[APP][18.01.2017] StickMount v3.50 [ROOT]

Search This thread

jmark13

Nov 28, 2012
Oak Park
My N7 tablet reboots when I unplug the OTG cable after unmounting. I am using Jelly Belly v11 (4.2.1) with Leankernel 5.1.1, as well as stickmount pro 2.1. Any suggestions. I've had this happen on other ROMs as well which I always clean install. Any idea how to fix?

oct_7

Jun 14, 2010
The file structure thing has nothing to do with Stickmount, it's entirely because the version of CWM you have on there is not updated for the file system changes Google made with 4.2. Update your CWM to the latest version (or even better, swap to the latest TWRP), and this will stop happening.

My bad. Thanks for the info.

DANOFDANGER

Jul 27, 2011
My N7 tablet reboots when I unplug the OTG cable after unmounting. I am using Jelly Belly v11 (4.2.1) with Leankernel 5.1.1, as well as stickmount pro 2.1. Any suggestions. I've had this happen on other ROMs as well which I always clean install. Any idea how to fix?

I get this too, cant leave the tab on with something plugged in otherwise it just turns off.

AlexGraves

Feb 20, 2012
-6.152345, 106.835542

Does it happen on stock 4.2.1 as well?

I am running rooted stock 4.2.1 Android and never experience any of that.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Matchstick

Aug 1, 2008
Is there an easy way to tell of the NTFS and exFAT binaries are being picked up ?

I've copied the ntfs-3g and mount.exfat-fuse files to the root of internal storage on my Nexus 7 but I'm still only getting read-only NTFS support and I'm not sure if that'a because the binaries aren't being picked up by Stickmount or if they just aren't compatible.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

This doesn't happen on my stock N7. Stuff like this is *usually* the kernel.

creeve4

Jan 5, 2011
Bountiful
Galaxy Nexus running Stock Android 4.1.2 with franco.Kernel r300 and Stickmountv2.10.

I have a 64 GB Transcend flash drive formatted as FAT32.

I put a few mp3 files on the drive to test Stickmount. When I connect the drive, Stickmount recognizes it and the "Preparing USB storage" notification appears and runs for about 2 minutes. Then I get a popup notification from Stickmount telling me the drive is mounted, but immediately after I get another popup Stickmount notification telling me the drive is now unmounted and a notification which says "Removed USB storage." I then try manually mounting and unmounting neither of which have any effect.

Also, while the "Preparing USB storage" process is running, if my screen goes off I cannot wake my phone.

Faulty cable? Drive too big (there are only 10 mp3 files totaling ~100 Mb)? Hardware issue? Stickmount issue?

Last edited:

O2Blevel

Sep 15, 2012

My tablet will freeze and reboot if after dismounting I remove the otg cable + usb stick. This happens to me on the LeanKernel and 4.2, but not with the LeanKernel and 4.1.2. The funny thing is it will freeze and reboot by removing just the otg cable by itself. This also happens with the trinity kernel, but not the stock kernel. I use the stock ROM.

creeve4

Jan 5, 2011
Bountiful
Galaxy Nexus running Stock Android 4.1.2 with franco.Kernel r300 and Stickmountv2.10.

I have a 64 GB Transcend flash drive formatted as FAT32.

I put a few mp3 files on the drive to test Stickmount. When I connect the drive, Stickmount recognizes it and the "Preparing USB storage" notification appears and runs for about 2 minutes. Then I get a popup notification from Stickmount telling me the drive is mounted, but immediately after I get another popup Stickmount notification telling me the drive is now unmounted and a notification which says "Removed USB storage." I then try manually mounting and unmounting neither of which have any effect.

Also, while the "Preparing USB storage" process is running, if my screen goes off I cannot wake my phone.

Faulty cable? Drive too big (there are only 10 mp3 files totaling ~100 Mb)? Hardware issue? Stickmount issue?

Formatted the drive as ext2. Now Stickmount mounts it, but nothing is displayed on the drive. I triggered a media rescan, still nothing. Just an empty sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 folder.

The light on the USB drive turns on and blinks (indicating that it is being accessed).
I have the PRO version and have selected automatic media scanning and to kill processes that may be using the drive
My Nexus is rooted and running SuperSU.

UPDATE:
I was able to get the USB drive working after creating two ~32GB partitions on the drive. I guess 64GB is too much?

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Automount used to work on Xperia Ray (sirkay - xKernel) no more :(

I use the external sticks only rarely but older versions of stickmount have well auto-mounted all my USB sticks.

Now I noticed that still stickmount is fired up (toast message) but it does not find a drive then. Manually starting stickmount and then pushing "Mount" will always work. Also if there is another mount-helper, so you have to choose which one to pick until you made a default selection, then selecting stickmount will also work with automount.

