FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][5.0+] Blokada ad blocker [open source][without root][v4]

185 posts
Thanks Meter: 627

Post Reply Email Thread
New: Blokada v4 is out! This is a major update!
See Changelog

Join us on chat: Blokada Chat
More info on the Blokada Blog

Download

Download Blokada for Android 5+
(you will also find a link for Android 4 version there)

----

Hi @ XDA!

I'm the developer of Blokada, a simple to use ad blocker for Android that works for all apps and doesn't require root. The idea is to make the app very simple to use, almost unnoticeable in daily operation, yet perfectly functional. I'm asking the awesome xda community to take a look, give feedback, and have fun!

You can find all the important links at blokada.org

The app is uploaded to XDA Labs!

Your feedback is appreciated! Hope you'll find it useful !

If you have a moment please like / follow / share / +1 the social media of your choosing:

The Following 240 Users Say Thank You to kar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kar Ad-Free

19th November 2016, 08:18 PM |#2  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 29

More
I take it this is another local VPN blocking solution? What licence is it released under? I wouldn't trust any VPN that all my data is passing through unless it's open source, so I would highly recommend moving in that direction. Would you say the primary advantage over NetGuard is ease of use? I personally need much finer-grain control of per-app host blocking, but I can see how this could be very useful to others.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hackel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hackel Ad-Free
19th November 2016, 11:26 PM |#3  
Flag Pekalongan
Thanks Meter: 80

More
So simple! And it supports Android 4+ which is nice because DNS66 supports only Android 5+.

Some Questions :
Where is the location of the hosts file(s)? Can I modify the hosts file(s)?

Suggestion:
What I want is ability to block image (do not download image to reduce data usage). Because it is unwanted content for me and this way can reduce data usage too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salmanfarisy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift salmanfarisy Ad-Free
20th November 2016, 02:53 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I've tried it and I love it, but my one request is a QS tile for Android 7+ for easily toggling the VPN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightBeDylan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MightBeDylan Ad-Free
20th November 2016, 09:15 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the feedback so far guys and keep it coming. I really appreciate it!

Quote:

I take it this is another local VPN blocking solution? What licence is it released under?

Correct. It's not open sourced as of yet, but it's in my plans. If Blokada is received well, I'd like to build up a community around it, with plugins etc.

Quote:

Would you say the primary advantage over NetGuard is ease of use? I personally need much finer-grain control of per-app host blocking, but I can see how this could be very useful to others.

Well NetGuard is quite a different beast, it's a firewall with per-app blocking. Blokada is an ad blocker. Tech behind both is similar, but since there's quite a choice already of adblockers on Android, I want to focus Blokada on extreme ease of use (unless the community would want otherwise). That said, some configuration options, like the choice of filters, will come.

Quote:

Where is the location of the hosts file(s)? Can I modify the hosts file(s)?

Currently hosts are fetched online (and cached) and are not modifiable. Some flexibility here is the #1 feature to come so stay tuned

Quote:

What I want is ability to block image (do not download image to reduce data usage). Because it is unwanted content for me and this way can reduce data usage too.

Nice idea! I have added it to the feedback list.

Please post new ideas please post here bit .ly/blokada_ideas

Quote:

I've tried it and I love it, but my one request is a QS tile for Android 7+ for easily toggling the VPN

Thanks! Added to the list.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kar Ad-Free
21st November 2016, 07:55 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I really like that it shows you what's being blocked in real time via notifications. Would there be a way to export a log in the future?
The Following User Says Thank You to x-fer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift x-fer Ad-Free
21st November 2016, 07:48 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-fer

I really like that it shows you what's being blocked in real time via notifications. Would there be a way to export a log in the future?

Added to ideas. Thanks!

Yeah the notification definitely helps you realise how much tracking is going on
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kar Ad-Free
22nd November 2016, 12:06 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blokada

Added to ideas. Thanks!

Yeah the notification definitely helps you realise how much tracking is going on

What amazed me is the amount of ads that ping even on apps I've paid for the ad-free versions within the app. Just from a day of use I had over 2000 blocks. The weather channel app has been the worst offender so far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x-fer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift x-fer Ad-Free
22nd November 2016, 12:49 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
First of all, thanks for your great app!
Most of ads removed for mine, still some (may be local) ads remained. I am using this in Japan.
I understand your concept, ease of use first . if only some customization would be... (ex, extra choice of country ? something)
anyway thanks again, keep going!
The Following User Says Thank You to moviti For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift moviti Ad-Free
22nd November 2016, 05:07 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviti

First of all, thanks for your great app!
Most of ads removed for mine, still some (may be local) ads remained. I am using this in Japan.
I understand your concept, ease of use first . if only some customization would be... (ex, extra choice of country ? something)
anyway thanks again, keep going!

You're right. The next release will include filter configuration options, so it'll be possible to use local lists or even custom filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-fer

What amazed me is the amount of ads that ping even on apps I've paid for the ad-free versions within the app. Just from a day of use I had over 2000 blocks. The weather channel app has been the worst offender so far.

Haha, from my experience free games are also pretty terrible in this regard!

Guys, thanks a lot for a very motivating feedback so far! Filter configuration and customization features are coming in the next release.

If you have a moment please like / follow / share / +1 the social media of your choosing:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kar Ad-Free
23rd November 2016, 12:03 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 212

More
Can you add a whitelist? I don't want displayed ads (such as through Google app) to not work when I click them.
The Following User Says Thank You to benwalburn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benwalburn Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adblocker, ads

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)