[App] [7.+] FOSS Browser [Open Source]

Search This thread

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Just tried your browser after trying a few. Wanted one with less bloat and good night mode. Great work, good find. Not bloated, adblock, and active development. Best, its open source. Anyway, just a couple of bugs. Night mode, that is inverted mode, doesn't stick once you leave and go to another site. Also, it will be awesome if the images don't get inverted in night mode. Keep up the good work. I am using samsung tab s3, stock rom on nougat.
Night mode is fixed in the next release and will be an inverted-black-white-mode. It is only possible to invert the whole webview or nothing.:)

Nice browser. Could do with an incognito mode. Might be there but I can't find it.
Is not there and will not be implemented in near future (perhaps later). You can use the fast toggle dialog instead.:(

Great browser. I'm having trouble with it remembering my login info even though I've saved it. I access this site many times per day so it really would be helpful. Any ideas?
Saving login data is not implemented in webview anymore. So I can't do anything. You must use the notification to copy login data to the clipboard.:(

Just tried this browser and I already LOVE IT. Probably the best minimalistic browser with no stupid features and UI clutter. My only issue is when scrolling up to reveal the address bar and status bar it flashes white bar. It really takes the attention away from the browser and sometime it's just a little annoying.

Take a look at the gif attached below. Although it's not that seeable on gif.
I know that. But at the moment I don't have the time to look in out deeper. Fullscreen is not easy to implement. I'm just lucky that I found a way, since I like fullscreen browsing really.;)

Also, when clicking download folder icon beneath tabs it force closes app. Nougat.
Can you post a screenshot, where you click to crash the app? So that I can reproduce the issue? Are you on the latest version?:confused:

Greetings
Gaukler Faun

ratbags

Jan 19, 2015
Can you post a screenshot, where you click to crash the app? So that I can reproduce the issue? Are you on the latest version?:confused:

Greetings
Gaukler Faun

When you swipe up in the url field to reveal the tabs, the second icon from the left [looks like downloads folder?]. I'm on 5.1, running nougat.

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

vewa52

Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the update. 1. Is it possible for you to make bookmarks open in the same tab instead of a new one everytime? 2. Also, enable swipe gestures for back and forward navigation of web pages. This will be really cool addition to the browser. 3. A quick bookmark save button?

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com

Greetings
Gaukler Faun

When you swipe up in the url field to reveal the tabs, the second icon from the left [looks like downloads folder?]. I'm on 5.1, running nougat.
Ah, I understand. This issue is fixed in version 5.1.

At the moment I must sort out some build errors for F-Droid. But I will upload an akp-file today here on the forum, when I don't forget.

Reactions: Ultramanoid

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Thanks for the update. 1. Is it possible for you to make bookmarks open in the same tab instead of a new one everytime? 2. Also, enable swipe gestures for back and forward navigation of web pages. This will be really cool addition to the browser. 3. A quick bookmark save button?
1. I think that should be possible.
2. Swipe gestures are already implemented in the navigation-button in fullscreen mode.
3. I don't want to many buttons. So at the moment no. But I plan to implement the menu in other way in the future. But at the moment I don't really have a concept or the time to do that.

Fireworkerfp

Dec 14, 2011
Hallo Gaukler,
thank you for your development!
Will you upload the 5.1 version on F-Droid/playstore too?
Because on F-Droid i can only download version 4.4 .

romskii

Mar 9, 2009
Viersen
Greetings from Germany!
Just tried this browser. I was scared by the green colour, but found the options ;) I must say, this browser is really good, I'm case the next big thing for me after using Browser NB Pro. I jumped for a while to Samsung Internet Beta and yes the Sammy browser is a bit faster loading the sites but it's okay.

You've done a really amazing job. I've deleted now all other browsers to concentrate on this one!

vewa52

Apr 2, 2011
1. I think that should be possible.
2. Swipe gestures are already implemented in the navigation-button in fullscreen mode.
3. I don't want to many buttons. So at the moment no. But I plan to implement the menu in other way in the future. But at the moment I don't really have a concept or the time to do that.

