FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][MOD] Spotify Lite - scaled for standalone use on Wear OS

1,373 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,196

Post Reply Email Thread
This is a mod of the Spotify Lite v0.6.6. The official Spotify app for Wear OS is not able to stream music standalone. Sideloading any Spotify works but the UI is obviously giant on Wear OS - see this recent Spotify screenshot from Wear OS.

It's possible to change system wide density but it takes away the usability and look of Wear OS. I did a quick experiment with pure resource mod and it works surprisingly nice so I'm sharing it with you. Downscaling other well written apps is therefore possible.

What it took:
  • Replace all sizes (dip/sp in layouts, dimens etc.) - I divided them by 2
  • Few quick fixes - set bottom tab layout alignment to center instead of fill, set custom height for actionBarSize, set horizontal margin for toolbar (so far only on Home screen)
It takes only quite a few commands to create such downscaled modded app. The current version of the size replacement script is really ugly and slow but I think that it would make a great universal script/tool for conversion of any user app (right?)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	spotify-lite-wear-screenshot.png
Views:	1950
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	4548462 Click image for larger version

Name:	spotify-lite-wear-screenshot-2.png
Views:	1928
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	4548511 Click image for larger version

Name:	spotify-lite-wear-screenshot-3.png
Views:	1902
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	4548512

Spotify Lite mod is attached to this post. (Lite version doesn't support offline playback but the whole app is supposed to be snappy.)
Full version of modded Spotify (8.4.62.490) is available from mega.nz or AndroidFileHost. Mod v2 (improved top toolbar): mega.nz or AndroidFileHost.

Here's the raw (but trivial) tool - WearModder.jar

How to use it:

Code:
# Decompile apk
java -jar apktool_2.3.3.jar d spotify-lite.apk

# Mod resources (use directory or individual files as arguments)
java -jar WearModder.jar spotify-lite/res

# Perform additional manual tweaks

# Build apk
java -jar apktool_2.3.3.jar b spotify-lite

# Sign
keytool -genkey -v -keystore my-release-key.keystore -alias alias_name -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 10000
jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore my-release-key.keystore spotify-lite/dist/spotify-lite.apk alias_name
WearModder modifies all files in-place so do not run it more than once on the same files (d'oh). Feel free to try modding your favorite apps and let me know how well it works.
Attached Files
File Type: apk spotify-lite-wear-mod.apk - [Click for QR Code] (5.11 MB, 4716 views)
File Type: jar WearModder.jar - [Click for QR Code] (2.7 KB, 358 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]

13th July 2018, 01:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
This is probably the coolest thing I've seen here for a while! If this app would have existed when I had my Huawei Watch, I probably wouldn't have sold it!

GJ. This could be a game changer for Wear OS. Sad that such things doesn't come from Google directly.

I want to see more screenshots of such apps!
13th July 2018, 03:47 PM |#3  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Great! It's possibile to download offline music using a premium account?
Thanks
13th July 2018, 04:35 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Amazing job!
I am testing this like for an hour now and well it is buttery smooth on my old but amazing Huawei Watch.
I used Wearify (third party app) for spotify music on my watch without the phone but this app was limited to playlists only.

With this solution i can search for music on my watch and play them. and it works really well.
only think to note for people with spotify premium:
I have spotify premium but it shows only the option to shuffle play and i CANNOT save music for offline playback.
but still i wasn't expecting offline playback. only think i expected was a horrible but at least working search button.
But while it is true that it works, it is such an amazing smooth experience so well done!
13th July 2018, 06:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer314

Great! It's possibile to download offline music using a premium account?
Thanks

You can't with Spotify Lite yet
13th July 2018, 06:52 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Could you do the same with the normal Spotify app? So that we get offline playback! Thanks!
13th July 2018, 08:23 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,196

Donate to Me
More
I'm not a Spotify subscriber but I will try modding the full version of Spotify next (I'm really curious how well it will go). I have just learned that there is "Wearify for Spotify" (also online only) so something for actual offline playback is welcome I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th July 2018, 11:37 PM |#8  
Flag roma
Thanks Meter: 8

More
How can i install it? Thanks
14th July 2018, 02:28 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 720

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuoshino

How can i install it? Thanks

adb install app-name.apk
The Following User Says Thank You to kryzeK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kryzeK Ad-Free
14th July 2018, 06:26 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Let me know if you need help testing offline playback, if you think of a way to include it somehow.

Thanks for the work!
14th July 2018, 10:39 AM |#11  
Flag Valencia
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Not playing anything for me in my Huawei Watch 2. It opens it finds songs but cannot play them it says something is wrong with internet (even it can find whatever you search)...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)