So, Here we are several months later and im here to present to the xda community the Pre-Beta of V2. This is a pre-beta which means im leaning on the xda community to get some real time feedback on a few things, figure out if the launcher is working properly and just get some data before I start publishing this update on the Playstore. Being a pre-beta, there are some unfinished features, there are parts of the launcher due to change and if you are currently using GCA Launcher V1 from the playstore or xda labs, its highly suggested you uninstall that before trying V2 pre-beta. While you try out V2, Experiment with it. Watch how the apps behave with the launcher. Experiment with some of the customization thats available. See how it behaves on different devices and OS requirements. Make sure all current features are working properly. Any graphical bugs, report out (do a forum search first before you report something and if someone has reported it, just like their comment so it gives me an idea how many of you have this error or complaint). Any crashes or if something doesn't feel right, let me know.
- Launcher has been rewritten from the ground up to open up the framework of the launcher app to introduce new features
- Launcher supports Android10 gesture system but alittle buggy atm. Im working to cure this on launch.
- A revised single screen interface introducing a new layered material design.
- Launcher Sheets are a new approach to app menus. Pixel launcher uses pop menus, we will be using Sheets.
- The Swiftfeed Companion page is an optional second screen im working on(in the pre-beta, you can test the gui) Development will start soon after launcher functionality is dependable.
- The Launcher Shelf (Dock) has been separated from the App Drawer which gives the launcher a layered material interface. It also opens up a drag feature il be working on later for the Shelf.
- Shelf can now hold up to 12 favorite apps. Favorite apps can be switched out by long clicking on the Shelf Item and switching out the application package in the Sheet Menu. The Shelf can also use a 2 row feature for taller devices and scroll for smaller screens.
- The Shelf and App Drawer apps will feature different system shortcuts and features in the app sheet. App Sheets can be opened up by long clicking on an app.
- Apps can be customized in the App Sheet and mirror results from the Shelf to the Drawer. Apps can be toggled to use an icon pack, adjust the icon scaling in the Adaptive Icon Shape and adjust how the Adaptive Icon tints itself and use custom titles.
- The Shelf features a revised searchbar that can be toggled to the Top, Bottom or Removed completely. The searchbar features a shortcut to open the launcher menu, a global search feature, an assistant shortcut and has an option to store and track the usage of App Shortcuts to feature a recent actions holder.
- The App drawer features the pixel launcher carot indicator. It acts as an all apps indicator and button.
- The App Drawer has 4 main styles. Vertical Grid, Horizontal Grid, Smart Grid and Smart Vertical List. Smart Grid and Smart List uses Flex Layout Manager to determine the space available for your apps and makes calculations by itself to determine whats best for your device.
- The Blacklist is for the Primary Tab of apps that blocks apps. The Whitelist for the secondary tab is to show apps.
- The App Drawer is built on a fastscroll functionality. It does not have a drag indicator as of right now. Its built on the idea of being smooth and fast. As the App drawer rises, the Shelf will shrink to allow better access.
- Recent Apps now uses Usage Stats Data. This gives Recent Apps a 100% reliable stat and not clutter up the app drawer when its not in use. The list will update on a regular basis.
- Recent Apps don't have a long click listener (no sheets).
- The Shelf and App Drawer are theme separately based on the launcher theme and style. Android10 dark mode is also considered in this occasion.
- The App Drawer has 2 tabs for the user. The primary tab and the secondary tab. Long clicking on a tab will open up the respective Black or White list. Both tabs update and sync respectively
- App Shortcuts are generated based on the Android OS and can be found in the app sheets when set to the default launcher(Android 5-7 will have custom shortcuts in the future, developing something currently)
- GCA Notification Badges have been rebuilt from the ground up. When enabled in the android notification settings, an apps priority notification will appear in the app sheet when a badge is lit. Users can choose between a pixel like badge or an underline indicator.
- Launcher notifications (updates, firebase messages and alerts) are saved in the notifications window.
- Users can block apps from showing badges and priority notifications.
- Launcher sheets can be accessed from the launcher menu.
- The launcher homescreen can use a single widget. This widget can be swapped out by using the Widget action in the launcher menu or if your on Android 8.x, you can access widgets from an apps system shortcut
- Widgets can be resized by long clicking on them and a resize module will appear (WIP).
- The launcher settings will theme itself on Android 10 light or dark mode.
- Launcher settings features smart suggestions that appear on certain variables available
- Launcher features a revised theme system based on Pixel Launcher. As the wallpaper changes, theme system will automatically update its color scheme. The color scheme can be swapped in the theme and style settings. This does not apply to live wallpapers unless a static wallpaper was applied.
- The Launcher was built on Android 10 as a focus so different features are locked out based on the operating system your using.
- Launcher features an assortment of customization. I will be working on what is called "Focused Customization". It limits how much customization the launcher has to limit on bugs but also brings in important customization we care more of.
- GCA Launcher is free but has a feature called Pledges. Pledges are an in app product you can buy to help support development. Pledge prices change over the weekend for a discounted price. Purchasing a Pledge gives you an in app title. Pledges are what made V2 possible.
- System Shortcut options that are available (Application Information, Application Usage Stats, Battery Usage, Notification Channels, Sharing, Playstore link, Relaunch application, Uninstall application, Widget preview and clear notifications) Clicking the small arrows above quick scroll through your options.
- Long clicking on an Application Shortcut will automatically add it to the recent actions list in the searchbar (for ex: I usually have incognito tab for chrome and my apps from playstore)
- The launcher relies on built in gesture system. Currently, this gesture system is not customize able but is in the progress of being so. (Swipe up to open app drawer, swipe down to open statusbar, double tap to open launcher sheet, long click for launcher menu)
- GCA Launcher uses my Drywall app as its main wallpaper provider app. Download it as an optional add-on for extra wallpaper management features, otherwise it will allow you to choose your wallpaper app.
- Users can adjust the icon size and text size for their app icons
What's on the roadmap of development
- Groups Sheet | Allow users to create folders of apps accessible from the homescreen
- Search Sheet | Allow users to perform a global search
- Notifications Sheet | Allows GCA to keep track of all available notifications for the user
- Widgets Sheet | Allow the user to create a list of accessible widgets from this sheet
- Add focus mode
- Add app lock
- Better widget performance and reliablity
- Shelf Drag and Drop
- Swiftfeed Companion Page with available API to develop addons
- Add Android 5.0 Support, Possible Android 4.4.4
- Add full support for Android Tablets
- Better adaptive shape ovveride options (MIUI is not affected by shape ovveride)
- Smoother icons with more icon customization
- Add a listener to add homescreen shortcuts (allow google weather to add a homescreen shortcut somewhere)
I hope you all enjoy this project as Iv'e been pouring many hours into it. Its been one heck of a challenge for me.
XDA Original Post
V1 XDA Thread
Drywall Wallpaper Manager
Launcher Manager for Testing Launchers
GCA Telegram Channel
GCA Telegram News Channel
Download : Pre-Beta_V2
(Download will also be available in the Telegram News Channel)