Got it. But the nav button is stuck in the corner and only back swipe gesture is possible. Same for top/bottom gesture. Am i missing something or is there a way to move the button around?

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
update v5.1.1.

This should fix the F-Droid build error. Included are all changes and bugfixes until now:

Changelog

### v 5.2 (WIP)
- new: Indonesian translation (thanks: Secangkir Kopi)
- improved: Chinese translation (thanks: lishoujun)

### v 5.1
- new: Chinese translation (thanks: lishoujun)
- new: close current tab in menu
- new: share text to browser
- improved: hide/show toolbar
- fix: night mode (now in UI settings)
- fix: force close when clicking direct download link
- fix: screenshot, when started via holder service
- fix: some strings
- fix: possible force close on Android > Nougat

Download
- in second post
- hopefully in F-Droid and PLaystore (in a few days)

Todo
- make baidu as the default search engine for chinase
- possibility to not save history (also with quick toggle)
- improve fullscreen mode
- ... what you tell me, and I'm able and willingly to todo

Feel free to comment. Also feel free to open issues, ask for features or pull requests on Github. If you make this on Github I have a better overview ...

G

GuestD0890

Not opened file manager to upload files

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180127-202516.png
    Screenshot_20180127-202516.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 96
G

GuestD0890

I think you have granted permissions. Have you installed version 5+? Probably you have to enable JavaScript and/or cookies?

I tested on a website to upload a file and it worked. On which site toy have the problem?
The browser version 5.1.1, the Lineage OS 14.1 system. Cookies, Java and data access are included. This occurs when the file selection button is pressed.

romskii

Mar 9, 2009
Viersen
I can't open downloaded files from the browser notification. Also I have FCs sometimes after quitting the browser.

Can you please make it possible, opening the browser directly with the selected theme?
Currently it opens with the green status and switches after some seconds to my selected theme.

Wishes:
- gestures
- quick links instead of the blank start page

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
The browser version 5.1.1, the Lineage OS 14.1 system. Cookies, Java and data access are included. This occurs when the file selection button is pressed.
As said, I tested it on two websites and uploading files works for me. Can you give me the link for the website where it doesn't work?

I can't open downloaded files from the browser notification. Also I have FCs sometimes after quitting the browser.

Can you please make it possible, opening the browser directly with the selected theme?
Currently it opens with the green status and switches after some seconds to my selected theme.

Wishes:
- gestures
- quick links instead of the blank start page
Theme:
As far as I know that isn't possible. The main theme is declared in the manifest and will be applied, when the app starts. So there is always a short delay to apply the user selected theme. I even tried it with several libraries, but had no chance.

Gestures:
Are already implemented in the "navigation button":
swipe up to scroll to top, swipe down to scroll to the bottom of a website. Swipe left/right to navigate back/forward.

Quick links:
Also implemented. You can save every website at the start page via the menu.

Regards
Gaukler Faun

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    featuresGrafic.png

"FOSS Browser" is a fully free (as in freedom) open source Android software. The intention is to provide a simple and lightweight, but powerful and privacy-friendly browser with a modern user interface. - Your privacy - your data.

Wiki | Releases | Changelog | Privacy | License | Code of conduct | Contributing | XDA | Help translating on Crowdin

Get it on F-Droid | Donate

UI/Handling

FOSS Browser uses the latest [Material You](https://m3.material.io/) design libraries. Following system day/night mode and a wallpaper based theme are just two features of this new library. The UI is optimized for one-hand-use. All UI-elements are at the bottom of the screen.

More features:
    • Play audio on background.
    • Keep screen on.
    • Open links in background.
    • Restore tabs on restart.

Privacy

FOSS Browser uses profiles to protect your privacy. For each profile you can enable or disable: AdBlock, JavaScript, cookies, fingerprint protection and much more. Profiles can also be saved for domains ("github.com" ⇒ Trusted website). This saved domains always overwrite the current profile. So, for example, "github.com" will always open with the trusted profile, even if you are browsing in the protected mode.

