[APP][4.1+][V3.4.1] Commandr for Google Now

Search This thread

jcorey

Apr 7, 2010
I'm not sure what to do with the pause music test. There's a line that you can type text, but it just turns red. I tested Now directly and "pause music" is the command to pause said music. Even "note to self pause music" works just fine. But for the Commandr app, what is it wanting here?

hatdrc

Feb 17, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 4 XL
I'm not sure what to do with the pause music test. There's a line that you can type text, but it just turns red. I tested Now directly and "pause music" is the command to pause said music. Even "note to self pause music" works just fine. But for the Commandr app, what is it wanting here?

It wants you to type "note to self pause music" on the line below

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSenG2x

jdtimothy

Feb 22, 2014
Tasker

I cannot figure out how to use the app with tasker! Please help.

Edit - never mind it finally loaded the profiles...they just didn't show up at first

Last edited:

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Update 1.1 Pushed!

- Multiple fixes to the setup flow (sorry about that!)
- Multiple crash and bug fixes
- Fixes for a subset of Samsung devices
- Set multiple phrases for a single command by separating the phrases with commas
- Tasker fixes
- New Command: Read aloud unread SMS, now you can say "note to self unread SMS"
- This was the most voted command, keep on voting!
- This is the reason for the sms and contact permissions

Update may take awhile to get updated on the play store...

hyogga

May 11, 2006
Fantastic app, thanks.

Anything about suporting other languages or being able to change "note to self" to other phrase?

Reactions: RSenG2x

kennymck43

Oct 1, 2010
So would it just answer those questions with those responses or are you looking for more dynamic interpretation for example using some type of chatbot-like functionality to actually try to have a conversation with the user?

Did any toast message or dialog pop up when you said this? What command did you use?

There is a chance to feed this dynamic responses?
I mean, Commandr works with notes... What do you think if each of us brings new answers to common questions?
The notes could be shared and those that no has any response, anyone can answer it.
Each note could have 4 o 5 answers and the same community maintains the questions/answers.
More questions, more answers ;)

Would be fun with jokes or another kind of requests.

boldvishal

Jun 13, 2012
Tasker and other issues

Is there any specific phrase to be used for tasker? When I say "Note to Self <Task_Name>, it does not execute the tasker command although I can see the command list in the tasker list.
Also, when I executed flashlight on - it did turn on the flash light but flash light turn off did not work as it interpreted as " flash light off" (Note the space in between flash and light). Even there was a permanent notification left in my notification window which could be done away only by a restart.

pep0te

Nov 4, 2008
Hey,

Could you put an example with Tasker?

Edit: I didn't click on external control -.- now it works.

A M A Z I N G.

Last edited:

CPTBeaker

Apr 16, 2009
This app seems to work very well so far and the Tasker integration makes this really powerful.

I don't however see a way to manage the list of Tasker tasks that Commandr displays. I made a few tasks in Tasker and messed around with them in Commandr for a while. I then decided to delete these tasks from Tasker, but they still show up in Commandr after deleted from Tasker. Commandr doesn't refresh the list.

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Is there any specific phrase to be used for tasker? When I say "Note to Self <Task_Name>, it does not execute the tasker command although I can see the command list in the tasker list.
Also, when I executed flashlight on - it did turn on the flash light but flash light turn off did not work as it interpreted as " flash light off" (Note the space in between flash and light). Even there was a permanent notification left in my notification window which could be done away only by a restart.

What version of the app are you using? It sounds a lot like an issue fixed in 1.1... As for the command you can always change the phrase that will activate a command...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

boldvishal

Jun 13, 2012
What version of the app are you using? It sounds a lot like an issue fixed in 1.1... As for the command you can always change the phrase that will activate a command...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

I am using the latest version of 1.1. How do I change the phrase?
Some user guides please.

Edit: I am able to use tasker commands now but unable to change the phrase of "Note to Self". Is that possible?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dhiraj

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
You have made NFC tags obsolete. I am a heavy user of Tasker, so now all I have to do is tell my phone to do what I want done. Most of my Commandr commands are Tasker tasks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

elequent

Aug 19, 2008
Does not work on the phone

Hey. It does not work on my Moto G.

After I config it, when I test it with "Note to self xxx". It says "no apps able to send note".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    commandrfeature.jpg

Add commands to Google Now, no root required!
    No more "note to self" before every command! (v2.0)

As Featured on CNET, XDA, LifeHacker, SlashGear, Android Police, Android Authority, Android Central, Droid Life, Android Community, Android Pit, and more!
    "If you are looking for a way to add a few extra voice commands to Google Now, give Commandr a try!" - CNET
    "... if you're using your phone hands free in the car, it can be a life saver" - LifeHacker
    "With the 3rd-party-developed app Commandr, Google Now gets a boost" - SlashGear
    "... meet Commandr, the new in-between service for flipping hardware switches in Google Now" - Android Police

Google Now Just Got Better
    Now you can use Google Now to control your flashlight, toggle settings, control music playback, and much more!

Google Now Just Got Personal
    Add your own custom commands through Tasker to make sure your device fits your lifestyle.

Listening to You
    Vote on new commands or suggest new ones so that we are working on adding the commands you want.

Improving Quickly
    Don't wait for Google! Updates will be quick and support request responses quicker.

Unify Your Smartphone
    Access all the features of your device through Google Now so you don't have to remember what app does what.

Setup and Forget
    Once you setup Commandr, it will always be accessible from Google Now and will only run when needed. It won't slow down your phone or your boot.

Commands work fully offline!

Command List (so far):
    - Flashlight On/Off
    - Wifi On/Off
    - GPS On/Off (some devices)
    - Bluetooth On/Off
    - Wireless Hotspot On/Off
    - Pause/Resume Music
    - Previous/Next Song
    - Read Unread SMS
    - Read Last SMS From Contact
    - Play Google Music Playlist
    - Chatbot (for Siri-like functionality)
    - Cellular Data On/Off
    - Read Unread Gmail
    - Raise/Lower Volume
    - Silence/Unsilence Ringer
    - Set Volume to Percentage
    - Unlock/Lock phone
    - Take a Picture
    - Take a Selfie
    - Shutdown (Root)
    - Reboot Recovery (Root)
    - Restart (Root)
    - Clear Notifications (Root)
    - Wolfram Alpha
    - Send Whatsapp message
    - Enable/Disable Rotation Lock
    - Enable/Disable Sync
    - Night mode (Disable wifi, data, and ringer)
    - Enable/Disable Airplane Mode (Root)
    - Enable/Disable Car Mode

Developer: Ryan Senanayake
    Graphic Designer: Adriano Loiacono

Website
    Play Store
    Media Kit

Want to help translate?
    https://www.getlocalization.com/commandr/

Want to help develop?
    Source Code: https://github.com/RSenApps/Commandr-Android
    Tutorials & Changelog

Tasker (In-App): Use this for launching a single task
    1. Install Commandr and Tasker - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en
    2. Navigate to Tasks and press the add button in the bottom-right
    3. Configure the command and keep note of the name
    4. Ensure that Tasker is enabled (icon in top left is colored)
    5. Go to preferences (top-right) > Misc and check "Allow External Access"
    6. In the Commandr app click Tasker
    7. Find the command you created and enable it by tapping the switch top-right
    8. (Optional) edit the phrase that will activate the command

Tasker (Plugin): Use this for launching multiple tasks
    1. Install Commandr and Tasker - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en
    2. Under Profiles Click Add
    3. Event
    4. Plugin
    5. Commandr
    6. Configure the phrase to listen for
    7. Add tasks to profile

3.4.1:
    - Fixed recognition for new Google Search update. Sorry for the delay on this, I've been busy finishing up my last year of high school... I've setup some systems so that if an update breaks it in the future, it should be faster to fix...
    - Updated translations

3.4:
    Have to thank the Commandr open source community for this update. I've been busy with school and sports, I'll hopefully get some more time soon...

Thanks to chylek:
    - Tasker variable %commandr_text available for more complex tasker commands
    - Fixes for recognition of subsequent commands
    - Matched regex groups are transferred to Tasker as variables %commander_N
    (where N is the group number)

Thanks to Daniel Quah (emansih):
    - Added Twitter command

​3.3.1:
    - Fixed a major bug for users with Tasker commands. Sorry about that, it was literally a one word change which got through testing. Thank you for everybody who helped me resolve this!

3.3:
    - Now search for keywords instead of an exact match. For example if you enter "Commandr is cool, Commandr & good" then all of the following phrases will match "Commandr is cool", "Commandr is really good", "Look at how good Commandr is"
    - New Command: Navigate with Waze
    - Crash & Bug Fixes
    - Updated translations Contribute at getlocalization.com/commandr

3.2:
    - I'm excited to announce that I will be attending MIT next year!!! Thank you so much for your support, I couldn't have done it without you :) Now I get some extra time to push out some updates...
    - Battery Status Command
    - Audio Capture Command
    - Lollipop updates and niceties...
    - Some infrastructure work so future updates will be even faster! (Help contribute on Github!)
    - Bug fixes
    College is expensive, small donations are extremely appreciated! If every user donates 15 cents, I won't have to make my parents pay :)

3.1:
    - New Command: Thank you Google (closes Google and reopens previous app) - this will only work if you are not using Google Now Launcher
    - New Command: Screen Brightness (specify percentage)
    - Fix crash on Lollipop when donating
    - Don't show the annoying no command toast when using the Xposed module
    - Updated translations
    - bug fixes

​3.0.1:
    - Fix for crash on contact button. (Please note: I am still unable to respond to messages because of homework, but I do look at all the messages and use them to guide further development...)
    - Fixes for random apps opening after executing a command

3.0:
    - Full Android Wear Support! Run commands from your watch by either saying "Okay Google" + command or by opening the included Android Wear app and tapping on the command
    - Some Lollipop Goodness!
    - bug fixes
    New Commands:
    - Wireless Hotspot (flyingtoaster0)
    - Sync (emansih)
    - Night mode (disable wifi, data, and ringer) (emansih)
    - Airplane Mode (emansih)
    - Car Mode
    - Read Last SMS from Contact
    - Clear Notifications (root)

