I'd like to present you Adguard for Android. It is a tool designed to make web surfing of Android users more comfortable and safe.
Adguard is an adblocker, privacy protection tool, and protector against online threats. It also has its own Firewall to control the incoming/outgoing traffic.
What's important: no ROOT required.
If you have any ideas on how to improve Adguard or you would like to submit a bug, please do so at our profile on GitHub! If you have any questions about Adguard or related matters and would like to get live responses, welcome to our public Telegram channel!
Important note: we use Github as an open bug and release tracker, but the app itself is a closed source.
- Adguard provides the best filtering quality on Android. I mean really, there has been no app with such high quality before.
- App is really easy-to-use: one button to start protection.
- Malware and phishing protection. We use the same Browsing Security database as for desktop version of Adguard.
- Privacy protection: spyware filter is on duty.
- Firewall can manage apps access to the Internet, which of them can go online is up to you.
- App traffic monitoring system shows how many resources each app consumes at the moment.
- The app speeds up the load of web pages and saves bandwidth. The pages are ad-free and opened faster.
- Adguard can block ads in apps and games.
Instruction on how to install Adguard can be found on our official website.
Adguard on Amazon Appstore.
Available in XDA Labs app.
Adguard checks for updates once in 24 hours. If there is a new version available, you will get a notification.
If you tap on "Update" we will download and upgrade your version of Adguard.
You can't get Adguard from Google Play because Google wants to know everything about you and also it does not want users to decide if they want to see its ads or not.
Stable version 2.10.176, 30 Nov. 2017
Beta version 2.11.31 Beta, 3 Mar. 2018
Link to the Stable version apk
Link to the Beta version apk
Click here to learn info about our beta testing program. We are always looking for beta testers and will be glad if you guys join us
Or you can get any version from the Downloads section here.
Q: How does Adguard protection work?
A: Adguard filters your browsers traffic by blocking requests to phishing and malicious websites and removing intrusive browser advertising. Adguard can use two modes of traffic filtering:
1. Local VPN mode - If you are using this mode, Adguard does not need ROOT privileges to carry out filtering. At the same time, VPN-server is located on your device, so that there is no need to pass your traffic through a remote server in order to filter it.
2. Local HTTP proxy mode - In this mode Adguard launch a local HTTP proxy server on your device. This mode is recommended if you use a rooted device. Otherwise, manual adjustment of an HTTP proxy will be needed to use this mode, the filtering in mobile networks (Edge/3G/4G) will also be impossible.
Q: Do I need the ROOT access?
A: Unlike most of applications that are engaged in the traffic filtering, Adguard does not require ROOT access to your device. In local VPN server mode Adguard will filter all your traffic and so the ROOT access is not needed at all.
Q: How to use a third-party VPN along with Adguard?
A: If you are already using a VPN for other purposes, then in order for Adguard filtering to work, you can turn it to a HTTP proxy server mode. The filtering mode can be changed in the Advanced Settings. In this mode, there are two ways to set up a proxy: automatic and manual.
Automatic mode - In automatic mode, enabling of filtering does not require any action from you. Filtering will work in both mobile and Wi-Fi networks. The problem is that the automatic mode can be operated only on rooted devices.
Manual mode - This approach may not work in some situations. It depends on your firmware and the actual VPN app. For some cases traffic bypasses manually configured proxy. In manual mode filtering will only work in Wi-Fi networks. And you have to manually configure the use of proxy server for each Wi-Fi network.
Q: How to manually configure local HTTP proxy?
A: If your device does not support automatic proxy configuration, then you can configure proxy server manually, using the instructions below:
1. In the Adguard Settings select Local HTTP Proxy mode and Proxy setup mode — Manual.
2. Go to your phone settings and choose Wi-Fi. A list of wireless networks will be opened.
3. If the device is not yet connected, connect to the Wi-Fi networks than you need. Open network setting by pressing the line with this network. The following menu of the selected Wi-Fi network will appear.
4. Select Modify network. In the new window select Show advanced options.
5. In Proxy select Manual.
6. Enter 127.0.0.1 in Proxy hostname and enter the port that is showed in proxy settings in Adguard application itself (port 8080 is used in Adguard setting by default).
7. Proxy server is set up. Now all Wi-Fi traffic will be filtered by Adguard.
Q: How does DNS-filtering work?
Blocking is implemented by sending back a specially crafted response that redirects all traffic to local network interface (with 127.0.0.1 IP address). Then browser or app intended to connect to such domain will try to connect to a server on this particular device, and eventually get an error.
Detailed answer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=63751226&postcount=375
Q: This seems like a best way to filter ads, why use something else?
A: Because there are many advertising systems that use the same domains for advertising and some useful service. The DNS-filtering can be used just to speed up overall filtering process and to save some battery juice.
Q: Why can't I use DNS-filtering with Local HTTP proxy mode?
A: Because we need to filter all traffic (all network packets) sent from your device for DNS-filtering. Only VPN mode can accomplish such a thing.
Q: Why does Android stats show that Adguard consumed more traffic than it saved?
Q: Why does Adguard consume so much battery juice?
Q: What restrictions does VPN mode have?
A: Adguard filters traffic using local VPN-server by default. In this mode there are some restrictions. In local VPN mode Adguard won't be run automatically after turning on the phone, because this capability is blocked by Android OS.
[APP][4.0.3+][2.11.31 - 03/05/2018] AdGuard - No Root Ad Blocker, App for the Apps & Games
Daria, Adguard Team, avatar_adg, BabylonDreams, Revertron
Current Stable Version: 2.10.176
Stable Release Date: 2017-11-30
Current Beta Version: 2.11.31
Beta Release Date: 2018-03-05
Last Updated 2018-03-05