What to do if you don't want to use Messenger, rather to send messages from the Facebook app itself?
a) If you'd like to use the voip function, use 18.104.22.168.66 patched.
Do NOT use the unpatched app with Messenger 1.0 because it won't let you see your messages, instead it will ask you to update Facebook.
b) If you don't care about voip calls, but need Facebook's new features and a rich messaging interface like in Messenger, use either 22.214.171.124.18 patched or 126.96.36.199.67 patched (both for ARM only).
It also offers some extra features that the APK patched with 2.9 doesn't have:
● Version modified to 999 so the app won't ask you to update.
● Fixed crash when opening gallery from composer.
● No duplicate emoji buttons in composer.
● Bubble style delivery state icons like in Messenger.
● Blue title bar to fit FB's design (v85 only).
c) If you'd like to stay up-to-date, you can always patch the latest version using Facebook Patcher 100+. The latest version where message notifications work is 188.8.131.52.68. Note that you'll only see the mobile messaging site in the in-app browser on the latest versions!
● 184.108.40.206.68 patched for ARM devices (51.9 MB)
● 220.127.116.11.68 patched for x86 devices (54.8 MB)
● Send messages directly from the main Facebook app without the need to install Messenger.
● Send emojis and stickers.
[The following features aren't offered by Facebook Patcher 100+, just by FBPatcher 2.9 up to version 18.104.22.168.18]
● Use QuickCam to capture & send images and short videos instantly.
● Edit images and videos before sending them.
● Share images from conversations to Facebook.
● Send hot likes, audio clips, events and locations.
● See cool snow fall and floating hearts when sending the appropriate emojis.
● Play Messenger's basketball and soccer game (unfortunately, without score submission).
[The following features are only applicable to Facebook Patcher 100+]
● No matter what variant you download, the patched APK will be a 4.0.3+ one.
● Removes lots of junk from the APK and compresses it --> much smaller app size!
0. Install the latest Java runtime if you don't have it yet.
1. Download a Facebook APK from apkmirror.
2. Download the patcher (from V100, use Facebook Patcher 100+), start it with double click and follow the instructions.
3. Uninstall the official Facebook app.
4. Copy the patched apk to your device, install and enjoy!
Can't start the patcher
Firstly, update to the latest Java -- the patcher requires version 1.8 at least. If you can't start it with double click on Windows, you should associate jar files with 'javaw.exe' (NOT 'java.exe' as it won't work). It's in the bin folder of your Java installation (typically 'Program Files\Java\jre*').
On Linux/Mac, you should use 'chmod +x' on the jar file before the first run to get execution permission. Google it if you're not familiar with that command.
Got an error while patching
● Most likely: Facebook changed something in the code, please wait for patcher update.
● Very unlikely: you don't have enough space (<100MB) for the patcher's temporary files.
● Very unlikely: APK file is corrupted, try to download it again.
If nothing helps, post a log or screenshot here.
Can't install patched APK
● You have the official Facebook app installed, you should uninstall it first.
● You have it preinstalled (flashed on 'system') -- you can only get rid of it with root, sorry, not my fault.
● You're trying to install a 4.0.3+ variant over a 5.0+ one and vice versa, uninstall the app first.
● You're trying to install a 5.0+ variant on a pre-Lollipop system, try patching & installing a 4.0.3+ variant.
Patched app quits on start
● If you've just updated to a patched alpha, you may have to clear app data before first start. Some alphas may get in an infinite loop on start if old app data is present. This is not the patcher's fault, the original app also has this issue.
● It's very likely that you've downloaded an APK built for an architecture that's different from your device's one. For example, you have an x86 device and installed an ARM APK that won't work. Since x86 mobile devices are rather rare, you could hardly find any x86 APK's. To obtain one for your device, you should install it from Google Play and save the APK with a backup application or Total Commander. Then you can pull it to your PC and patch it. Don't forget to uninstall the original app before trying to install the patched one!
These issues are known and can't/won't be fixed.
● On some versions prior to 22.214.171.124.69 the app crashes when scrolling down 20 messages in thread list, this is not the patcher's fault, use a later version to avoid this bug (126.96.36.199.18 is recommended).
● Back and info buttons on title bar, GIF and Payment buttons don't do anything.
● On Android 6.0+, clicking the blue button in the Messenger permission request window causes a crash. Grant the permissions for the app from Settings/Apps.
● Your basketball and soccer score won't be submitted to the thread.
● From v107, message notifications don't work because Facebook messed up something - use v106 stable instead.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Q: What does it do to the Facebook app?
A: FBPatcher is a desktop Java application that needs a Facebook APK file as input and will provide you a patched APK as output, with Messenger functionality. It only does minimalistic (but yet not trivial) modifications to some classes and the manifest, new code isn't inserted into the app -- the Messenger window with all of its resources and code is in the original APK, this patcher just makes it accessible.
Q: Will the patched app be updated via Play Store?
A: No, you should always download, patch and install the latest version manually to be up-to-date.
Q: Is there any way to make VoIP calls working?
A: From V56, no. Use 188.8.131.52.66 if you need free calls.
Operations performed by the patcher
● Extracts manifest and dex files.
● Finds patchable classes in the dex files by searching for patterns that identify those classes.
● Disassembles dex files that contain patchable code, automatically modifies the classes and reassembles the files.
● Patches the manifest to remove FB specific permissions and modify the Messenger window's theme.
● [100+ only] Reduces app size by removing unused files.
● Updates the APK with the patched files and signs it.
List of patched stuff
● AndroidManifest.xml -- modifies ThreadViewActivity's theme and removes FB specific permissions to allow other FB apps to be installed, also adds CreateThreadActivity again.
● ForceMessenger -- enables in-app messaging.
[The following classes don't exist from a specific version / aren't touched by Facebook Patcher 100+]
● MessengerMSiteUriIntentBuilder -- creates entry points for Messenger code instead of mobile messaging site, also enables some features.
● DiodeMessengerActivity -- replaces the 'Install Messenger' Fragment with Messenger thread list.
● ThreadListFragment -- defines an on-click event for thread list items (ThreadViewActivity will be opened with the selected thread / mobile site will show up when tapping message request).
● FacebookActivityDelegate(Impl) -- crash fix for ThreadViewActivity.
● MuteThreadWarningNotification -- crash fix for ThreadViewActivity.
● BballView(.3) -- crash fix for basketball game.
● SoccerFeedbackEmojisView -- crash fix for soccer game.
● MessagesVideoConfigModule -- Enables gallery video sending/transcoding.
● InboxFilterManager.NoSaveStateBehavior -- was missing, added again
● TwoLineComposerView -- remove Payment button action
● ThreadListContextMenuHelper -- remove 'Mute thread' option
Included third party libs
● XZ for Java by Tukaani
● smali/baksmali by JesusFreke
● SignApk (part of AOSP)
Click to see licenses.
All the files in this package have been written by Lasse Collin and/or Igor Pavlov. All these files have been put into the public domain. You can do whatever you want with these files.
This software is provided "as is", without any warranty.
Licensing of smali/baksmali
[The "BSD licence"]
Copyright (c) 2010 Ben Gruver (JesusFreke)
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in thedocumentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR "AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Licensing of SignApk
Copyright (C) 2007 The Android Open Source Project
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY -- If you place a file called 'fbpatcher.dev' next to the FBP100+ jar file, containing the following text: 'I want my intern settings menu!', internal settings will be enabled in the Facebook app.
Free of Facebook code.
Version 2.9, 07-21-2016
● Support for latest versions (web view messaging only)
● Fixed crashing new message option (mobile site fallback)
● Patchability check (does not proceed if Messenger code is missing)
Version 2.7, 06-25-2016
● Support for message requests
Version 2.6, 06-17-2016
● Fixed new message option for 184.108.40.206.39
Version 2.5, 06-16-2016
● OS native look and feel with support for high DPI displays
● Sticker search feature
● Fixed new soccer game
● Removed crashing options (mute thread & payment)
Version 2.4, 06-08-2016
● Same as 2.3 but has a GUI
● Reduced size (425KB)
Version 2.3, 06-04-2016
● Support for latest versions (tested up to 220.127.116.11.49 alpha)
● Reduced size thanks to proguard
Version 2.2, 06-01-2016
● Support for latest versions (tested up to 18.104.22.168.20 alpha)
● Removed aapt without losing backwards compatibility
Version 2.1, 05-30-2016
● Support for latest versions (tested up to 22.214.171.124.44 alpha)
● Much faster patching (dex files are assembled in memory)
Version 2.0, 05-26-2016
● 'New message' function: tap [<-] button on title bar in thread list
Version 1.9, 05-25-2016
● Support for latest versions (tested up to 126.96.36.199.18 alpha)
● Resource name obfuscation resistance
Version 1.8, 05-21-2016
● Bugfixes for latest stable and beta versions
Version 1.7, 05-21-2016
● Support for latest versions (tested up to 188.8.131.52.52 alpha)
Version 1.6, 05-20-2016
● Support for latest versions (tested up to 184.108.40.206.39 alpha)
● Basketball game re-fix
● Much faster and error-free patching
● APK verification
● Reduced size (removed apktool, wrote own manifest hacking routine)
● Improved cleanup method - requires less free space
Version 1.5, 05-07-2016
● Better logging and error handling
● Other Facebook apps can now be installed
● Backwards compatibility down to V59
Version 1.4, 05-04-2016
● Video sending from gallery
● Inline video playback
● Floating hearts
● Linux aapt permission fix
Version 1.3, 05-01-2016
● Easy starter batch file included for Windows users
● Reduced size
● No more separate 'tools' directory, everything is within 'fbpatcher.jar'
● More readable and structured command line output
● Error codes
Version 1.2, 04-30-2016
● Apktool/smali logging
● Safety cleanup on start
● Support for latest versions (tested up to 220.127.116.11.49 alpha)
● Messenger thread list instead of mobile site
● QuickCam video sending
● Basketball game fix
Version 1.1, 04-27-2016
● Support for latest versions (tested with 18.104.22.168.66 stable and 22.214.171.124.19 alpha)
If you like FBPatcher, you can support its development, or simply click Thanks or share this thread on social media sites.