So it seems pretty clear that the initialization of the USB device may take some more time than stickmount is spending by default.
As older versions worked - can I get access to those? Or could you add a delay option before starting to search a drive on the USB?

BTW: Many of my simple card-readers (which look like a USB-stick) will not be hooked on USB correctly as they draw too much power from the line - at least they announce that to the device - and so they are not hooked right and subsequent program access (like from stickmount) do not succeed. You can check for the powerclass easily on your PC with Nir Sofer's USB DevView. For my device those with 100mA work, but 500mA do no more. This is sad, as the smallest good microSD reader I have from SanDisk (MobileMate Micro) claims 500mA and it fails :(

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
utf8 support - this way it works for me

I noticed that all mounted sticks are not correctly supporting extended characters like German Umlauts (äöü). I can either have them on the device correct (read/write) or if the stick is on the PC (read/write). Cross-wise read/write never works right - neither side can read the encoding of the other :(

Obvious way-out: tick the utf-8 box in stickmount - but that did not change anything.

Cross-check: does it work right for my sdcard (also FAT32) in the device and if written from card-reader externally: YES it does!
So what is the magic that allows a vfat mount of the sdcard in the device work right, while the same device does not mount the usb-stick correctly?

I studied the mounts on the device and noticed that the sdcard is mounted like this:

/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

While the mount of USB Stick is done like this:
/dev/block/sda1 on /mnt/sdcard/usbStorage/sda1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

Checking a changed mount with a test like:
mount -t vfat -o utf8 /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usbStorage

delivers a mount like:
/dev/block/sda1 on /mnt/sdcard/usbStick type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

and finally correct special characters also for cross-wise read/write (as expected).

When searching for the "usual treatment" of the character set problem it seemed that it is advised to change the iocharset parameter, however this only works if the kernel supports it. It seems that mine does not but still the onboard tools permit to get the correct encoding via the "-o utf8" parameter.

Now my kind request is: Could you possibly include this "-o utf8" as another option (or even default) when mounting a FAT partition?

NoSubstitute

Oct 29, 2008
Malmö
What's missing to have working Write access on NTFS?

Is there an easy way to tell of the NTFS and exFAT binaries are being picked up ?

I've copied the ntfs-3g and mount.exfat-fuse files to the root of internal storage on my Nexus 7 but I'm still only getting read-only NTFS support and I'm not sure if that'a because the binaries aren't being picked up by Stickmount or if they just aren't compatible.

Yet another N7 with read-only support. Bricked 0.55 kernel with stock rooted ROM.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Here's another test version, please let me know if this fixes some issues for you.

NTFS read-only
I have adjusted the mount order, that if ntfs-3g is present (which can mount r/w), it has higher priority than kernel based ntfs mount (which is r/o). To those having this problem, your kernel probably supports ntfs mounting and due to this ntfs-3g had been ignored. Let me know if this fixed the problem for you. (you still need ntfs-3g for this to work)

UTF-8
I've made some changes to the mount code and testing order during mount with UTF-8 enabled (which is now enabled by default). It seems to work for me with various German and Chinese characters. Let me know if this fixed the problem for you.

Mount delay
As there might be a timing issue between USB connection, StickMount launch/mount, and kernel device detection, I've added the mount delay option (1000ms by default). This is the amount of time StickMount will wait after being notified of a new device being connected before attempting to find and mount partitions. Let me know if this fixed missing mounts/partitions for you (and if so, which ms value you had to use)

This is a test version that may soon be removed and should be replaced by a Play release. Do not redistribute/post elsewhere.

Please comment in this thread, not on Twitter or whatever.

Last edited:

AlexGraves

Feb 20, 2012
-6.152345, 106.835542
Reverting back to ver. 2.10...
2.11 test version didn't improve anything because I'm not using any special characters in my daily use, but it presented a new (small) problem.
Whenever it mounts or unmounts, it triggers an error message for my SwiftKey3 keyboard. It causes Swiftkey to unable to load its language module.

Sent from my Nex7

shaarky

Dec 1, 2007
OnePlus 9 Pro
StickMount-v2.11-test-1.apk working fine (Czech characters with UT8 showing up correctly, with previous version it wasn't) ! Thanks :)

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
For me things are partly ok now:

• setting a delay has no impact, the toast comes immediately when connecting the stick and it finds nothing. I noticed that the delay entered is happening only when you push "mount" in the panel, but not when auto-started!
  • Mounting is done with utf8, but not by default as written. You have to set the relevant entry in the menu - not sure if the kernel remark is still valid here- Thanks!
Not sure why AlexGraves has a problem with his mounts. Does the USB mounted device later refer to a file located on the mounted device itself? Or is the delayed mount (which is not delayed for me) the problem there? For the former case, just deactivate the UTF8, for the latter set delay to 0.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Another remark for the delay: maybe it is better to start finding partitions immediately but if none found, then to loop in an interval of e.g. 500ms (or shorter for the impatient) for "max amount" (to be specified) to find them after the stick is ready. This delivers fastest response for any stick and does not force you to wait for the slowest :)

Reactions: _jis_

sergialess

Aug 27, 2012
Alcalá de Henares
Not working for me...

