FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][5.0+] Focus by Firefox

629 posts
Thanks Meter: 641

By lexcyn, Senior Member on 11th May 2017, 03:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I saw this posted and decided to compile it for myself. Maybe some other people would like to try it out as well.
This is taken directly from source with no modifications.

Firefox Focus for Android

Browse like no one’s watching. The new Firefox Focus automatically blocks a wide range of online trackers — from the moment you launch it to the second you leave it. Easily erase your history, passwords and cookies, so you won’t get followed by things like unwanted ads.

For more information please see the following links:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05...shows-promise/
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2016/1...owser-for-ios/

Updated as of: November 21st 2017

Gecko Beta version:
app-focus-gecko-beta

WebView Beta version:
app-focus-webview-beta

Klar (German language) WebView Beta version:
app-klar-webview-beta

XDA:DevDB Information
Focus by Firefox, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
lexcyn
Source Code: https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/focus-android

Version Information

Created 2017-05-11
Last Updated 2017-11-21
The Following 84 Users Say Thank You to lexcyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lexcyn Ad-Free

11th May 2017, 03:21 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sudbury

Donate to Me
More
Reserved

See first post for updated links.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to lexcyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lexcyn Ad-Free
11th May 2017, 04:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 203

Donate to Me
More
Thanks! I'm kind of not in the mood of testing both which is better right now. Can you tell me which version you'd recommend? Which is faster maybe?

edit: nvm, looks like i'm going to get the webview version
11th May 2017, 04:41 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sudbury

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnle71

Thanks! I'm kind of not in the mood of testing both which is better right now. Can you tell me which version you'd recommend? Which is faster maybe?

edit: nvm, looks like i'm going to get the webview version

WebKit version is much faster.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lexcyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lexcyn Ad-Free
11th May 2017, 05:42 PM |#5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 534

More
Thank you very much. It still lacks a few things but overall, it's an interesting experience to play with.
11th May 2017, 06:32 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sudbury

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the

Thank you very much. It still lacks a few things but overall, it's an interesting experience to play with.

Yeah it seems like it's still in early days. If you look at the git log they are going to be adding Sync soon, and possibly tabbed browsing. I love the look and feel of it though!
11th May 2017, 07:20 PM |#7  
Flag London

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexcyn

Yeah it seems like it's still in early days. If you look at the git log they are going to be adding Sync soon, and possibly tabbed browsing. I love the look and feel of it though!

Two actions that I tried to do was open something in a background tab and also share a picture. Couldn't do either. I'm hoping that this can be successful as a more lightweight and privacy centric version of the main browser.
11th May 2017, 07:30 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sudbury

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Two actions that I tried to do was open something in a background tab and also share a picture. Couldn't do either. I'm hoping that this can be successful as a more lightweight and privacy centric version of the main browser.

Yeah the options are very limited. You can share a page via the menu and open in another browser... but that's pretty much it right now. I do have to stay it's *very* fast in benchmarks with Webkit though, which is promising.
12th May 2017, 03:29 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sudbury

Donate to Me
More
Updated the WebKit version.

Some of the changes include showing the number of blocked objects on the current page, as well the trashcan icon in the taskbar is now the Focus icon (Firefox logo).

Seems like they are changing things often. I've put a request for them to add some sort of versioning in their commits so we know if anything has changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to lexcyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lexcyn Ad-Free
12th May 2017, 09:08 AM |#10  
Flag London

More
Didn't the Gecko version get any love?
The Following User Says Thank You to sabret00the For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sabret00the Ad-Free
12th May 2017, 02:55 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sudbury

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Didn't the Gecko version get any love?

I can update the gecko version if you want it's just not as fast as the WebKit version.

[Edit]: I've updated all versions, including a new "beta" APK with some of the debug code removed. Note that there is only a "beta" release for the WebKit version at this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to lexcyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lexcyn Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
browser, firefox, focus

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)