Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.
Why did this take so long for a one line change?
Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.