trying to get my stock Pixel to screen cast reliably to a Chromecast in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsch1988

I think the first thing to realize is, that the chromecast is not primarily intended as a screen mirror receiver. [...] There are great miracast receivers that do basically what you want.

@Morphy99 - You should try the Miracast receiver from Microsoft (Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2). Works great with my Nexus 7 (2013) on Android 6 and the app "SecondScreen" for screen ratio correction!
13th March 2017, 11:37 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Yes I realise this unfortunately with the Pixel unrooted miracast is not possible. Another reason I should have gone Samsung. Ive got a cheap ez cast dongle coming which hopefully will do it, although I'm sceptical at the minute. I'll update you if it works.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)