[APP][ROOT/SHIZUKU][10+][11/Feb] DarQ: Per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10+

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
PFfaGMr.png

DarQ provides a per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10 and above.

It uses a root or Shizuku (ADB) service to apply the theme seamlessly and quickly, without needing an accessibility service.

DarQ also provides an option to apply the system dark theme (as well as selectable force dark) only after sunset and before sunrise, protecting your eyes when it's most needed.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions sections in the app or here for more information and some answers to questions

Download from GitHub releases

Source available on GitHub

Screenshots:

QJ8KOet.png
ZlgurUU.png

Examples of apps with force dark enabled:

6wp1GQK.png
N0bhKGi.png

Changelog:

v2.2 & v2.2.1
DarQ 2.2 is a maintenance release with Android 13 support and a fix for location related crashes for the Auto Dark Theme option.
2.2.1 fixes a crash introduced in 2.2

v2.1
DarQ 2.1 contains a few new features and fixes:
  • Backup and Restore your config to device or the cloud
  • A rewritten Xposed module with the ability to make even more apps work with force dark, including Snapchat and an option (enabled by default) to fix the inverted (black on dark) status bar icon colors.
  • Fixed crashes related to navigation in the app
  • Fixed a crash where requesting root could cause a crash
  • Improved some Material You theming throughout the app
Please note, if you use the Xposed module currently, your settings may be reset by this update. Read the instructions in this post to workaround this.

v2.0
DarQ 2.0 is a complete, from scratch rewrite of DarQ, with a lot of improvements:
  • DarQ 2.0 has an entirely new design, with Material You elements and Monet (wallpaper-based) colours.
  • The ADB script is now gone, and instead Shizuku handles the service on non-root devices. If you don't know what Shizuku is, think of it like a Superuser app for non-root devices. Start Shizuku via ADB on a computer (or even on your phone on Android 11 and above) once per boot, and any app that uses Shizuku can use ADB services.
  • The Accessibility Service has been replaced with a ProcessObserver, using the Shizuku/Root service. This is much quicker than Accessibility, so apps that previously were opening too quick to be supported may now work.
  • Improvements to the auto dark theme at sunrise/sunset to work better on different devices.
  • Improvements to the Xposed module for apps that try to block the use of force dark, preventing them from doing so.

Last edited:

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Reactions: steven360

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
This is awesome already!! Few apps that I use very often that it did not work with: whatsapp, maps, google search

Reactions: AshDevil

Tisckkytt

Jun 30, 2018
Unfortunately not working for me. Root & accessibility access given. DP4, GSI on a treble enabled device.
Toggling 'Enable Dark Theme' has no effect & 'Force Dark Theme' option won't let me toggle the switch but it shows 'Restart any apps to apply this change' message when tapped.
I selected some apps & toggled force dark manually from dev settings but the selections don't seem to apply that way too.
If you need logs let me know. Thanks

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
Reactions: cattolicboy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PFfaGMr.png

DarQ provides a per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10 and above.

It uses a root or Shizuku (ADB) service to apply the theme seamlessly and quickly, without needing an accessibility service.

DarQ also provides an option to apply the system dark theme (as well as selectable force dark) only after sunset and before sunrise, protecting your eyes when it's most needed.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions sections in the app or here for more information and some answers to questions

Download from GitHub releases

Source available on GitHub

Screenshots:

QJ8KOet.png
    ZlgurUU.png

Examples of apps with force dark enabled:

6wp1GQK.png
    N0bhKGi.png

Changelog:

v2.2 & v2.2.1
    DarQ 2.2 is a maintenance release with Android 13 support and a fix for location related crashes for the Auto Dark Theme option.
    2.2.1 fixes a crash introduced in 2.2

v2.1
    DarQ 2.1 contains a few new features and fixes:
    • Backup and Restore your config to device or the cloud
    • A rewritten Xposed module with the ability to make even more apps work with force dark, including Snapchat and an option (enabled by default) to fix the inverted (black on dark) status bar icon colors.
    • Fixed crashes related to navigation in the app
    • Fixed a crash where requesting root could cause a crash
    • Improved some Material You theming throughout the app
    Please note, if you use the Xposed module currently, your settings may be reset by this update. Read the instructions in this post to workaround this.

v2.0
    DarQ 2.0 is a complete, from scratch rewrite of DarQ, with a lot of improvements:
    • DarQ 2.0 has an entirely new design, with Material You elements and Monet (wallpaper-based) colours.
    • The ADB script is now gone, and instead Shizuku handles the service on non-root devices. If you don't know what Shizuku is, think of it like a Superuser app for non-root devices. Start Shizuku via ADB on a computer (or even on your phone on Android 11 and above) once per boot, and any app that uses Shizuku can use ADB services.
    • The Accessibility Service has been replaced with a ProcessObserver, using the Shizuku/Root service. This is much quicker than Accessibility, so apps that previously were opening too quick to be supported may now work.
    • Improvements to the auto dark theme at sunrise/sunset to work better on different devices.
    • Improvements to the Xposed module for apps that try to block the use of force dark, preventing them from doing so.
    Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.

Why did this take so long for a one line change?
    Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
    However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
    What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
    And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.

Enjoy.
    Version 1.2 is now available on XDA Labs, at long last!

If you're using ADB (the non-root method), please make sure to download and run the script too.

Changelog said:
    v1.2
    - DarQ now works without root! Use the ADB script from the XDA thread or GitHub repository to run the required background service to use DarQ without needing to root your device.
    - Fixed root detection
    - Added OxygenOS support
    - Added a search box to the app list
    - Added a filter for system apps (hidden by default) in the app list
    So I'm on CrDroid 9.1 based on Android 13. Is there something different I have to do through LSPosed than I was before? I'm confused that some people claim to have DarQ working on 13 but I'm unable to darken any app. Just looking for a little clarification.
    Thanks
    The jist of it is:

App developers have two options when it comes to force-dark. Either they choose to allow it, or not.

If it is allowed, the app will keep any force-dark changes made by Android

If it ISNT allowed, the app WILL revert any force-dark changes made by Android.

The Darq app (not the XPosed/LSPosed module) will work fine with apps that ALLOW force-dark.

The XPosed/LSPosed module is only for apps that DISALLOW use of force-dark. The module ignores what the app allows/disallows and enables force-dark anyways

The XPosed/LSPosed module no longer works on Android 13

Hopefully that clarified things a bit.
    DarQ 2.0 is here!

Changelog:

There's screenshots in the first post, and you can get the APK from GitHub releases