FORUMS

[APP][4.1+] AppChat - A chat room for every app on your phone (Alpha)

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 121

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone, this is a bit of a crazy idea we hacked together over the past few days. It automatically puts you in a chat room for every app you have installed on your phone so you can talk in real time with everyone else who has the same app. We're releasing it as a an early alpha to get feedback, i.e. is this totally dumb or kind of fun?

UPDATE 5: We're now in *BETA* as of version 1.3. Just added user profiles, wallpapers, auto translation of messages to your language, and a lot more. Hope you like it!

UPDATE: Also in the play store now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rvalabs.myapps
UPDATE2: Just uploaded a new build to the play store with the following new stuff:
* Clickable links in messages
* Like button with like count!
* Fixed a bunch of screenshot sharing bugs
* More messages visible per chat
* Spam filtering and banning based on flagging messages
* Crash fixes

UPDATE3: Another quick update just posted to the store: v1.02. It lets you delete your own messages, a big user request after a few mistaken screenshot posts. We're also working on a lot of behind the scenes Troll Control(tm) and other improvements to the app.

UPDATE4: Just posted v1.2 which includes device chats (I'm in "Nexus 6 chat" for example) and "watching" rooms to let you be notified of every new message in a room.

Still working on stuff, but thought we should get that out there immediately. Hopefully even if you installed the APK directly you'll get the update.

Here’s some more features:
  • We automatically detect which app a screenshot is for and offer to upload it to that chat.
  • Swipe in from the bottom right of your screen when in any app and you can jump straight to the chat for that app.
  • All the usual chat stuff: you can like messages, mention users, etc.

Hope you like it, let me know if you have suggestions or feature requests!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-30-15-17-54.jpg
Views:	142580
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	3290195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-30-12-23-47.jpg
Views:	144434
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	3290196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-30-14-33-41.jpg
Views:	142688
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	3290197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-24-12-23-01.jpg
Views:	142552
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	3290202  
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to megamattron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift megamattron Ad-Free
30th April 2015, 08:51 PM |#2  
Flag Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 384

More
Great APP!
Good for now

Will report if something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cr33D OrB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cr33D OrB Ad-Free
30th April 2015, 09:14 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Great idea I like your app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyWinner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CrazyWinner Ad-Free
1st May 2015, 03:26 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Thanks for the positive feedback so far everyone, it's been fun hanging out in calculator chat, haha.

I've seen a couple bugs that we're working on, but nothing too bad. Probably see how it goes tomorrow and do an update if needed. Thanks again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to megamattron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift megamattron Ad-Free
1st May 2015, 08:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Omg...who came up with this great idea...this needs to be featured on xda...hope it doesn't die
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to starboyreid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift starboyreid Ad-Free
1st May 2015, 03:19 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Awesome, glad you're liking it! It's definitely an experiment right now, but obviously the more people who use it the better it gets. I could see it being used for asking for help with an app or game (how do I get past this level?), trading high scores, talking about new versions of an app, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megamattron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift megamattron Ad-Free
1st May 2015, 03:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
The apk link has the wrong mime-type set server side. At least in Firefox this causes it to open as a text document.

Great idea and I definitely will give this a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to parkerlreed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parkerlreed Ad-Free
1st May 2015, 04:06 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thumbs up
This is genius.

You should add a search function, to quickly find apps you want to chat about. Also maybe a sort option, like sorting by most recent messages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bs0l For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bs0l Ad-Free
1st May 2015, 04:40 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
screenshot
Hi, loved the app, but the screenshot thing isn't working.

Also, the idea of a search bar is really good.
1st May 2015, 04:56 PM |#11  
Flag Soest
Thanks Meter: 48

More
It would be perfect if the chat window would actually open in the bottom right on top of the app. I'd be more tempted to actually use it that way, especially on tablets where we can continue using an app while the chat is open.

Perhaps something like Facebook's chat heads would work here really well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quipeace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Quipeace Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)