FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] UnifiedNlp - FLOSS Wi-Fi- and cell-tower-based geolocation

491 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,919

Post Reply Email Thread
Introduction
UnifiedNlp is a FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) tool for geolocating android phones without Google's Geolocation service. It allows apps that use Android's coarse or network locating features to geolocate the phone which is usually faster and less battery consuming then GPS. If you use your phone without GAPPS this might become a useful tool for you.
The real location work is done by backends (plug-ins) that can be configured through the UnifiedNlp UI. There is already a number of backends out there that use data from various data sources, some of them working completely offline.
The same backend technique is used for UnifiedNlp's secondary feature: (reverse) geocoding. This allows apps like the android gallery to convert geo-coordinates to an address, resulting in better user experience.
UnifiedNlp is the successor of NOGAPPS NetworkLocation and part of the microG Project.

Installation
UnifiedNlp comes with official support for Android 4.4 (KitKat) and Android 5.0 (Lollipop). Installation on AOSP-based ROMs for this version is easy:
  1. Make sure that no Google geolocation tool is installed (it is usually listed as Google Play Services in Apps)
  2. Download and install NetworkLocation.apk as a usual app (you may need to enable "Unknown sources" in Settings->Security)
  3. Reboot

If your system is not AOSP-based but GAPPS-free and the above instructions do not work for you, try placing NetworkLocation.apk directly in /system/priv-app/ and reboot.

If your system has Xposed, you can use this Xposed module together with UnifiedNlp.apk

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) through Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) are not officially supported (meaning newer versions of UnifiedNlp are not tested on these platforms). Still a legacy version is published with every release. Android 4.2+ is known to usually work properly, older versions are often not supported by backends and thus can't use UnifiedNlp. Push LegacyNetworkLocation.apk directly to /system/app and reboot to try it out.

Download
Latest stable release: v1.4.0 - Download NetworkLocation.apk - LegacyNetworkLocation.apk - UnifiedNlp.apk
Older versions and pre-release builds can be found on GitHub

Backends
I developed and will support three backends, that you can find on GitHub:AppleWifiNlpBackend, IchnaeaNlpBackend (Mozilla Location Service), OpenWlanMapNlpBackend and NominatimGeocoderBackend
These and backends by other developers are usually released on F-Droid.
If you installed a third-party backend and you're not sure whether the problem is caused by UnifiedNlp or the backend, feel free to write here.

Upcoming/planned features
- Better status information to check whether installation succeeded or not and what steps might be needed
- Backend prioritization and complex rule system

FAQ
Q: It does not work!
A: Make sure you read the installation instructions properly and that locating would be possible using the backends provided. Are you sure you rebooted? Is your system GAPPS free? OK. Now, ask!

Thanks
Big thanks to everyone who continuously supported me doing this, by donating, pull-requests or just feedback. Thanks to backend developers, that made this tool useful. Thanks to Google for leaving a door in Android that makes this possible.

XDA:DevDB Information
microG UnifiedNlp, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
MaR-V-iN
Source Code: https://github.com/microg/android_pa...pps_UnifiedNlp

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.4.0
Stable Release Date: 2015-09-15

Created 2015-01-02
Last Updated 2015-10-04
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to MaR-V-iN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MaR-V-iN Ad-Free

2nd January 2015, 11:02 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,356

More
yahoooo.! thank you @MaR-V-iN.

"all i can really do , is stay out of my own way and let the will of heaven be done"
2nd January 2015, 11:15 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 223

More
Hail to the King!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sick1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sick1 Ad-Free
3rd January 2015, 03:37 AM |#4  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 62

More
What other apps will be affected by disabling google play services? Want to try this but I have Play services installed.
3rd January 2015, 10:20 AM |#5  
Flag 日本国
Thanks Meter: 2,077

More
Thank you very much for this.

Just a note to point out that GitHub's mobile site has no downloads anywhere to be seen if one gets there from a smartphone on default mode, and users might get really confused about it. One has to switch to the desktop site to find the backend APKs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
3rd January 2015, 10:48 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,919

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa25

What other apps will be affected by disabling google play services? Want to try this but I have Play services installed.

If you run with play services I guess you installed the complete GAPPS package, including Play Store etc. These either require Play Services or misbehave with Play Services removed or replaced.

