FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Glimpse Notifications

1,098 posts
Thanks Meter: 781

By xrad, Senior Member on 23rd April 2015, 12:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

~~~~~~ Introduction ~~~~~~

Using Android Lollipop/Marshmallow's lock screen notifications?
Tired of having to press the power button to see them?
Want your phone to turn on new notifications, but only when you grab to look at it?
Want your phone to turn on right when you take it out of your pocket?
Then this app is for you!
Introducing the all new efficiency app Glimpse Notifications:

Glimpse Notification Banner

This all new app fills an annoying hole in Android Lollipop's lock screen notification system. It's nice, it's shiny, but you always need to push that damn power button. This app does it for you, and also respects quiet times and whether or not your device is in your pocket.

It also does this:
  • recurring notifications (screen on and/or sound)
  • emulate LED notifications that the system lockscreen no longer shows
  • Double-tap to lock function for lockscreen
  • custom lockscreen display time
  • lockscreen lock-on-cover function

At the same time the app is completely for free and without ads!

~~~~~~ Downloads ~~~~~~

Google Play Store
Directly download APK

~~~~~~ FAQ ~~~~~~

FAQ (Google Doc)
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to xrad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xrad Ad-Free

23rd April 2015, 01:56 PM |#2  
Flag Netherfield
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Looks interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm an ACDisplay user on an S4 but it doesn't seem to stay active the notification allowed so I'll try this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bingley Ad-Free
23rd April 2015, 02:35 PM |#3  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 184

More
thanks for this, it works well

only problem I found is that pocket detection doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S6
23rd April 2015, 06:31 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
The Internet

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm an ACDisplay user on an S4 but it doesn't seem to stay active the notification allowed so I'll try this.

Yes, been using that one (and others) as well, but I always wondered why everybody wants to reinvent the lockscreen. I'm using a pattern lock and found none of the existing solutions to work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFox78

thanks for this, it works well
only problem I found is that pocket detection doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S6

Strange. So, have you observed the screen turning on even if the proximity sensor is covered?

I plan on adding an extension to the pocket mode to cover the following use case: if the phone is pocketet or face down and you hear a notification, you typically take the phone and see what happened. Then I want it to turn on, but not necessarily everytime I take it out of my pocket. So something like "if coming out of pocket AND last notification less than N seconds ago -> turn on screen".

Perhaps we can sort your issues with the sensor out on the way.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xrad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xrad Ad-Free
23rd April 2015, 07:05 PM |#5  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 184

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrad

Strange. So, have you observed the screen turning on even if the proximity sensor is covered?

yes, I covered the proximity sensor and sent the test notification and the screen turned on

I tried a different app that does basically the same like yours and it has the same problem, so maybe it's something related to Samsung?

Quote:

I plan on adding an extension to the pocket mode to cover the following use case: if the phone is pocketet or face down and you hear a notification, you typically take the phone and see what happened. Then I want it to turn on, but not necessarily everytime I take it out of my pocket. So something like "if coming out of pocket AND last notification less than N seconds ago -> turn on screen".

sounds like a great feature!

Quote:

let me know if you need me to test something!

keep up the good work!

MJFox
The Following User Says Thank You to MJFox78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MJFox78 Ad-Free
23rd April 2015, 07:08 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1,369

More
Linked here from the OP's comment in the ACDisplay xda portal article. Looking very nice so far. Only feature I miss from ACDisplay is the active mode, i.e. screen on when removed from pocket, regardless of notification. This is a great way to keep power button use down, especially for devices like the N5 with known hardware button failures.
23rd April 2015, 07:10 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 247

More
Quote:

Yes, been using that one (and others) as well, but I always wondered why everybody wants to reinvent the lockscreen. I'm using a pattern lock and found none of the existing solutions to work well.

+1 for this idea:thumbup:

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app
23rd April 2015, 07:53 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
The Internet

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_smurfo

Linked here from the OP's comment in the ACDisplay xda portal article. Looking very nice so far. Only feature I miss from ACDisplay is the active mode, i.e. screen on when removed from pocket, regardless of notification. This is a great way to keep power button use down, especially for devices like the N5 with known hardware button failures.

Yeah I already assumed people will want that and I'm planning to cover this use case as well. Personally, when I had apps working like that in the past I found it a bit annoying that everytime I took out the phone to put it like on the table it turned on (even if there were pending notifications). That's why I thought about how I could narrow down the logic to be more useful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xrad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xrad Ad-Free
23rd April 2015, 09:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1,369

More
Quote:

Yeah I already assumed people will want that and I'm planning to cover this use case as well. Personally, when I had apps working like that in the past I found it a bit annoying that everytime I took out the phone to put it like on the table it turned on (even if there were pending notifications). That's why I thought about how I could narrow down the logic to be more useful.

Just make it a setting. Some people like it, some don't.
23rd April 2015, 09:43 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
The Internet

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFox78

yes, I covered the proximity sensor and sent the test notification and the screen turned on
I tried a different app that does basically the same like yours and it has the same problem, so maybe it's something related to Samsung?

A quick web search showed some reports that sounded a bit like what you're experiencing. So it could be a Samsung thing.
23rd April 2015, 10:03 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 355

More
Quote:

Download now and enoy:
Google Play Store

Can you please provide the APK for those who doesn't have Play Store installed?
I would like to try your app on a Moto G 2013 running Cyanogenmod 12.1 (that doesn't have Ambient display enabled ).

Thanks in advance

-Sent from my Nokia 3320
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)