[APP][ROOT/SHIZUKU][10+][11/Feb] DarQ: Per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10+

Search This thread

supleed2

Feb 17, 2015
It activated whatever dark mode the app can support. I have some black and some dark. No choice between them, but some are black. It depends how the app is built. I have a few news apps that go black, and few others are dark.

So if a developer adds their own dark mode along and it happens to be black then the q dark mode force uses the inbuilt dark mode rather than making it a dark grey?

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
So if a developer adds their own dark mode along and it happens to be black then the q dark mode force uses the inbuilt dark mode rather than making it a dark grey?
Force dark adaptively inverts colours, DarQ has no control over what colours it'll end up as. Apps can override force dark to disable it if they want to implement their own dark theme.

dd805bb

Sep 18, 2017
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
It is all the way the app was built and what it draws its dark mode from. Either material (dark) or black (q dark mode). Some apps have a material design that can flip the material and turns it grey dark and some go black like the q dark mode is. I notice older design apps go black as oppose to newer material theme apps go dark/grey.

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's not working in beta 5. thanks heaps for the great idea/work tho.

It doesn't work for me as well in beta 5 but I had a weird bug in beta 4. I had it only enabled for a few apps but sometimes it was being applied to fb messenger when in bubble mode.

Already known, will be fixed later today.

is this same as substratum overlay?

No. Read the FAQ.

I have to say, this is by FAR the best idea/app in a long time! I've been going dark mode on as many things as possible, and I just can't go back. I love this because most of the apps I use can now utilize dark mode. Thank you for the awesome idea and for putting it into something that we can use! I can't wait for the B5 compatible version! (patiently of course)

Reactions: Quinny899

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.

Why did this take so long for a one line change?
Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.

Enjoy.

Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.

Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.

Enjoy.

Thanks for getting this out so quickly! I didn't even think about it not working when I updated yesterday.

I know this is off topic, but, you say you have V4A working? How did you do that? I'm on a 3xl on Q and was under the impression it didn't work yet for Q.

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Thanks for getting this out so quickly! I didn't even think about it not working when I updated yesterday.

I know this is off topic, but, you say you have V4A working? How did you do that? I'm on a 3xl on Q and was under the impression it didn't work yet for Q.

Just install the module as normal and unzip and dump the attached sh file in /data/adb/service.d with 0755 permissions (-rwxr-xr-x), then reboot again. It will work as normal after that.

Attachments

• setenforce.zip
    155 bytes · Views: 119

Henboy10

Jan 1, 2018
Without root?

I'd like to use the app just simply for the ability to turn on system dark mode automatically. I don't need the force dark setting. Is this possible to do without root?

haax

Mar 27, 2011
Why don't you make black list for apps that we don't want to be force dark themed? It would be much easier to select few apps that don't work well with dark theme forced rather than selecting all apps that we want to be themed with force dark mode.

Reactions: Shihabus Sakib Rad

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Why don't you make black list for apps that we don't want to be force dark themed? It would be much easier to select few apps that don't work well with dark theme forced rather than selecting all apps that we want to be themed with force dark mode.

Because force dark is not made to be bulk applied to apps, it breaks far more apps than it works on and causes unexpected bugs that you may not even realise are related to it. It's a developer option, not a user facing option, and shouldn't be applied to anything you don't know for sure it's being applied to.

Reactions: sieghartRM and haax

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PFfaGMr.png

DarQ provides a per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10 and above.

It uses a root or Shizuku (ADB) service to apply the theme seamlessly and quickly, without needing an accessibility service.

