In a nutshell, Cast Controller is a tiny Browser, which detects emedded videos in webpages and lets you cast them directly to your TV with a single Tap.
Even if the UI looks like made by an 12-years-old, this little bastard excels in supplying your FireTV or AndroidTV with videos aside of the official offerings of Google and Amazon.
Unlike similar apps, Cast Controller gets the video directly from the Browser after the site has been loaded completely and therefore handles a huge variety of video players and -sites.
For the "enduser-oriented", official description, please refer to the App's Micropage. If you wan't the XDA-version, continue reading
- Watch almost every video on the Web on your TV via Amazon FireTV or a Google Cast-enabled Device.
- No need for any additional companion- or receiver-app on your TV.
- Handles a huge variety of video players and -sites (see below for more information), even if videos are asynchronously loaded.
- Working seamlessly with sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and Vimeo, as well as almost every video your phone's Browser would play too.
- Control video playback from your phone, including easy seeking in long videos with the recently added progress bar.
- Browser with Favorites management, Autocomplete and search powered by Duckduckgo.
- Integrated AdBlocker and Tracking Protection for unrooted phones, safely preventing you from most annoying ads and malicious redirects (PRO only - free via XDA).
- Play your last watched videos directly, without having to re-visit the page (PRO only - free via XDA).
- Completely Ad-Free (PRO only - free via XDA).
- You can cast to other devices like Smart TVs or Game Consoles now by sending the video to third party apps like AllCast, BubbleUPnP or LocalCast.
- Open links directly from your favourite Browser or any other app with Share-functionality in Cast Controller.
- New built-in Popup Blocker for both Free and PRO Version.
- Share or copy the link of found videos, to do whatever you want with it
- Build a playlist of videos (PRO only - free via XDA).
How to use
That's pretty simple either:
- Connect your phone or tablet to the same WiFi-Network your FireTV or Cast-Device is on.
- Available devices will pop up in the Toolbar in the top right corner. Choose a device you want to play on. If you don't see any devices, please check your connection.
- Visit the page where your video is located. You can type an URL or a search term into the input field.
- Tap the video and start it in the browser to get it recognized. If a video was found, the Action Button turns orange. Tap the Button to start playing on your TV.
- ??? (it may take some time for the FireTV/Chromecast to buffer the video, especially if it's a bigger one)
- Profit - enjoy
Get PRO-version for free, exclusively on XDA
Unfortunately, my friends are not that tech-savvy, most of them don't even know what a Chromecast is and prefer cable-TV over Netflix & Amazon Video.
So I give away 100 free Promo Codes for the Pro-Version, exclusivly here on XDA Just post a reply and I will send you a coupon asap (usually within a day).
Please notice that I can only supply you with a free PRO-Version if you get the app from Google Play, Amazon does not offer that kind of promotions.
Where to get
Cast Controller is available via Google Play or Amazon App Store.
If you like it, please post a nice review and/or tell your friends, it has been recently downvoted by people who didn't knew how to use it... Maybe it's usage is not that self-explaining, I'm working on that...
Supported sites, Limitations
First, let's see which sites are already tested working:
- Facebook, Vimeo, Instagram, Twitch, Vid.me, Clipfish, Veoh, Chip.de Video
- Additionally, every site using standard HTML5 video players or an actual version of JW Player
- Most "grey area" video streaming sites, like Streamcloud, Vidzi and you name it
- Most big adult Tube-sites
- Twitter and Vine - videos are broken in the browser, probly due to a bug in Android's built-in WebView --> trying to fix this!
- Dailymotion and MyVideo, couldn't figure that out yet --> trying to fix this!
- Youtube - had to remove support, as Google rejects the App otherwise.
- Amazon Video, Hulu and Netflix, for obvious, DRM-related reasons
- ANY kind of Flash-videos (again, for obvious reasons)
The browser itself imposes some natural limitations as well:
- The Desktop mode is limited to sites that are actually using seperate Desktop/Mobile versions. So called "Responsive" sites (like XDA) adapt solely on basis of your device's screen size and can therefore not be changed.
Help me with Translations
Cast Controller is currently available in English, German and Spanish - if you speak another one and are motivated to translate ~40 short clauses, you'd do me a huge favor!! Just PM me or leave a post.
Naturally, I'll give you credit in the Changelog (here and in the Stores) and mention you on the Startpage (unless you explicitly don't want me to).
Upcoming features in the next Releases:
- Adding support for Vine, Twitter, Dailymotion, MyVideo
- I'm open for further suggestions, just leave a post
Further improve DLNA-support--> removed with 1.10 due to performance issues and limited functionality. I'm planning to do an own App on this, which is tailored to the specific requirements of that protocol
- DLNA, via third party apps like BubbleUPnP, AllCast & Co. --> new in 1.13
- Autocomplete for URL input --> done, 1.7
- On first start, the app needs some time to be set up. Instead of the blank white screen, I'll include a nice splash screen. --> done, 1.7
- Experimental DLNA-support added --> done, 1.8, removed in 1.10
- Open HTTP-links from other Apps (via Share) directly in the app --> done, v1.8
- Improved Video Detection to find Videos embedded in iframes --> done, v1.8
Erm... no thanks, I think I'm fine, seriously I don't want to make a fast buck with you, that's why I'm giving it away for free here. I developed this app because I had a certain need no other app could fulfill.
However, you can help me: If you like it, please tell your friends about it and give me a good review. If not, please contact me or post your feedback here to improve it.
Any feedback appreciated!