Wear24: Able to use as standalone LTE device (on Verizon) without Message+?

Search This thread

Big Boy Laroux

Jun 4, 2012
Hi all, like many, I was able to get a good deal on the Wear24. I've searched and read through many of the posts here, but have not found an answer to my question:

Has anyone successfully enabled the Wear24 to use as a standalone device (added to their Verizon data plan, able to get its own data and make phone calls) and NOT use Message+ for messaging?

I see plenty of posts about being able to use Android Messages instead, but they involve not linking to your Verizon plan/phone number (bypassing that part of setup, then disabling Message+). I'd like to be able to have my Wear24 act as a standalone device on Verizon (for data, primarily, but also calls), but not be limited to Message+ for messaging (or have to use any other bloatware).

Thanks in advance!

dbregman

Aug 2, 2010
From what I have read you need to use Message+ to do the number sync between the phone and the watch.

dwbentley

May 5, 2011
In all honesty I used to use Android messenger but I've switched over to message+ long before I got this watch. They've improved it so much I actually prefer it over any messenger out there. Maybe give it another try, it may just solve your problem? Just a thought

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

In all honesty I used to use Android messenger but I've switched over to message+ long before I got this watch. They've improved it so much I actually prefer it over any messenger out there. Maybe give it another try, it may just solve your problem? Just a thought

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Jbuch84

May 14, 2010
I was able to switch to use Android Messages and keep LTE and number sync. Here's how I did it...

1. Activate watch on Verizon and go through the steps to step up calling and messaging with Messages+. This is important as it creates the association between the watch's mobile number and your phone's mobile number for number sync.
2. Let watch update to Android 2.0 if it hasn't done so already
3. Do a factory reset on the watch
4. On reboot, readd watch to Android Wear app on your phone but DO NOT activate calling, instead click SKIP.
5. Promptly go to play store on your watch and download Android Messages and let it install
6. Go to settings/apps/system apps on the watch and disable both Messages+ and wear24.

That should do the trick! I've tested it by turning the host phone off, switching watch to LTE only connection and was able to send and receive texts from Android Messages. These texts had my phone's mobile # on them as proof that number sync still works. After that I also signed into Play Music on the watch and was able to stream music without issue.

There are a few issues that I haven't worked out yet but are definitely not deal breakers.
1. I can no longer make calls from the watch in LTE only mode. Honestly, the speaker on this watch is junk so I don't mind.. When connected via Bluetooth it still works also.
2. Can't initiate texts via Google Assistant. Again, not a deal breaker at all. You can still reply either directly from notification or the Android Messages app itself.

I believe both of these shortcomings could be corrected if someone could figure out how to change the default messaging and calling apps in Android Wear to point elsewhere than Messages+.

After making these changes I'm pretty happy with my $50 investment! Hopefully these changes will help you guys as well. If someone were to figure out nfc and Android Pay I'd never look at my Gear S2 again :)

Reactions: DA6030 and dattguy

gkaz24

Jul 11, 2014
I was able to switch to use Android Messages and keep LTE and number sync. Here's how I did it...

1. Activate watch on Verizon and go through the steps to step up calling and messaging with Messages+. This is important as it creates the association between the watch's mobile number and your phone's mobile number for number sync.
4. On reboot, readd watch to Android Wear app on your phone but DO NOT activate calling, instead click SKIP.
5. Promptly go to play store on your watch and download Android Messages and let it install
6. Go to settings/apps/system apps on the watch and disable both Messages+ and wear24.

That should do the trick! I've tested it by turning the host phone off, switching watch to LTE only connection and was able to send and receive texts from Android Messages. These texts had my phone's mobile # on them as proof that number sync still works. After that I also signed into Play Music on the watch and was able to stream music without issue.

There are a few issues that I haven't worked out yet but are definitely not deal breakers.
1. I can no longer make calls from the watch in LTE only mode. Honestly, the speaker on this watch is junk so I don't mind.. When connected via Bluetooth it still works also.
2. Can't initiate texts via Google Assistant. Again, not a deal breaker at all. You can still reply either directly from notification or the Android Messages app itself.

I believe both of these shortcomings could be corrected if someone could figure out how to change the default messaging and calling apps in Android Wear to point elsewhere than Messages+.

After making these changes I'm pretty happy with my $50 investment! Hopefully these changes will help you guys as well. If someone were to figure out nfc and Android Pay I'd never look at my Gear S2 again :)

Do you have to pay additionally for the watch data? I bought it for 50 bucks off tech rabbit

I can't get LTE to work on my watch? Any steps to get that to work. I have a Verizon pixel 2. Do I need message+ on my phone?

Last edited:

liftedplane

Jun 20, 2011
Tacoma
Do you have to pay additionally for the watch data? I bought it for 50 bucks off tech rabbit

I can't get LTE to work on my watch? Any steps to get that to work. I have a Verizon pixel 2. Do I need message+ on my phone?
You do have to pay an additional $5 per month, and a $30 activation fee to get stand alone lte through vzw. You also get another line in your account for it with its own number. I just did this, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly because I use yaata not android messenger or messages+.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

gkaz24

Jul 11, 2014

You do have to pay an additional $5 per month, and a $30 activation fee to get stand alone lte through vzw. You also get another line in your account for it with its own number. I just did this, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly because I use yaata not android messenger or messages+.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Oh didn't realize you had to pay! Not worth it for me! I always have my phone anyway! The watch is great even without LTE stand alone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.