FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Someone else is on a different SSID yet they can still hijack my chromecast.

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By Aarix, Member on 6th December 2018, 04:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey there,
I have a roommate who likes to mess with my Chromecast. The network setup is as follows

ARRIS modem\router ------------------------------------- DLINK Router > > > > > Their devices
v
v
V
My Devices

Yet they are still able to talk to each other. The modes on the dlink was AP mode, WDS with AP, WDS, and wireless client. WDS alone cuts off internet access altogether. I am unable to understand the concept of VLAN tagging and no resource I spent a month researching has helped. I don't know a lot about how it works. Do they need to be on a different subnet? Octet? What are my options to give the Dlink DAP-2553 ONLY!!!! internet access. There is no guest option anywhere except on the ARRIS router (Which is out of range)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

8th December 2018, 06:26 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
you need one more router between your devices and arris router. This way you isolate your devices from his devices. You can google "three routers" from Steve to better understand this concept. You have two routers, you need one more.
regards,
9th April 2019, 02:05 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Zoetermeer
Thanks Meter: 334

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarix

Hey there,
I have a roommate who likes to mess with my Chromecast. The network setup is as follows

ARRIS modem\router ------------------------------------- DLINK Router > > > > > Their devices
v
v
V
My Devices

Yet they are still able to talk to each other. The modes on the dlink was AP mode, WDS with AP, WDS, and wireless client. WDS alone cuts off internet access altogether. I am unable to understand the concept of VLAN tagging and no resource I spent a month researching has helped. I don't know a lot about how it works. Do they need to be on a different subnet? Octet? What are my options to give the Dlink DAP-2553 ONLY!!!! internet access. There is no guest option anywhere except on the ARRIS router (Which is out of range)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Maybe you can setup a SSID on a VLAN (vlan99) for guests, and set this VLAN(vlan99) on the ARRIS to just block requests to VLAN(vlan 1).
This will most likely help you to have no 'funny' youtube movies from friends and family that visit you
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)