FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[APP] Button Launcher (button shortcuts/combinations) for Android Wear

1,372 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,187
 
By moneytoo, Recognized Developer on 28th February 2018, 07:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Button Launcher is a completely free software for Android Wear 2.0 that allows you to define what apps will be launched based on up to two button press combination.

There is currently no other software for something like that. The "Wear Button Remapper" is paid app that allows remapping of long press primary button ("home"). "Bubble Cloud Wear Launcher" can do the same for free and it also add's detection for second longpress but the later is a paid feature.

For watches with only single (primary/home) button, there are only two shortcuts to set. The first is just long press that primary button followed with no other button press (within a configured timeout), the second are two long presses of primary button in a row.

Watches like Huawei Watch 2 with 2 hardware buttons allow for 4 different shortcuts:
  • Long press home button + no other action
  • Long press home button + long press home button
  • Long press home button + short press secondary button
  • Long press home button + long press secondary button
And additional 4 shortcuts if you map secondary button to start Button Launcher (in System Settings -> Personalisation -> Customise hardware buttons)
  • Secondary button press + no other action
  • Secondary button press + long press home button
  • Secondary button press + short press secondary button (A)
  • Secondary button press + short press secondary button (A)

Click image for larger version

Name:	output.png
Views:	1786
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	4433728 Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2018-03-06-001818.png
Views:	1650
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	4439428 Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2018-02-28-000000.png
Views:	1810
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	4433730 Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2018-02-28-000248.png
Views:	1702
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	4433731

TODOs/Limitations
  • On watches with more than 2 buttons it's currently not possible (? looking for help) to create shortcut combinations starting with specific secondary button (what short press button was used to start Button Launcher). Making that work would probably require creating additional app shortcuts listed in the stock drawer/launcher.
  • The launch screen displays icon of an app that will be launched when time runs out. My final vision is to also show smaller icons of apps launched by button presses, closed to positions of real hardware buttons. Done

Download
Get it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.wear.butcher

Please leave your feedback and requests. It will help prioritize future features and development.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
1st March 2018, 12:00 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I tried the app and really like it. For my use, it would be nice to be able to select google assistant as one point and the already mentioned symbols on the to-do list would be nice. As an additional feature, I could imagine an option to just make the app only usable on the second button. So the top is working normal, lower button gives you several options.
All in all, it works flawless and is really useful, thank you so much for it.
1st March 2018, 01:18 PM |#3  
codesplice's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville, AL, USA
Thanks Meter: 962
 
More
I like the idea, but not being able to launch Assistant directly kind of kills it for me. "OK Google" is way too unreliable so I've gotten used to just long-pressing to access Assistant. I'm not quite ready to give that up. Hopefully this won't be too difficult to implement.
1st March 2018, 10:40 PM |#4  
moneytoo's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,187
 
Donate to Me
More
@Vegatta @codesplice
Latest version (0.2) lists assistant apps in list of all apps. In my case the entry point for Google Assistant has no special name co it's just "Google". That should allow you to map it whetever you like.
Now I'm thinking whatever the long press primary button should be set to Assistant by default or should take user to the Settings screen. Well, maybe set Assistant as default and open Settings on the first launch. But that maybe a bit later. I have also fixed some bugs and will watch for other possible issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2018, 11:56 PM |#5  
Jsilver73's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Christchurch UK
Thanks Meter: 2,301
 
More
I'm trying to get this app to work on my misfit vapour running Android wear 2 (Oreo).

I open it from my launcher and try clicking any of the options but nothing happens, long pressing the button brings up the app icon, but I can't interact with it at all.

Please can you help me to get this working, what I really want to do is to be able to enter theatre mode with long press.

TIA

Sent from my OnePlus5 using XDA Labs
2nd March 2018, 12:34 AM |#6  
codesplice's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville, AL, USA
Thanks Meter: 962
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

@Vegatta @codesplice
Latest version (0.2) lists assistant apps in list of all apps. In my case the entry point for Google Assistant has no special name co it's just "Google". That should allow you to map it whetever you like.

Works brilliantly! Thanks so much for addressing that so quickly. Now I can see myself using this a lot!
2nd March 2018, 09:13 PM |#7  
moneytoo's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,187
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsilver73

I open it from my launcher and try clicking any of the options but nothing happens, long pressing the button brings up the app icon, but I can't interact with it at all.

Did you get to the Settings screen similar to those on pictures (just with less configurable options if your watch has only one button)? Button Launcher detects how it was launched (from launcher or button press) so it shows either Settings or actual screen used for launching configured apps (the one with app icon). Did you use system app drawer (launcher) or some 3rd party one? I can see that this can be a bug or unhandled case in Button Launcher and I was planning on testing starting Button Launcher from other 3rd party launchers.
4th March 2018, 12:53 AM |#8  
Jsilver73's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Christchurch UK
Thanks Meter: 2,301
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

Did you get to the Settings screen similar to those on pictures (just with less configurable options if your watch has only one button)? Button Launcher detects how it was launched (from launcher or button press) so it shows either Settings or actual screen used for launching configured apps (the one with app icon). Did you use system app drawer (launcher) or some 3rd party one? I can see that this can be a bug or unhandled case in Button Launcher and I was planning on testing starting Button Launcher from other 3rd party launchers.

Launching from stock launcher, my device is misfit vapour - nothing is selected by tapping on either the app icon when it launched on long press nor the dialogue in the apps seeing apart from the long press time out setting which I can change.

Sent from my OnePlus5 using XDA Labs
4th March 2018, 12:02 PM |#9  
moneytoo's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,187
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsilver73

Launching from stock launcher, my device is misfit vapour - nothing is selected by tapping on either the app icon when it launched on long press nor the dialogue in the apps seeing apart from the long press time out setting which I can change.

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that you don't have the two options: "Default action" and "+ Long press" in the "Long press primary button" category, right? The availability depends on the number of your watch buttons. As your watch has only the primary button, you should still see these options.
I think I could add a test (print button count) to the help section so we should be able to verify whatever it's because of this or not.
4th March 2018, 04:19 PM |#10  
Jsilver73's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Christchurch UK
Thanks Meter: 2,301
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that you don't have the two options: "Default action" and "+ Long press" in the "Long press primary button" category, right? The availability depends on the number of your watch buttons. As your watch has only the primary button, you should still see these options.
I think I could add a test (print button count) to the help section so we should be able to verify whatever it's because of this or not.

Yep that's right, the settings from the app show up, wait, let me switch to browser and I'll upload some photos
4th March 2018, 05:09 PM |#11  
Jsilver73's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Christchurch UK
Thanks Meter: 2,301
 
More
This is what I see on my watch, but neither of those screens allows me to select anything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_162523.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	4437249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_162538.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	4437250  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes