FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Wear OS App] Enable Google Pay in unsupported countries using Permanent Proxy!

1,248 posts
Thanks Meter: 315

By Humpie, Recognized Developer on 9th October 2019, 07:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Humpie: Now on the Google Play store!
7th January 2020, 11:31 AM |#171  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpie

v3.8:
Installation
Method 1: Download the latest mobile-release.apk from https://github.com/Jolanrensen/Perma...earOS/releases or from https://labs.xda-developers.com/stor...permanentproxy and install it on your Android phone. Next, go to the "Apps on your phone" section in the Play Store on your Wear OS watch. Install Permanent Proxy.

Hello Humpie, and thanks for this handy app.

If someone already has a previous version installed both on the Phone and on the Watch, and they update the app on their phone with the latest version, do they have to first uninstall the older version app from their watch and then re-install it, is there a faster way to update the app on their watch, or updating the app on the watch is done automatically and no steps are necessary?
7th January 2020, 11:55 AM |#172  
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoPaul

Hello Humpie, and thanks for this handy app.

If someone already has a previous version installed both on the Phone and on the Watch, and they update the app on their phone with the latest version, do they have to first uninstall the older version app from their watch and then re-install it, is there a faster way to update the app on their watch, or updating the app on the watch is done automatically and no steps are necessary?

You're welcome!
No you don't have to uninstall, it's still the same package. The easiest way indeed is just to update the phone version from xda labs or something and then the watch version will update eventually automatically! (Or you can manually update it from the "apps on your phone" section in the play store on your watch).
9th January 2020, 05:18 AM |#173  

More
#169 Totally agree with you Humpie.
Permanent Proxy is just a VPN tools for wear os
if its not allowed,
as common sense, Google should dis-allowed and remove all VPN related APPS for android phone from their play store.

Althrough I'm google and android FANS.
I don't like the way how they deal with google pay for wear os( they opened this function for all country few years ago and then closed it in most of those country)
and I will always support this great small and useful APPS and author.
9th January 2020, 09:37 AM |#174  

More
Quote:

Simple app to run a proxy (on boot) on a Wear OS device and enable geo-restricted apps like Google Pay in unsupported regions!

Sometimes big companies decide that Geoblocking is a good idea. I don't agree. So that's why I created this Wear OS app to allow users to use their watch as if they were in another country. This means you can use certain payment apps or otherwise geospecific apps wherever you are in the world!

The app uses Android's built-in http_proxy command that turns on a proxy for the whole system and which normally can only be accessed using a computer and ADB Shell. This app however, uses the "ADB over Bluetooth" functionality of the watch to enable the proxy by itself. This can even be turned on at boot!

Installation
Method 1: Download the latest mobile-release.apk from https://github.com/Jolanrensen/Perma...earOS/releases or from https://labs.xda-developers.com/stor...permanentproxy and install it on your Android phone. Next, go to the "Apps on your phone" section in the Play Store on your Wear OS watch. Install Permanent Proxy.

Method 2: Download the latest wear-release.apk from https://github.com/Jolanrensen/Perma...earOS/releases. Install it on your Wear OS watch directly using ADB.

Get started
To get started, first enable the Developer Options of your watch, which can be achieved by going to Settings -> System -> About and tap the Build number until you are a "developer". Next, go to Settings -> Developer options and enable "ADB debugging" and "Debug over Bluetooth". Finally start up Permanent Proxy, request permission and press "Allow" or "Always allow this Computer" if prompted. After requesting permission, ADB can be turned off again to save battery, unless you want to turn off the proxy completely.

Now you can get started! Simply enter a proxy address and port, enable it (and on boot if you like) and you're done!

Proxy services can be found online and can be from any country. However, do make sure you completely trust the proxy you chose before you enter it! All the data of your watch might be sent through that proxy, even sensitive data, so act at your own risk.

