FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][ROOT][Q][11/July] DarQ - Per-app selectable force dark option for Android Q

7,952 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,655

By Quinny899, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 30th June 2019, 08:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th July 2019, 10:50 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8rooted&tooted

It activated whatever dark mode the app can support. I have some black and some dark. No choice between them, but some are black. It depends how the app is built. I have a few news apps that go black, and few others are dark.

So if a developer adds their own dark mode along and it happens to be black then the q dark mode force uses the inbuilt dark mode rather than making it a dark grey?

6th July 2019, 02:18 PM |#22  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Salford, Greater Manchester, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supleed2

So if a developer adds their own dark mode along and it happens to be black then the q dark mode force uses the inbuilt dark mode rather than making it a dark grey?

Force dark adaptively inverts colours, DarQ has no control over what colours it'll end up as. Apps can override force dark to disable it if they want to implement their own dark theme.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2019, 04:04 AM |#23  
Quote:
Originally Posted by supleed2

It is all the way the app was built and what it draws its dark mode from. Either material (dark) or black (q dark mode). Some apps have a material design that can flip the material and turns it grey dark and some go black like the q dark mode is. I notice older design apps go black as oppose to newer material theme apps go dark/grey.
11th July 2019, 02:31 AM |#24  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 167

More
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's not working in beta 5. thanks heaps for the great idea/work tho.
11th July 2019, 07:01 AM |#25  
Flag Athens!!
Thanks Meter: 163

More
It doesn't work for me as well in beta 5 but I had a weird bug in beta 4. I had it only enabled for a few apps but sometimes it was being applied to fb messenger when in bubble mode.
11th July 2019, 07:20 AM |#26  
Flag Ortigas
Thanks Meter: 114

Donate to Me
More
is this same as substratum overlay?
11th July 2019, 08:02 AM |#27  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_tho

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's not working in beta 5. thanks heaps for the great idea/work tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvylas

It doesn't work for me as well in beta 5 but I had a weird bug in beta 4. I had it only enabled for a few apps but sometimes it was being applied to fb messenger when in bubble mode.

Already known, will be fixed later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedrops

is this same as substratum overlay?

No. Read the FAQ.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th July 2019, 02:47 PM |#28  
St Louis
Thanks Meter: 178

More
I have to say, this is by FAR the best idea/app in a long time! I've been going dark mode on as many things as possible, and I just can't go back. I love this because most of the apps I use can now utilize dark mode. Thank you for the awesome idea and for putting it into something that we can use! I can't wait for the B5 compatible version! (patiently of course)
The Following User Says Thank You to gettinwicked For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gettinwicked Ad-Free
11th July 2019, 08:52 PM |#29  

Donate to Me
More
Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.

Why did this take so long for a one line change?
Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.

Enjoy.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th July 2019, 09:15 PM |#30  
St Louis
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.

Why did this take so long for a one line change?
Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.

Enjoy.

Thanks for getting this out so quickly! I didn't even think about it not working when I updated yesterday.

I know this is off topic, but, you say you have V4A working? How did you do that? I'm on a 3xl on Q and was under the impression it didn't work yet for Q.
11th July 2019, 09:19 PM |#31  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinwicked

Thanks for getting this out so quickly! I didn't even think about it not working when I updated yesterday.

I know this is off topic, but, you say you have V4A working? How did you do that? I'm on a 3xl on Q and was under the impression it didn't work yet for Q.

Just install the module as normal and unzip and dump the attached sh file in /data/adb/service.d with 0755 permissions (-rwxr-xr-x), then reboot again. It will work as normal after that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip setenforce.zip - [Click for QR Code] (155 Bytes, 54 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android q, dark, force dark, root, theme

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)