More privacy features:
    • Build in AdBlock, which updates automatically. You can decide which content to block. AdBlock hosts are taken from Steven Black - AbBlock hosts.
    • Third-part-cookies can not be enabled.
    • Enable or disable Android-autofill.
    • Delete browser data (on app exit).
    • Choose between different search engines (or set a custom one).
    • FOSS Browser itself doesn't collect any data: Privacy

Bookmarks filter

Organize your bookmarks with filters. You can set custom names for each filter. Long press the bookmark icon in the toolbar to get fast access to your favorite bookmarks.

Gestures

You can assign over ten different gestures to the toolbar and the toolbar buttons. Each in four directions. So you have up to eight different gestures to control FOSS Browser. Supported is for example: load last website, switch tab, reload, open bookmarks, ... and many more.

Backups

Backup all your important data (bookmarks, history, trusted websites and so on) on your SD-card. You can also back up FOSS Browser settings.
    Downloads
    • Github-Releases: Here you can find latest app-releases. These are debug versions.
    • Github-latest: Here you can download the debug version with the latest changes. It is like an alpha version for the next update ...
    • F-Droid
    Dear FOSS Browser community,

I'm aware that with the last update I'm annoying a lot of users. Some lost their bookmarks, some are missing features, they are used to. Indeed I was afraid to release that update. It's not easy to make this step as developer. I'm only a small independent developer with a small community. I believe in free software. Free software would be nothing with the community. So let me explain, why I did this step.

Main inspiration for " FOSS Browser" was "Ninja Browser". I liked the bottom orientated layout, the search on site functionality and opening links in the background. I removed all I didn't want and added some things from my other apps.

The next step was a simplified UI. I decided to move all menus and dialogs in in so called "bottomsheet dialogs". This is a android native method to show things moving in from the bottom of the screen. With the new "Overview" it is possible to move the old "StartPage" together with the "tab overview" in such a dialog. Now you can reach all important content in one layout. And this layout can be shown, without opening a new tab. Now all incoming views are handled the same way. The UI is more consistent.

Also the old tab preview used a custom layout. This layout caused many other layout problems. Now, using the native "bottomSheet dialog", I have less layout troubles, less code and less bugs.

Another important point is, that I'm making this app mainly for my use. So if there are two ways I'll always will prefer the one, which I like more. I tested the new layout for several weeks. It's not the same like the old one. But you'll get used to it. At least I got.

Some of your points of critic are already on my to-do list. The next step will be the more individual implementation of gestures. Separated for the floating action button and the adressbar. Swiping up to open overview and switching tabs by swiping left and right will also be an option.

Last, but not least, I'll have to say, that I'm not a learned developer. All I'm coding I learned on my own from tutorials or documentations. I don't have the knowledge to upgrade a database without loosing some user data.

At the moment there is nothing more to say. Thank you for all your support. The journey will go on. I hope with you.

Regards and a happy new year
    Gaukler Faun
    Here is the promised test release. Please make a backup before using (I recommend OandBackup). It is possible that you will lose some data. Things to do before official release:

- new help dialog
    - update screenshots
    - bookmark import and export
    - what you tell me ...

Changes:

- the overview tab is now also a dialog displayed from the bottom
    - tab preview is integrated in the overview
    - bookmarks and login data are now in one tab
    - bookmarks filtering and sorting
    - gestures on toolbar and navigation button are now handled the same way
    - new options for gestures in the settings

Thanks for testing and still following this thread. The show must go on!

Regards
    Gaukler Faun
    Update v 5.7

As promised ( along time ago) here's the update. It took longer, but there are some changes:

### v 5.7
    - new: delete indexed databases and local web storage
    - new: Spanish translation (thanks to Herman Nunez)
    - new: confirmation dialog before making backup
    - new: delete separate lists (Startpage, history, ...)
    - new: show unsecured connections and try reloading secure
    - new: search engines (Startpage DE, Searx)
    - new: notification when download or screenshot complete
    - new: block remote content
    - improved Chinese translation (thanks: lishoujun)
    - removed: Snackbar (replaced with toasts)
    - removed: request desktop site
    - removed: build in file manager
    - fix: some strings (thanks: gr1sh)
    - fix: some urls opening search results

Thanks for your input and for using "FOSS Browser"!