Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

How to install TWRP recovery and achieve root on the WEAR24 watch

19 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By Undergroundstudents, Junior Member on 23rd April 2018, 05:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
THIS THREAD IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ATTN: Proceed at your own risk. The following procedures could not only physically damage your device but also could damage the software rendering the device useless. I assume no responsibility

At this time you will be required to remove the rear casing of your wear24, which involves removing Tri-point screws as well as heating the casing to soften the adhesive. I am also in the process of developing a method that would not require you to remove the rear case but instead puncture it 4 times. More info to come

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Undergroundstudents For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Undergroundstudents Ad-Free

23rd April 2018, 06:09 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Pensacola

Donate to Me
More
Building usb connection device
The first step is to build a device, to connect to the usb pinout on the WEAR24 circuit board.

Simply take a standard usb 2.0 or 3.0 cable, strip the ends to reveal 4 separate colors, consisting of RED WHITE Green and Black

Then take 4 standard male to male breadboard jumper cables, solder the ends of the usb cable to each jumper cable.

Paying attention to the colors associated with the usb end of the cable. line the non-soldered ends in the following order and wrap electrical tape around the black plastic connector to keep the pins in the correct order and sturdy.

Red-TP1
Green-TP2
White-TP3
Black-TP4

You should then have a usb cable attached to 4 prong fork looking connector.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Undergroundstudents For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Undergroundstudents Ad-Free
23rd April 2018, 06:35 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Pensacola

Donate to Me
More
Removing rear cover of watch
This part can result in permanent damage to your watch casing. Be careful as the plastic cover is very fragile

You will need
  • Y000 Tri-point bit for the back plate.
  • Suction-Cup
  • Tweezers
  • Guitar pick or other thin plastic tool for prying
  • Heat Gun

Start by using the tri-point bit to remove the 4 screws located on the back plate. You may need to utilize tweezers in order to remove the screws.

Once the screws have been removed. Utilize the low setting and heat the back casing around the edges with the heat gun for approximately 2 - 3 minutes, making sure to keep the heat gun nozzle approximately 3-4 inches from the plate. Avoid heating the straps as they contain your antennas for your LTE, WIFI, and BT.

Immediately, use the suction cup on the rear cover to try and pull up on the cover.
A small gap should form between the cover and the watch.
Slide the guitar pick in between this gap.
Use the guitar pick to help separate the cover from the watch

NOTE: Do not try and separate the cover using the screw holes or the speaker holes. Nor by prying the edge without forming the gap first, you will damage the plastic if you try. It's very fragile

Using the guitar pick, carefully separate the wireless charging coil from the rear of the watch. Do not remove it. Simply separate and allow it to bend out of the way.

Carefully peel back the tape and foil covering the SIM card.
I lightly scored the tape with a utility knife and peeled it away.

On the board itself, there should be a small black rectangular tape.
Using tweezers, peel away the black tape exposing 4 round gold contact point on the board.

TP1 TP2 TP3 TP4 should be listed next to each of the round gold contact points
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Undergroundstudents For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Undergroundstudents Ad-Free
24th April 2018, 04:08 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Pensacola

Donate to Me
More
Software Installation
You will need the following:
  • ADB & FASTBOOT from Android SDK
  • Prior knowledge of ADB and FASTBOOT on the O/S of your choice
  • TWRP RECOVERY IMG
  • SuperUser installer zip
  • The make-shift USB connector you created earlier
  • Patience

Make sure your watch is up to date with system and play store updates.
Go into Settings, System, About, and click on the Build number 5 times to enable developer options.

Go into Settings, Developer Options, and make sure ADB debugging and debug over Wifi are both enabled.

Download the TWRP Recovery img from TeamWin @
https://teamw.in/quanta/verizonwear24.html

Download SuperSU with busybox YDS included at the bottom of this post

Place both files in the same directory as ADB and FASTBOOT on your O/S

Plug the make-shift usb connector into your computer.

Open command prompt on host computer over wifi with ADB
Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.xxx
On Watch accept the remote connection.

On command prompt on host computer over wifi with ADB
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
The watch should boot into bootloader mode

On command prompt on host computer with ADB
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
Using the make-shift usb connector touch the following pin colors to the gold contact pins on the back of the watch

Red-TP1
Green-TP2
White-TP3
Black-TP4

Click OK on Watch screen to Unlock (NOTE: this will factory wipe your watch!)

Once the watch reboots, proceed with setting up your watch for the first time.

Note: The initial bootup on the watch will take longer than normal, do not be alarmed

Go into Settings, System, About, and click on the Build number 5 times to enable developer options.

Go into Settings, Developer Options, and make sure ADB debugging and debug over Wifi are both enabled.

Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.xxx
On Watch accept the remote connection.

Download SuperSU with busybox YDS included from the bottom of this post and move it to watch with adb push to /sdcard
Code:
adb push nameofzip.zip /sdcard/
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
On command prompt on host computer with ADB
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Using the make-shift usb connector touch the following pin colors to the gold contact pins on the back of the watch

Red-TP1
Green-TP2
White-TP3
Black-TP4

On Watch click Allow Modifications

On Watch click Install

On Watch select SuperSu file uploaded prior

On Watch slide confirm

On Watch wipe davlik/cache

Reboot to system

Note: The initial bootup on the watch will take longer than normal, do not be alarmed
Attached Files
File Type: zip SuperSU-2.79-wear.zip - [Click for QR Code] (11.10 MB, 290 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Undergroundstudents For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Undergroundstudents Ad-Free
24th April 2018, 08:38 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Pensacola

Donate to Me
More
Install apps that require root for testing
Once the watch has successfully booted, download the Advance Settings app from the play store.

Once the app is installed, if upon opening the app you experience no errors, you have successfully installed TWRP and rooted your watch.

You can now use the Advanced Settings app to reboot the watch directly into recovery and access TWRP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Undergroundstudents For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Undergroundstudents Ad-Free
28th April 2018, 10:48 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks for the way directions
Could you please post the superSu zip the link you posted is dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stern.m33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stern.m33 Ad-Free
29th April 2018, 12:19 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Pensacola

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stern.m33

Could you please post the superSu zip the link you posted is dead.

Certainly! I updated the post to contain the su zip file. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Undergroundstudents For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Undergroundstudents Ad-Free
29th April 2018, 02:10 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,941

Donate to Me
More
Could you ask a mod to move / tag your thread so it appears here?
1st May 2018, 09:45 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Pensacola

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yochananmarqos

Could you ask a mod to move / tag your thread so it appears here?

I am not aware of any mods that I could contact. I would love to have it listed there though. I updated my tag to reflect those listed there.
1st May 2018, 10:00 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,941

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undergroundstudents

I am not aware of any mods that I could contact. I would love to have it listed there though. I updated my tag to reflect those listed there.

At the top of every sub-forum there's a Moderators button that lists mods assigned to that particular sub-forum. I would PM SacredDeviL666, he's cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to yochananmarqos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yochananmarqos Ad-Free
1st May 2018, 11:19 PM |#11  
Flag Montana
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undergroundstudents

Thanks for the write up!

I just got my watch (haven't opened it yet) and want to confirm, I should go ahead and update it to the latest firmware before I even attempt to take the back off?
I wasn't sure if the bootloader was only unlockable on AW 1.0
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
verizon-wear24

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)