Having trouble getting permission?
Some older watches are not powerful enough to get Secure Settings permission by itself using my method. If this is the case for your watch, you will need a PC to grant Permanent Proxy permission. The instructions are also available in the app description.

First make sure to connect your watch to your PC via ADB. You can Google how to do this, there are lots of tutorials. When your watch is connected, use the command

Code:
adb shell pm grant nl.jolanrensen.permanentproxy android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
to give Permanent Proxy the permissions needed to turn on/edit the proxy.

To turn off the proxy, connect to your PC in the same manner as before, but now you will need the following command:

Code:
adb shell settings delete global http_proxy; adb shell settings delete global global_http_proxy_host; adb shell settings delete global global_http_proxy_port; adb shell settings delete global global_http_proxy_exclusion_list; adb shell settings delete global global_proxy_pac_url; adb shell reboot
Thanks to reddit user /u/shadowban!

XDA:DevDB Information
[Wear OS App] Permanent Proxy, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Humpie

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.8
Stable Release Date: 2020-01-06

Created 2019-10-09
Last Updated 2020-01-06

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

14th January 2020, 11:58 AM |#175  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have managed to setup my own proxy server, installed the Permanent Proxy app via Wifi ADB and everything seemed to work (including Google Pay which showed up fast). However once I have disconnected from my home network (thru which I did the ADB changes) I noticed the proxy don't work anymore. It is still configured correctly, however the app shows my external IP as the external IP used by the phone and not the proxy IP. The internet on the watch still does not work. Do you have any idea what is the problem? Should I have configured the proxy without being connected to Wifi?

EDIT: Seems the proxy server stopped for some reason. So it was not a proxy settings issue.
14th January 2020, 07:29 PM |#176  
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriantc_ro

I have managed to setup my own proxy server, installed the Permanent Proxy app via Wifi ADB and everything seemed to work (including Google Pay which showed up fast). However once I have disconnected from my home network (thru which I did the ADB changes) I noticed the proxy don't work anymore. It is still configured correctly, however the app shows my external IP as the external IP used by the phone and not the proxy IP. The internet on the watch still does not work. Do you have any idea what is the problem? Should I have configured the proxy without being connected to Wifi?

Hi!
It shouldn't matter how you set up Permanent proxy. Once it's enabled the IP+port you entered is stored on the watch's system settings and your watch will always try to use that proxy to connect to the internet (even if you uninstall permanent proxy without disabling the proxy from the app first).
If your watch cannot connect to the proxy it will default to connecting to the internet without proxy, so in your case, it might be that your phone is blocking the proxy and your home network isn't. That way on your home network, the watch will connect to the proxy and through your phone it can't.
Which port are you using for your self-made proxy? I've read about some issues sometimes with port 80 (as it's commonly used for http and thus deemed unsafe my mobile providers). In that case my advice would be to change your proxy to another obscure port, this would also be more secure as it's harder to guess. Do make sure no firewall where you created the proxy is blocking that port.
The Following User Says Thank You to Humpie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2020, 10:15 PM |#177  

More
Quote:

Hi!
It shouldn't matter how you set up Permanent proxy. Once it's enabled the IP+port you entered is stored on the watch's system settings and your watch will always try to use that proxy to connect to the internet (even if you uninstall permanent proxy without disabling the proxy from the app first).
If your watch cannot connect to the proxy it will default to connecting to the internet without proxy, so in your case, it might be that your phone is blocking the proxy and your home network isn't. That way on your home network, the watch will connect to the proxy and through your phone it can't.
Which port are you using for your self-made proxy? I've read about some issues sometimes with port 80 (as it's commonly used for http and thus deemed unsafe my mobile providers). In that case my advice would be to change your proxy to another obscure port, this would also be more secure as it's harder to guess. Do make sure no firewall where you created the proxy is blocking that port.

