Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

simulate internet connection on raspberry to chromecast

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By HubbyHub, Junior Member on 28th May 2017, 06:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Dear community,

I have just setup a raspberry PI as a WIFI Router and connected the chromecast to the cretaed network. Unfortunately i had to realize that it will work
only with an active internet connection. I'm running a Plex server on the raspberry and my intention is to use the PI in combination with the Chromecast while traveling. Especially when there is no intenet available. Given the fact that the chromecast firmware is on the most current level a root is not going to work. I have found a very interesting article explaining the basics of the rCast mod and wondering whether it would be possible to simulate a working internet connection on the raspberry.

– CAST_SHELL AND NET_MGR MAKES HTTP REQUESTS TO GOOGLE SERVERS. I HAVE PATCHED THOSE BINARIES SO THEY MAKE REQUESTS TO THE LOCAL WEB SERVER INSTEAD.
– THE DEVICE MAKE A DNS LOOKUP SENT TO SERVER 8.8.8.8. I HAVE WORKED AROUND THAT BY CREATING AN ALIAS FOR 8.8.8.8 ON THE LOCAL HOST AND RUN A DNS SERVER.
– THE DEVICE WILL NOT FINISH BOOTING UNTIL IT HAS RECEIVED AN UPDATED TIME FROM POOL.NTP.ORG. THIS IS FIXED BY ADDING POOL.NTP.ORG AS 127.0.0.1 IN THE HOSTS FILE, AND LOCALLY RUNNING A SNTP SERVER.
THOSE WORKAROUNDS WILL LET THE DEVICE START UP NORMALLY EVEN WHEN NETWORK IS MISSING.

Does anyone have already experience in this kind of work or could help me to figure if this could work.

Many Thanks
HubbyHub

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)