Hi,

As the USB-OTG function worked well in my old S2, it never won't on my Galaxy Nexus :(.
I can figure out that the cable is faulty, but the same cable works fine in my other tel.

Whenever I put the pendrive (16GB, Fat32), Stickmount gets crazy with the sequence: "searching... mounts 0... searching... mounts 0", and the led of the pendrive is always flashing.

With Android 4.2.1, the USB-OTG function is suppossedly supported natively. Not at least for me... :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway for your effort.

kar10s

Apr 28, 2010
Hi,

(I think) I found a minor bug (both in v2.10 and v2.11) - when I connect several USB drives using USB HUB, all the usb are connected properly (as sda1, sdb1...), but there is also created one empty directory sda - there probably is a short delay after inserting second USB and before creating the sda directory (on one try I noticed that it was not here at first, but appeared after few seconds) - there also happens some name changing to sdb and back when the USB devices are disconnected and reconnected.

And one more thing (this one I was not able to replicate on neither version, but it happened to me vith v2.11) - somehow (probably because of the "rapid" usb stick switching) the StickMount stopped mounting the USB sticks. When I stopped the APP, deleted its cache and data, it started working again, but then sudenly my tablet rebooted, but I already experienced this kind of behavior (I mean the rebooting) when I disconnect the USB that was being used, so it probably has nothing to do with StickMount (I experienced this on v1.0 (or what was it) on Stock 4.1.2, now I have Stock 4.2.1)

Otherwise, the app is working perfectly. Thank you for your hard work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Automatically mount and dismount USB sticks on various devices like the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. The Nexus 4 is not supported - this is an issue with the device, not with StickMount !

!!! REQUIRES ROOT !!!

Various Nexus and "stock Android" devices do not automatically "mount" mass storage devices (such as USB sticks). StickMount has been made to solve this problem, and give you access to the files on your USB connected storage from all your apps.

StickMount is known to work on many devices, but is built only with Nexus devices in mind.

Once StickMount is installed and you connect a USB stick with a USB host / OTG cable, the device will show you a popup if you want to open StickMount. It is advised to tell the device that you want to do this by default.

If you have just installed StickMount and you already had a USB stick connected, you must manually launch the program, or disconnect/reconnect the USB stick for StickMount to start working.

Mass storage devices are mounted to /sdcard/usbStorage/xxxx/.

(Pro) Kill apps preventing unmount

Sometimes an app has a file in use located on the USB device, and won't let go of it. This can prevent StickMount from unmounting the USB device. It will seem like the device stays connected (this is harmless). StickMount Pro provides an option that attempts to kill (terminate) all the apps that are preventing the unmount from succeeding.

(Pro) Media scan

StickMount Pro supports triggering the media scanner on each (un)mount action. This will automatically make the files on your USB device available in apps like Gallery and Music. Please note that the media scanner is not a visible process on all Android devices - it might actually work silently in the background without any visual cues. It may take a minute for your files to show up, so don't panic if they don't show immediately.

Even if you have this option enabled, you can prevent folders from being scanned by placing an empty file called .nomedia in that folder. If you put it in the root of the USB device, the entire device will not be scanned.

(Pro) Mount as partition label

Instead of using the block device name (sda1, sda2, sdb1, etc) for the partition, use the partition label as mount name. If the label is not available, fall back to the partition uuid (unique id). Only if that is not available either, use the block device name as mount.

This helps to keep your files in the same and easily identifiable place!

(Pro) Create symbolic links

Create symbolic links in /mnt and /storage to the actual mounts in /sdcard/usbStorage/, handy with some file managers and some apps that auto-detect storage locations.

Filesystem support

The filesystems supported depends on your device firmware. On most devices, at least vfat/fat/fat32 and ext2/3/4 are supported. On the latest Android versions, ntfs is also supported in read-only mode. Some devices also support exfat out the box, but most do not.

StickMount can utilize the ntfs-3g and mount.exfat-fuse binaries to add support for ntfs (untested) and exfat, but these are not included. If you place the ntfs-3g or mount.exfat-fuse files in the root of your internal storage ( /sdcard ), StickMount will automatically use them.

