FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] [4.1+] Bromite - Chromium plus adblocking [18 February 2018 - 64.0.3282.168]

146 posts
Thanks Meter: 483

Post Reply Email Thread
I have started an open source project to support Chromium + custom patches for adblocking:

https://www.bromite.org/

Download & availability
Bromite is available for download from the Bromite Official website, which points to the Github Releases for all the downloads. It is also available from XDA Labs, but only for ARM and SDK21+ (Lollipop+). We have to wait for XDA Labs to add support for multiple SDK/archs.

What is Bromite?
Bromite is Chromium plus ad blocking and privacy enhancements; it started as a port of NoChromo and nowadays adds more privacy-focused patches and is maintained against the latest stable Chromium.

Development & donations
Please join the development on Github for improvements; make sure you download the ARM64 version if you have a modern device.
Donations are welcome and help supporting development and build server costs!

Resources
In the news
The Following 72 Users Say Thank You to csagan5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csagan5 Ad-Free

11th October 2017, 09:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
143MB?
The Following User Says Thank You to aviranx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aviranx Ad-Free
11th October 2017, 10:25 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviranx

143MB?

Are you referring to the ARM64 MonochromePublic build? It is described here: https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...me-APK-Targets

Edit: these are the same size Google Play store would return you, as described there
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to csagan5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csagan5 Ad-Free
14th October 2017, 10:08 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato2015

i installed your browser.. notice a red blink on sides.. using s8 plus... ty

@pato2015 let me reply here to stay on topic: yes, I also noticed this problem yesterday...it's due to a build setting in Chromium. I am rebuilding it with the fixed flag and will take some hours now to complete.

Tomorrow I'll post again when it's ready.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to csagan5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csagan5 Ad-Free
15th October 2017, 09:13 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin

Donate to Me
More
@Sangean replying here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangean

Hi,

It would be good if you could compile the official version which is v61 at the moment just like 'ponchofiesta' did with Chromium instead of this dev version.

This version you did is development version with many bugs.

I assumed that all tagged versions are stable releases; can you point me to the official explanation about this? Like, how do I know which tags are stable or not.

Quote:

For example the audio stream does not play on this site:
http://www.maiige.hu/maiige

This might be due to missing codecs; I suggest checking again after I release a more recent tag, then reporting a bug on Bromite's github issue tracker otherwise.

Quote:

Plus there is sometimes a red border for the whole phone... I remember ponchofiesta used to have the same issue, but somehow he fixed it.

This is also fixed, but build is still in progress and it takes time. Probably in one or two days will be published.

Quote:

Your current version is 63.0.3236.0, meanwhile I tried dev version 63.0.3236.6 which plays audio stream correctly on the site above, but I guess things can break here and there with dev version, thats why official version would be a better solution.

Thanks for your efforts!

See question above.
The Following User Says Thank You to csagan5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csagan5 Ad-Free
15th October 2017, 10:47 PM |#6  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 22

More
video codecs also missing. Cannot play videos. I always get a message that I should install flash or h.264.
15th October 2017, 11:13 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jho55

video codecs also missing. Cannot play videos. I always get a message that I should install flash or h.264.

Can you open an issue on github? I need to know android version, architecture (ARM or ARM64) and the sample video that fails.

I also suspect that some codecs are missing; I have found some information about how to enable them and will try; if anybody else has more information about how to enable all codecs on Android, please post here or on the GH issue

Edit: I am now building with codecs, it's going to take a long while..so keep tuned and I will post when builds are done. This means I restarted the build for the red blink too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to csagan5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csagan5 Ad-Free
17th October 2017, 06:08 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Great view Chrome+Ad blocking is back for Android
But please make builds for x86.
I have Android 4.4.4 tablet with x86.
18th October 2017, 09:37 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-sanchez

Great view Chrome+Ad blocking is back for Android
But please make builds for x86.
I have Android 4.4.4 tablet with x86.

coming up soon meanwhile, no donations received so far!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csagan5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csagan5 Ad-Free
18th October 2017, 09:37 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jho55

This is fixed in latest release 63.0.3239.6

Cc @Sangean
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to csagan5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csagan5 Ad-Free
18th October 2017, 09:42 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin

Donate to Me
More
63.0.3239.6 is released; see CHANGELOG here.

OP is also updated.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)