While the server had problems it seems also the 80 port is troublesome with my mobile Internet. As you mentioned the connection to the proxy cannot be done on 80, so I changed to a new port and it worked. Now if I could only add the cards to Google Pay. Damn Google 😒
15th January 2020, 08:08 AM |#178  
Quote:

While the server had problems it seems also the 80 port is troublesome with my mobile Internet. As you mentioned the connection to the proxy cannot be done on 80, so I changed to a new port and it worked. Now if I could only add the cards to Google Pay. Damn Google 😒

Great!
Is GPay crashing? Or can't you add them for another reason? In the first case, try to manually update GPay from the play store.
15th January 2020, 08:16 AM |#179  

More
Quote:

Great!
Is GPay crashing? Or can't you add them for another reason? In the first case, try to manually update GPay from the play store.

I have pretty much everything installed: Magisk (with GPay fix module, Hide enabled for GMS and GPay, SafetyNet all green), EdXposed (GMS blacklisted), Google Play Store certified. But I cannot seem to add the cards... I mean I can add them, but it cannot enable the contactless feature. Initially it only said the bank doesn't support it (although it sure does... it is Revolut and Curve, both are supported UK fintechs), but it tried to do the normal authorization procedure (I could see the hold). Someone gave me the idea to clear the Data on Play Services and after I did that the message changed and stated it detected the root (everything still Green with SafetyNet). It is really annoying since Google Pay is one of the highlights of Wear OS and I cannot use it.
15th January 2020, 09:43 AM |#180  
Quote:

I have pretty much everything installed: Magisk (with GPay fix module, Hide enabled for GMS and GPay, SafetyNet all green), EdXposed (GMS blacklisted), Google Play Store certified. But I cannot seem to add the cards... I mean I can add them, but it cannot enable the contactless feature. Initially it only said the bank doesn't support it (although it sure does... it is Revolut and Curve, both are supported UK fintechs), but it tried to do the normal authorization procedure (I could see the hold). Someone gave me the idea to clear the Data on Play Services and after I did that the message changed and stated it detected the root (everything still Green with SafetyNet). It is really annoying since Google Pay is one of the highlights of Wear OS and I cannot use it.

Oh you mean in Google pay on your phone! I'm rooted with magisk as well and I can add cards, so that's not the problem. However, if you cannot enable contactless payments for a card then that card's BIN number is not supported. The BIN number defines which country the card is from and that number needs to be from one of the supported countries. You can look up which country your card belongs to online.
I cancelled my Revolut card when I found out it had a Dutch BIN. Then I changed my address to Germany (because it's a supported country), ordered a new one and changed the delivery address back to the Netherlands. Using that method I got a card with a German BIN, that one I could add to Google pay and I've been using it to pay with my watch for a few months now.
15th January 2020, 10:53 AM |#181  

More
Quote:

Oh you mean in Google pay on your phone! I'm rooted with magisk as well and I can add cards, so that's not the problem. However, if you cannot enable contactless payments for a card then that card's BIN number is not supported. The BIN number defines which country the card is from and that number needs to be from one of the supported countries. You can look up which country your card belongs to online.
I cancelled my Revolut card when I found out it had a Dutch BIN. Then I changed my address to Germany (because it's a supported country), ordered a new one and changed the delivery address back to the Netherlands. Using that method I got a card with a German BIN, that one I could add to Google pay and I've been using it to pay with my watch for a few months now.

I have 2 cards with UK bins so they are valid (and supported according to Google). One of them is a Revolut with a UK bin (when Revolut started supporting my country the first batches of cards had UK bin and I got one of those… now they have proper Romanian bin). Anyhow I have even tried putting in a UK address on Google’s payment profile and adding the card while on a VPN in UK. Still no go… somehow it first detects the root (again SafetyNet is green) and if I try again I only get that general bank not supported error.

What settings do you have in Magisk and what modules are loaded? Is GMS hidden? Is Pay hidden? As many details as you can provide would be perfect.

Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)