You can find the needed files here:
    ntfs-3g
    mount.exfat-fuse

Troubleshooting

For some users, the app appears not to work, while in fact it is the device itself or the cable not working. One OTG cable is not the other OTG cable. If you have a USB stick with a light on it, it should light up when you connect it to the Galaxy Nexus using your OTG cable. If it does not, either your cable or your Nexus is faulty. 99 out of 100 times it is going to be your cable. That the cable works fine with another device does not mean anything! Cables known to work on a one devices may not work on another device.

SD card unmounting: If your SD card unmounts when unmounting a USB device, you have a bug in your kernel. This is not a bug in StickMount !

Download

StickMount

StickMount Pro (add-on, requires the free StickMount app)
    Changelogs

18.01.2017 - v3.50
    - (C) 2017
    - Handle HTTP redirects when downloading additional tools

23.03.2016 - v3.40
    - (C) 2016
    - Improve systemless SuperSU compatibility
    - Add mount cleanup option

09.10.2015 - v3.33
    - Basic M compatibility

13.12.2014 - v3.26
    - Minor su policy adjustment

30.11.2014 - v3.25
    - Fix unmount+kill issue on L

16.11.2014 - v3.23
    - Fix exFAT write issue on L

15.11.2014 - v3.22
    - Fix exFAT mount issue on L

06.11.2014 - v3.20 - RELEASE NOTES
    - Basic L theming
    - Updated SELinux handling, fixes a number of mount/read/write issues on enforcing devices

01.07.2014 - v3.10
    - Android "L" Preview compatibility

23.03.2014 - v3.01
    - Fix possible force close

23.03.2014 - v3.00
    - (Pro) Make mounts available by label or uuid instead of block device name
    - (Pro) Make mounts available through /mnt and /storage
    - White notification icon for KitKat

10.02.2014 - v2.50
    - Fixed a number of (un)mounting issues
    - Fixed one possible cause of /sdcard disappearance
    - Anticipate and work-around '4.5' issues
    - Suggest FS support add-on download

08.02.2014 - v2.40
    - Forced a number of commands to toolbox, prevent busybox confusion
    - Add mount master usage if available, and warning if not

On Android 4.3 and 4.4, using SuperSU v1.93 or newer is advised, as it provides some features that greatly improve reliability of (un)mounting, versus older versions of SuperSU or other Superuser management apps.

02.11.2013 - v2.30
    - Android KitKat 4.4 related fixes

14.12.2012 - v2.20
    - Adjustment to NTFS mounting
    - UTF-8 mount adjustment (now enabled by default for new users)
    - Changed (un)mounting strategy to repetitive scan
    - Rearranged preference order
    - Adjusted partition detection
    - Reworked notification (Jelly Bean +)
    - Toast notification no longer shown if turned off in preferences

02.12.2012 - v2.10
    - More Android Jelly Bean 4.2 related fixes
    - Only works for primary user
    - Twitter/G+ spam now included

20.11.2012 - v2.0
    - Android Jelly Bean 4.2 related fixes
    - Various bug fixes
    - Various text changes
    - exFAT mounting if "mount.exfat-fuse" is present
    - Fixed mounting sdXXYY (as opposed to sdXY) block devices
    - (Pro) Kill processes that are preventing unmounting
    - (Pro) Trigger media scanner on (un)mount

09.07.2012 - v1.5
    - "The Jelly Bean Update"
    - ActionBar restored (by many requests !)
    - Modified permissions
    - Async mounting
    - Force holo theme

11.03.2012 - v1.3
    - Modified NTFS mounting process
    - Various texts adjusted
    - App no longer quits on rotate
    - ActionBar removed (double title)
    - Added codepage and UTF8 options (experts only, will mount with default options on failure)

02.01.2012 - v1.2
    - Modified mounting process
    - Support different partition layouts
    - Support mounting extX partitions
    - Support mounting ntfs partitions (if kernel module present and loaded)

20.12.2011 - v1.1
    - Added option to disable visual notifications of (un)mounting
    - Fixed a number of possible crashes
    Well, I think I fixed it. Will probably update tomorrow. Time for sleep now :)
    v3.33 has been uploaded to the Play Store, and should start rolling out within a few hours.

Should work a lot better on M now :)
    fix =]

Hi,

For those who are having the problem of "USB media removed, insert new media" when taking out thier usb pen drive, the problem is because the OS thinks its the sdcard that is being removed.

To fix this, add

dev_mount usb /mnt/usb auto /devices/platform/omap-ehci.0

to /etc/vold.fstab

if /etc/vold.fstab does not exist, just create it with that one line.

works on my GNEX running codename 1.5.5, let me know how you guys go with this fix.

=]