However, chances are good that there will be a complete Play Services replacement including UnifiedNlp sometime (sooner or later - no ETA here)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MaR-V-iN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MaR-V-iN Ad-Free
3rd January 2015, 12:12 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Quote:

Every APP which requires Google play licensing or the play services. F.e. Google Music
A lot of paid apps f.e. Poweramp will not work

But u are able to download your paid apps in Blank Store f.e. Tasker

Nova Launcher or Atlas Browser and most CM Themes are working fine without gapps even the paid Version.
U can only buy apps on the Play Store Website and you have no option to return the APP.

But if everything is working fine for you then stay with Gapps because it requires a lot of work and knowledge.
But some people like it that way
The Following User Says Thank You to Cozmos23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cozmos23 Ad-Free
3rd January 2015, 01:42 PM |#8  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaR-V-iN

If you run with play services I guess you installed the complete GAPPS package, including Play Store etc. These either require Play Services or misbehave with Play Services removed or replaced.

However, chances are good that there will be a complete Play Services replacement including UnifiedNlp sometime (sooner or later - no ETA here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmos23

Every APP which requires Google play licensing or the play services. F.e. Google Music
A lot of paid apps f.e. Poweramp will not work

But u are able to download your paid apps in Blank Store f.e. Tasker

Nova Launcher or Atlas Browser and most CM Themes are working fine without gapps even the paid Version.
U can only buy apps on the Play Store Website and you have no option to return the APP.

But if everything is working fine for you then stay with Gapps because it requires a lot of work and knowledge.
But some people like it that way

I see, thanks for the info. I use Nova and Phoenix ROM and just selected a few gapps.

I do use Play Store....well, it's the only app I know where to easily get and install apps from (when searching for an app), other than getting an apk elsewhere which I copy and install manually. What are you guys using? I tried browsing and downloading a few times on my phone but they don't work when installing. Probably I need an installer app on my phone? How do you guys manage these installations via the phone? I'd like this so I don't have to keep attaching my phone to the PC and transferring apks to install. Thanks again.
4th January 2015, 06:19 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
µg UnifiedNlp works great on Android 4.2.2.

GPS first fix time is faster than Google network location.

Looks like µg UnifiedNlp can save more battery since it's lower wakelock time compare with Google network location.

The Following User Says Thank You to mnirun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mnirun Ad-Free
8th January 2015, 03:50 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Wow, this is awesome! It must have been a LOT of work to get this working, let alone making it stable and usable, thank you! Android is really very usable without gapps now.
Also, here are a couple links to anyone interested in using it completely offline: https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...d.wifi_backend and https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...id.gsmlocation
The wifi backend even updates the local database with nearby APs once it has found a GPS fix, real neat!

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Quote:

I see, thanks for the info. I use Nova and Phoenix ROM and just selected a few gapps.

I do use Play Store....well, it's the only app I know where to easily get and install apps from (when searching for an app), other than getting an apk elsewhere which I copy and install manually. What are you guys using? I tried browsing and downloading a few times on my phone but they don't work when installing. Probably I need an installer app on my phone? How do you guys manage these installations via the phone? I'd like this so I don't have to keep attaching my phone to the PC and transferring apks to install. Thanks again.

I use F-Droid and Aptoide. Aptoide really has a LOT of software, highly recommended. It is a fork of F-Droid if I'm not mistaken, still open source and you can set-up your own repositories.
8th January 2015, 04:45 AM |#11  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_alvarez

Wow, this is awesome! It must have been a LOT of work to get this working, let alone making it stable and usable, thank you! Android is really very usable without gapps now.
Also, here are a couple links to anyone interested in using it completely offline: https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...d.wifi_backend and https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...id.gsmlocation
The wifi backend even updates the local database with nearby APs once it has found a GPS fix, real neat!

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

I use F-Droid and Aptoide. Aptoide really has a LOT of software, highly recommended. It is a fork of F-Droid if I'm not mistaken, still open source and you can set-up your own repositories.

Thanks, downloaded these 2 apps now. Still reading up on UnifiedNlp. Since nogapps is needed, will I still be accessing gmail and/or google account, w/c is asked by some apps? Sorry for some confusion. Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)