2.8:
    - New Command: Silence/Unsilence Ringer
    - New Command: Enable/Disable Rotation Lock
    - New Command: Send Whatsapp Message
    - Added ability to donate based on huge number of requests (thank you guys so much!!!)
    - Updated Translations - help contribute at http://getlocalization.com/commandr
    - Various bug fixes

2.7:
    - New Command: Take a Picture - shows the camera with a three second countdown before it takes a picture.
    - New Command: Take a Selfie - same thing as above, but with front camera
    - New Command: Wolfram Alpha - now you can say things like "wolfram integral of x squared" and it will open it up in either the wolfram alpha app or the website. (thanks firesoul453)
    - New Commands (Root Only): Shutdown, reboot into recovery, restart phone (thanks firesoul453)
    - Flashlight command now shows a UI when activated which should fix any remaining devices where the flashlight turns off after a second
    - Google Now will be reset before executing a Tasker command to prevent conflicts
    - Added a small banner ad with the option to turn it off, for the reasoning behind it see: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54869625&postcount=143
    - Updated Translations - getlocalization.com/commandr

2.6:
    - New Command: Set Volume to Percentage Command (thanks to open-source contributor firesoul453)
    - New Command: Unlock/Lock Phone (turned off by default)
    - Bug fixes for flashlight command (if you are still having issues please let me know)
    - Return to Previous App now works with users using Google Experience Launcher
    - Stop Commandr from speaking by tapping a button in the notification bar (for users with too many messages)
    - Updated Translations - getlocalization.com/commandr

2.5:
    - New Command: Read Unread Gmail - will read snippets from all unread gmail messages (utilizes new Gmail Api announced at Google IO 2014)
    - New Command: Raise/Lower Volume
    - Tasker Event plugin accessible through Tasker>New Profile>Events>Plugin>Commandr
    - Return to last app after recognizing a command (optional) (accessibility service only)
    - Bug fixes
    - Updated Translations
    2.4:
    - New Command: Chatbot - Makes Google Now one step closer to Siri by allowing users to ask it anything and it will respond using PandoraBots
    - New Command: Toggle Cellular Data
    - Tasker Commands can now have comma-separated phrases
    - Issues with Tasker Commands which launch an activity are now resolved
    - Misc. Bug Fixes

2.3:
    - Commandr is now open source! https://github.com/RSenApps/Commandr-Android
    - Fix issue where Google Now would still execute a command executed by Commandr
    - When accessibility service is enabled, automatically disable note command as Google's implementation works better
    - Fix issues with flashlight command and google play music playlist command
    - Multiple bug fixes
    - Updated and add multiple translations
    2.2:
    - Due to a huge number of suggested commands, users can now add commands directly and moderation will happen retroactively. If you have submitted a command suggestion, but have not received a response, please add it again in-app.
    - Listen to Google Play Playlist Command. Still working on making this actually play the music, but for now it will open the playlist. (This was the most voted command!)
    - Multiple bug and crash fixes
    - Added multiple translations (see the description)

2.1:
    - Initial Italian translation: thanks to fast work by translators on http://www.getlocalization.com/commandr
    - Quick bug fix for users not using Tasker

2.0:
    - No more "Note to Self"! Found an improved workaround which uses an accessibility service to listen for commands. (I have kept the "note to self" for users uncomfortable about the increased permissions)
    - No more waiting for "saving note...". Commands happen instantly.
    - Commands now work offline! Even the note command which used to only work online
    - Bug and Crash fixes

1.1:
    - Multiple fixes to the setup flow (sorry about that!)
    - Multiple crash and bug fixes
    - Fixes for a subset of Samsung devices
    - Set multiple phrases for a single command by separating the phrases with commas
    - Tasker fixes
    - New Command: Read aloud unread SMS, now you can say "note to self unread SMS"
    - This was the most voted command, keep on voting!
    - This is the reason for the sms and contact permissions
    Quick update on progress on removing requirement of "note to self" for root uses...

This was implemented successfully using MohammadAG's Google Now API, but unfortunately it seems that this api has many bugs and has to be updated for the new version of Google Search. As soon as this is updated (he is on vacation right now), I will add this functionality :) For now, rolling back changes...
    2.3:
    - Commandr is now open source! https://github.com/RSenApps/Commandr-Android
    - Fix issue where Google Now would still execute a command executed by Commandr
    - When accessibility service is enabled, automatically disable note command as Google's implementation works better
    - Fix issues with flashlight command and google play music playlist command
    - Multiple bug fixes
    - Updated and add multiple translations
    2.4:
    - New Command: Chatbot - Makes Google Now one step closer to Siri by allowing users to ask it anything and it will respond using PandoraBots
    - New Command: Toggle Cellular Data
    - Tasker Commands can now have comma-separated phrases
    - Issues with Tasker Commands which launch an activity are now resolved
    - Misc. Bug Fixes

Keep voting for and suggesting commands in-app!