FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][ROOT][Q][11/July] DarQ - Per-app selectable force dark option for Android Q

7,952 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,655

By Quinny899, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 30th June 2019, 08:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th September 2019, 08:04 PM |#101  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 400

More
More info? Is the selective per-app dark mode not working, is the timed Dark mode not working, is the override dark mode function not working, what?

I've got plenty of screenshots I can show that it is working perfectly fine here using override method (and rooted).

And I just found this thread on Reddit that shows how to force enable dark mode on GMail build 2019.08.18.267044774.release (released on 4 Sep):

https://www.reddit.com/r/android_bet...ark_theme_now/

But that has nothing to do with DarQ - this is supposed to be a server-side setting that we're manipulating to enable early....

11th September 2019, 10:45 PM |#102  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,450

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinwicked

To be honest, I'm not factory resetting again. I'm on 3 already. I realize that doing what you asked singles this out to only this app due to nothing else messing with settings, but, I don't really know what would be the precursor to DarQ doing this? And the app worked fine, no problem before I upgrade to stable 10. I figured it was something with the 10 update that changed or whatever. Anyway, let me know if you have any more suggestions. I'm going to do without the app for now.

One way to find out might be only applying a dark theme to an app that was not restored with Swift. Just an idea.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using XDA Labs
12th September 2019, 03:25 PM |#103  
St Louis
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yochananmarqos

One way to find out might be only applying a dark theme to an app that was not restored with Swift. Just an idea.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using XDA Labs

The times I installed it fresh, I did literally nothing with the app. Went to settings, apps and the problem started. There was nothing applying at all.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlgalt

No, no. I was on *all* of the ẞetas, and took the original OTA over ẞeta 6. But I also have a habit of cleanly installing after a new major version comes out, so after I installed the Q10 OTA over ẞeta 6, and managed to mangle Magisk somehow, I went ahead and clean installed - and when I did, I cleanly installed (April build of) Pie (in order to have TWRP successfully decrypt my data without having to always remove my login PIN / Pattern / PW) to both slots, rooted by booting TWRP and flashing the Magisk Canary .ZIP (which fixed all of the issues I ran into with Magisk and the ẞeta 6 --> Q10 OTA upgrade), then took the Q10 OTA over Pie.

But while I was on the original Q10 OTA upgrade of ẞeta 6, I did not have these issues you had - and I've been using Quinn' s DarQ for a while, since around ẞeta 2 or 3, IIRC. No issues like you had at all.

As for the number of ẞetas I've been on - well, every one since Google started doing ẞetas in the first place, and before that Moto ẞetas on Sholes & Targa. Please don't take this as me being a jerk, I'm just stating the facts - I've been doing this a long time, and I almost always take the OTA the first go around *before* I go back and cleanly install. This time the only reason I installed Pie first was for the decryption of data in TWRP - nothing more. And DarQ was not installed in Pie because, well, it's Pie - and this is Dar*Q* for a reason

To clarify, you didn't install DarQ until AFTER you took the OTA to 10? That changes things if yes. I guess I assumed it was installed before. Makes more sense though.

As for the betas - my point was, the two betas I've been on, 9 and 10, some apps didn't work if installed after a clean install of a beta. But, in my experience, most do when already installed and setup, then taking the OTA (or flashing without the -w). That's all. I wasn't saying anything to the effect that you wouldn't necessarily know these things, or that you don't know what betas are like.
The Following User Says Thank You to gettinwicked For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gettinwicked Ad-Free
12th September 2019, 11:59 PM |#104  
Flag Atlanta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinwicked

The times I installed it fresh, I did literally nothing with the app. Went to settings, apps and the problem started. There was nothing applying at all.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

To clarify, you didn't install DarQ until AFTER you took the OTA to 10? That changes things if yes. I guess I assumed it was installed before. Makes more sense though.

As for the betas - my point was, the two betas I've been on, 9 and 10, some apps didn't work if installed after a clean install of a beta. But, in my experience, most do when already installed and setup, then taking the OTA (or flashing without the -w). That's all. I wasn't saying anything to the effect that you wouldn't necessarily know these things, or that you don't know what betas are like.

Correct, installed DarQ after taking Q OTA.

