6 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By RJTRJT, Junior Member on 25th May 2015, 05:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
App Search Plus

Post Summary:
  • Fast, clean and lightweight
  • Search for and launch any app you have installed by name
  • Long press for the application info page - uninstall apps quickly without going through Apps settings page
Installation:Screenshots:
(see below in Attached Thumbnails)

About:
I've been on XDA since 2008, but I've been more of a consumer than a producer. Rooted my android device, turned it inside out. I have XDA to thank for that. I think it's time to give back.

And so, yes. This is my first post here on XDA, but certainly not my first experience into programming or posting on forums.

At the last count, I had 304 apps installed, and only 7 homescreens. All 7 are full, and not every single app was important enough to earn its place there.

But the apps I do have, I have for a reason. I have so many 'occasional-use' apps lying around that are useful enough for me to keep, but not used often enough for me to pin them to the homescreen.

iOS has a brilliant solution - its Spotlight search let's you find any app you have. But on Android? So many times I couldn't find an app when I really needed it because it was lost in the launcher, in its many pages.

You may or may not need this, simply because your manufacturer could have included a search feature in their customized Android implementation on your device. You may already have the ability to search for your apps.

But one thing I hated - was some features being in some devices, but not in others. Samsung's Multi-Window feature, for instance. You'd have one camp, happy with all the additional features that they have, while others, running equally capable hardware, running an almost equivalent operating system, are denied these useful features. I understood Samsung's need to have a competitive advantage, but that didn't mean I liked it. At the time I really wanted someone to just code an app that gave the functionality to everyone else. Today, there's the Xposed framework. There are multi-window-enabling mods out there that bring that goodness to you and everyone else outside that inner circle. And I think that's great. This is what open Android is.

I know stock Android doesn't have search built in. Some devices like the Sony Xperia series do. Whatever the reason - perhaps you think the inbuilt search is buried behind too many clicks, or isn't intuitive enough - should you want to try out the app, it's available here on the Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rjt.appsearch

If searching for it on-device, you have to put "App Search Plus" in quotation marks. Otherwise, it's #100+ in the search results, even with a search for the exact name. One thing I learnt was that Google provides zero traffic and visibility for new apps.

When I designed this I held fast to the idea that your apps are your eventual destination, and this app's design reflects that. Finding your apps is but the means to an end - and so you'll see that the app doesn't take over your screen, presenting you with options that you'll never take. I aimed to design an app that was seamless; one that didn't interrupt you. I hope you like what you see.

Do post comments and if you have any feature requests, please send them in. Please do note that I'm not looking to overburden this app with features though! It has one function - and it's my hope that it excels in it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 5_1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	3330370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 5_2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	3330371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 5_3.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	3330372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablet_1.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	3330373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-09-21-48-22.png
Views:	358
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	3330421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-05-09-21-51-06.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	3330422  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RJTRJT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RJTRJT Ad-Free
25th May 2015, 07:22 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Typing in the google search box on the homescreen on my Nexus 5 returns app results but thats not very intuitive at all. I like how your app starts with "A" so it will be right there when I inevitably go to the list of apps to tediously search for one.
26th May 2015, 12:18 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Yes, Google Search seems to want to show you its web results first and order your apps last, every time.
26th May 2015, 05:50 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Amazing work. Been looking for an app like this for a very long time!

Few things to consider:
- when pulling up (google search gesture) there's no icon, would be nice to put a search icon in there
- ability to exclude certain apps from the search

Thanks again!
30th May 2015, 05:17 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
@Cow07

I had initially left out the icon because Android 4.4 (on my phone) had a default icon that had a working focus state. (it seems that custom icons don't get the hover-over highlight that Google Now gets.)

It appears that on Android 5.0 Google has done away with the default icon and now the icon is simply blank. I'll push out an update for the icon soon! Thanks for the feedback.

As for excluding apps, I think that's a good idea. Will implement that soon.
11th February 2016, 09:10 PM |#6  

More
Love the app! Would appreciate the ability to auto-launch an app if its the only result of the search!
26th October 2016, 10:02 AM |#7  

More
Launch using home button long-press?
Upgraded to Android M on EUI 5.8.917S and lost the ability to launch App Search + by long pressing the home button. My device is Le 1s. Any solutions?
17th January 2017, 12:38 PM |#8  

More
Very useful
It's a very useful app, I have a Xiaomi device and organizing/searching for apps was always a huge pain point as MIUI doesn't have an app drawer. The Google app searches for apps though, but it's slow and puts them in the bottom of the list.
I would love a widget, because the open by "long-press on home, then swipe up" doesn't work on MIUI. Or do you have any tricks to solve the swipe action on MIUI?

Anyway, I put together a few screens in Sketch, so that I can show you how the widget should work in my opinion. See the screens here:
1drv.ms/f/s!AgkN6PRx0XOyk9RFzVf6fPRhoVOusw

Thank you for your work on this. Keep it up!

Best,
Zsolt

P.s.: if you ever need some help in design, just let me know, I'd love to participate in projects like this
7th September 2017, 03:02 PM |#9  

More
I can't find any better place to file a bug report, so I hope you're still watching this thread. Anyway, this app had been working fine on my Pixel for all versions of Nougat. I just updated to Oreo, and the app now crashes whenever the search results would contain an app for a Google service (e.g. Play Store, Gmail, YouTube, Drive, etc.). It's not restricted to built-in apps; I downloaded Google Keep, which is not included with the Pixel, and experienced the same problem when searching for it. All other searches still work fine.

Thank you, and I hope you can find a solution.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)