Aberto Sonorus is an Android application/Alexa skill combination that allows you to perform basic launch and media control commands on your Android device through voice, no additional hardware required.
Once set up, you can use your voice to launch/close Android applications, set the device volume, or trigger play/pause/next/previous/stop commands on any application that listens for media button commands.
It can be used in combination with Alexa smart home routines. In my case, I use the command “Alexa, watch Netflix” to turn on the TV and receiver, lower the lights, turn on my NVIDIA Shield TV and launch the Netflix application on the device. I have similar commands for Amazon Video, Pandora, Plex, and others.
- Designate any launchable Android application as a target (not just media playback)
- Set up through the companion Android application
- Supports mobile and Android TV
- Designate the device (e.g. “Shield”) as an additional target
- Wake up the device and/or launch the application
- “Alexa, turn on Shield”
- “Alexa, turn on Netflix”
- Set the volume on the device
- “Alexa, volume up on Shield”
- “Alexa, set the volume to 5 on Shield”
- Play/pause/stop media playback
- “Alexa, play on Shield”
- “Alexa, pause on Shield”
- “Alexa, stop on Shield”
- Advance to the next/previous playback item
- “Alexa, next on Shield”
- “Alexa, previous on Shield”
- Enable the Alexa skill and account link with your Amazon account: https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#skills/dp/B078W199Z3
- Install the Android application on your target device(s): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.willblaschko.android.abertosonorus
- Launch the application and log in with the same Amazon account
- Assign a name for the device (e.g. “Shield”)
- Select which applications you want to be targetable (click on the pre-filled or the plus symbol to add more)
- Tell Alexa to find new devices (“Alexa, find new devices”)
- Alexa should have discovered new devices, test by saying: “Alexa, turn on <Application Name>”
As stated above, the power for this comes by combining it with smart home routines or other automation.
If you don’t have a device with Alexa, you can use my application (or others like it) instead.
Current version: beta 0.1 - initial testing requested from the community
This is an independent project and is not associated with either Amazon or Google.
Aberto Sonorus, App for the nVidia Shield Android TV
Last Updated 2018-04-29