FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Any solutions to auto power on Amp?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By mentosmentos, Junior Member on 3rd November 2015, 10:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm currently running a Squeezebox based Multiroom audio setup at home. Everything is co-located in a comms cupboard including the Multiroom Amp and from there wired to the ceiling speakers around the house. Currently I use iPeng on our mobiles to control everything including WoL to wake the LMS server. The LMS in turn has one of its USB ports connected to a USB triggered energy saving plug (EOn Intelliplug - USB version), which the Amp is connected to. So when the LMS wakes it triggers power to the AMP and when it sleeps the AMP is powered off.

This has worked well until we started using Spotify (which comes free with our mobile contracts). And also things like Apple Play don't work with my current setup which would be useful when people come around and want to play there own music. There are some hacks and third party plugins but with official support for Squeezebox dropped by Logitech I'm thinking it may be time to move on. I've just been waiting for a reasonably priced alternative that supports syncing of playback across zones and with the now coming to chrome cast it seems like the best route. Especially since Spotify now supports casting aswell

The only caveat is once I drop the LMS from the equation, how do I now trigger the AMP to power on. I have considered swapping the AMP out for smaller discrete AMP's for each zone, but the reasonable priced ones (like SMSL-SA-50) don't support input auto sensing based power on.

Has anyone found a solution to this conundrum? Any triggers from the Chromecast that can be used via some sort of power switch? Or a reasonably priced small AMP with input auto sensing?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

24th September 2017, 07:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Did you ever figure anything out? I have the SMSL SA-50 Plus and its auto off when on optical is driving me bonkers.
24th September 2017, 08:21 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nope, I connected one chrome cast to the living room zone. That zone uses the surround system so didn’t need to worry about amp power on/off. The other zones are still on the squeezebox system.

What do you mean the amp turns off? Does the SMSL have auto power off on no input?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)