And I understand what you meant. I've seen the same behavior wrt apps and ßeta / new major OS version.

I've also seen the exact opposite (as has nearly everyone upgrading to a new major version of an OS) - where the installed app stops working, but a simple uninstall / reinstall gets it working again.

It's just weird that it (causes) crashes on your device and not mine.
13th September 2019, 03:00 PM |#105  
St Louis
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlgalt

Correct, installed DarQ after taking Q OTA.

And I understand what you meant. I've seen the same behavior wrt apps and ßeta / new major OS version.

I've also seen the exact opposite (as has nearly everyone upgrading to a new major version of an OS) - where the installed app stops working, but a simple uninstall / reinstall gets it working again.

It's just weird that it (causes) crashes on your device and not mine.

Okay, so, this got way weirder. I decided to try again just for grins. Downloaded it, checked, no problem. Installed it, checked, no problem. Granted root, checked, no problem. Gave it usage permissions, checked, no problem. Then I started going through the apps that I want to put in dark mode, as I checked each one, checked app settings, no problem! WTF? I'm very happy it's working now, but, I tried this a few times before, and once it was installed, nothing else, it was causing the force close issue. I haven't done anything except clear cache and such with SD Maid and reboot today. So weird.
13th September 2019, 07:40 PM |#106  
Flag Atlanta

More
1) I'm glad you had the wherewithal to try it again.

2) I'm even more glad that it is not causing an issue *anymore*. I say anymore, because in the time since you first tried all this and now, I suspect that you've had one or more app updates.

Or, it could very well be that it needed to be carried over / restored to break, and then uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it. Who knows?

At least it works now - and you have access to it again.
13th September 2019, 08:48 PM |#107  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

I don't have a OnePlus phone to test on, could you try the original version (1.0), see if that works? If not, enable the developer option in the phone's system settings for force dark, then pm me the result of "adb shell getprop" from a PC (you can remove any information you want from it, as it may contain serials and the like, so long as you leave any references to force dark in place)

Hi, I have PMed you the results of this command. I have OnePlus 7 Pro running Oxygen OS Open Beta Android 10 (released Sept 3), latest unofficial TWRP, Canary-stream Magisk root. When I install the current DarQ apk, give it root permissions and Accessibility permissions, the app does not appear to have any ability to control the force-dark setting for all apps, or any apps individually.

If there's any solution, thank you in advance! When I manually enable force-dark in the Developer Options, imho the Google Now app, Assistant, Instagram, WhastApp, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and a few other apps look great. But others (Snapchat and Facebook) become unusable.

If there's an alternative free path to forcing dark mode on a per-app basis (Riru, EdXposed, Taichi, Tasker, Substratum, etc.) that is safe for Android 10, I would love to know. (I'm aware Swift Black can do it in Substratum for a couple of bucks.)
16th September 2019, 08:10 AM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Hello, thnx for this very nice app.

After deinstalling the app the arrow on pixel launcher homescreen remains. Is there a way to revert this somehow?

Cheers

Sent from my Google Pixel using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to Sgace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sgace Ad-Free
16th September 2019, 05:32 PM |#109  
dans tes 22
Thanks Meter: 2,054

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgace

Hello, thnx for this very nice app.

After deinstalling the app the arrow on pixel launcher homescreen remains. Is there a way to revert this somehow?

Cheers

Ok, just found, It's there if you have an accessibility service enabled, just disable it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

Edit
And/or if you have already deleted the app, enable an accessibility service and disable it
The Following User Says Thank You to laupuy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift laupuy Ad-Free
16th September 2019, 07:57 PM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laupuy

Ok, just found, It's there if you have an accessibility service enabled, just disable it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

Edit
And/or if you have already deleted the app, enable an accessibility service and disable it

Holy crap, thank you so much. Didn't know this existed. It's gine now.

Turned out it was still there because of a service of another app I use.

Cheers

Sent from my Google Pixel using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to Sgace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sgace Ad-Free
Yesterday, 04:55 PM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello, im on Android 10 and my phone is Rooted but DarQ is not activating.....!!!
After activating the accessibility service and back to the DarQ app it showing that phone is not rooted......!!!! Can anybody help
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android q, dark, force dark, root, theme

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)