DarQ also provides an option to apply the system dark theme (as well as selectable force dark) only after sunset and before sunrise, protecting your eyes when it's most needed.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions sections in the app or here for more information and some answers to questions

Download from GitHub releases

Source available on GitHub

Screenshots:

QJ8KOet.png
    ZlgurUU.png

Examples of apps with force dark enabled:

6wp1GQK.png
    N0bhKGi.png

Changelog:

v2.2 & v2.2.1
    DarQ 2.2 is a maintenance release with Android 13 support and a fix for location related crashes for the Auto Dark Theme option.
    2.2.1 fixes a crash introduced in 2.2

v2.1
    DarQ 2.1 contains a few new features and fixes:
    • Backup and Restore your config to device or the cloud
    • A rewritten Xposed module with the ability to make even more apps work with force dark, including Snapchat and an option (enabled by default) to fix the inverted (black on dark) status bar icon colors.
    • Fixed crashes related to navigation in the app
    • Fixed a crash where requesting root could cause a crash
    • Improved some Material You theming throughout the app
    Please note, if you use the Xposed module currently, your settings may be reset by this update. Read the instructions in this post to workaround this.

v2.0
    DarQ 2.0 is a complete, from scratch rewrite of DarQ, with a lot of improvements:
    • DarQ 2.0 has an entirely new design, with Material You elements and Monet (wallpaper-based) colours.
    • The ADB script is now gone, and instead Shizuku handles the service on non-root devices. If you don't know what Shizuku is, think of it like a Superuser app for non-root devices. Start Shizuku via ADB on a computer (or even on your phone on Android 11 and above) once per boot, and any app that uses Shizuku can use ADB services.
    • The Accessibility Service has been replaced with a ProcessObserver, using the Shizuku/Root service. This is much quicker than Accessibility, so apps that previously were opening too quick to be supported may now work.
    • Improvements to the auto dark theme at sunrise/sunset to work better on different devices.
    • Improvements to the Xposed module for apps that try to block the use of force dark, preventing them from doing so.

Enjoy.
    Version 1.2 is now available on XDA Labs, at long last!

If you're using ADB (the non-root method), please make sure to download and run the script too.

Changelog said:
    v1.2
    - DarQ now works without root! Use the ADB script from the XDA thread or GitHub repository to run the required background service to use DarQ without needing to root your device.
    - Fixed root detection
    - Added OxygenOS support
    - Added a search box to the app list
    - Added a filter for system apps (hidden by default) in the app list
    So I'm on CrDroid 9.1 based on Android 13. Is there something different I have to do through LSPosed than I was before? I'm confused that some people claim to have DarQ working on 13 but I'm unable to darken any app. Just looking for a little clarification.
    Thanks
    The jist of it is:

App developers have two options when it comes to force-dark. Either they choose to allow it, or not.

If it is allowed, the app will keep any force-dark changes made by Android

If it ISNT allowed, the app WILL revert any force-dark changes made by Android.

The Darq app (not the XPosed/LSPosed module) will work fine with apps that ALLOW force-dark.

The XPosed/LSPosed module is only for apps that DISALLOW use of force-dark. The module ignores what the app allows/disallows and enables force-dark anyways

The XPosed/LSPosed module no longer works on Android 13

Hopefully that clarified things a bit.
    DarQ 2.0 is here!

Changelog:
    DarQ 2.0 is a complete, from scratch rewrite of DarQ, with a lot of improvements:
    • DarQ 2.0 has an entirely new design, with Material You elements and Monet (wallpaper-based) colours.
    • The ADB script is now gone, and instead Shizuku handles the service on non-root devices. If you don't know what Shizuku is, think of it like a Superuser app for non-root devices. Start Shizuku via ADB on a computer (or even on your phone on Android 11 and above) once per boot, and any app that uses Shizuku can use ADB services.
    • The Accessibility Service has been replaced with a ProcessObserver, using the Shizuku/Root service. This is much quicker than Accessibility, so apps that previously were opening too quick to be supported may now work.
    • Improvements to the auto dark theme at sunrise/sunset to work better on different devices.
    • Improvements to the Xposed module for apps that try to block the use of force dark, preventing them from doing so.

There's screenshots in the first post, and you can get the APK from GitHub releases