[APP] Glimpse Notifications

Search This thread

MJFox78

Jul 18, 2013
Vienna
Sorry guys, something must have badly gone wrong with this release. Try to turn off reactivate unpocket > unpocket > pocket in that order until you reach a state when it works. Hold on tight, I at it.
don't worry, with all the updates lately bugs can happen, there's no need to be sorry!

thanks for your support and keep up the great work!

Reactions: xrad

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Bugfix release is on its way.

As a general remark: be careful with the "repocket" mode. I really like it, but I guess one must really understand what it's for, otherwise it could lead to wrong conclusions. So when you turn off the screen (or the normal screen timeout happens), GN will detect that and start watching out for a pocketing event, ie. the proximity sensor being covered. That waiting period is now configurable as per the next update. Now, what this means is that if your phone is lying face up(!) on the table, you get notifications and don't react on them, the screen will go off and the phone awaits repocketing. If you then like wave your hand over the proximity sensor, GN will detect pocketing (sensor covered) and go to unpocket mode. Once your waving is done, the sensor is free again and GN will detect unpocketing. I call this mode Obiwan mode for myself, because it feels like you're Jedi. If you find that confusing, don't use that mode.

And yes I know, we could do lots of cool things with the gyro, but for now I like it to be as it is. I'm open to suggestions though as always. And perhaps a new timeout here and there could do wonders. Let me know how the new version works for you.

MJFox78

Jul 18, 2013
Vienna
thanks for the update, but I still have the problem with the latest version: as soon as a notification arrives the screen goes on and after a few seconds off just to turn on immediately after... and this endlessly

I disabled pocket detection but it doesn't make a difference

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
thanks for the update, but I still have the problem with the latest version: as soon as a notification arrives the screen goes on and after a few seconds off just to turn on immediately after... and this endlessly
What kind of notification is this? What app? Would you be willing to do some debugging if I gave you a version with logging enabled?

MJFox78

Jul 18, 2013
Vienna
I tested it with an email notification, a whatsapp notification and also with the test notification... it doesn't make a difference, it seems to happen with every kind of notification

of course I'm willing to do some debugging, let me know how I can help!

Smurfy82

Mar 8, 2015
Just updated to 1.3.1

Activated test notification, switched display off, covered sensor, waiting 7 seconds, uncovered sensor, display on :)

Activated test notification, switched display off, and... ? Nothing! Display didn't turn on :(

Played with the options, nothing... What's wrong? :confused:

In 1.2 it works, now not really...

Sensor covered, notification arrives, uncovering: Display on
Sensor covered, notification arrives, no uncovering: Display stays off
Sensor uncovered, notification arrives: Display on

Can't get it working, back to 1.2

Last edited:

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Just updated to 1.3.1
Activated test notification, switched display off, covered sensor, waiting 7 seconds, uncovered sensor, display on :)
Activated test notification, switched display off, and... ? Nothing! Display didn't turn on :(
Strange.

Sounds right to me?!

Anyway, I just PMed you.

Smurfy82

Mar 8, 2015
Forgot a sentence, :eek:

This should be the way i expect it works, but it doesn't :confused:

oscarlamyf

Jan 25, 2015
At first, I thought it means I need to cover the proximity sensor for long enough to make GN recognize it as pocketed. After I read the posts above I know it is not.

Is it possible to include this feature: GN only starts detect unpocketing after the proximity sensor is covered for more than say 10 sec. For waving hand over the proximity sensor, it wont make the screen on. This is useful for me coz I always trigger the unpocketing by accident.

Smurfy82

Mar 8, 2015
Just tested update to 1.3.2 with phone lying on desk, sensor uncoverd.

First E-Mail arrives, Display on.

Later, i switched display manually off after using Facebook and WhatsApp. A few seconds later E-Mail arrives, display didn't get on. :eek:

Going back to 1.2 until it's clear what causes this. :confused:

Maybe i should write how i think this should work:

Notification arrives, display is off, sensor uncoverd => display should light up immediately, unless App is blacklisted/not whitelisted, even display was switched off 5 seconds ago.

Last edited:

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Just tested update to 1.3.2 with phone lying on desk, sensor uncoverd.

First E-Mail arrives, Display on.

Later, i switched display manually off after using Facebook and WhatsApp. A few seconds later E-Mail arrives, display didn't get on. :eek:

Going back to 1.2 until it's clear what causes this. :confused:

Maybe i should write how i think this should work:

Notification arrives, display is off, sensor uncoverd => display should light up immediately, unless App is blacklisted/not whitelisted, even display was switched off 5 seconds ago.
Should be fixed with 1.3.4.

Reactions: eum

eum

Feb 18, 2010
Stuttgart
Hi Thanks for the great effort! Is there any possibility to include an Setting "Light up display only when charger connected". That would be superior. It'll save energy while on the go and makes it comfortable at home when mobile is in docking. :) Thanks anyway.

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Hi Thanks for the great effort! Is there any possibility to include an Setting "Light up display only when charger connected". That would be superior. It'll save energy while on the go and makes it comfortable at home when mobile is in docking. :) Thanks anyway.
I put it on the list. I don't know if and when though.

Smurfy82

Mar 8, 2015
1.3.4 and still not working :eek:

Phone lying on desk, connected to charger. Facebook notify arrived, nothing. Display stays off. Had to swype over sensor to activate the display.

Back to 1.2 again... :eek:

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Phone lying on desk, connected to charger. Facebook notify arrived, nothing. Display stays off. Had to swype over sensor to activate the display.
Maybe you have missed my PM the other day, so I'll ask again: are you up for some debugging? If so, then I'll give you a debug enabled version to trace down the issue.

And one more thing: for self protection GN will NOT react on notifications from the same source that come faster than 3 seconds. So it may depend on how active you are on FB... :)

Smurfy82

Mar 8, 2015
Sorry, didn't received your PM. Private Messaging is enabled :)

Yes, im up for debugging to hunt this bug down :cowboy:

I know, there must be a protection, in this case the phone was sleeping for about over 30 minutes before the FB Notify arrived.

PeQuEsan

Nov 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Google Pixel 3
I just want to be able to turn on the screen by swiping my hand over the proximity sensor whenever there's still a whitelisted app notification pending (viewed or not before). What should I do with the repocketing detection option? I've activated it and set the timeout to 10000000 seconds... It's working as expected, but I don't really know very well why... :p

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
I just want to be able to turn on the screen by swiping my hand over the proximity sensor whenever there's still a whitelisted app notification pending (viewed or not before). What should I do with the repocketing detection option? I've activated it and set the timeout to 10000000 seconds... It's working as expected, but I don't really know very well why... :p
Read this, young Padawan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

~~~~~~ Introduction ~~~~~~

Using Android Lollipop/Marshmallow's lock screen notifications?
    Tired of having to press the power button to see them?
    Want your phone to turn on new notifications, but only when you grab to look at it?
    Want your phone to turn on right when you take it out of your pocket?
    Then this app is for you!
    Introducing the all new efficiency app Glimpse Notifications:

presentation.png

This all new app fills an annoying hole in Android Lollipop's lock screen notification system. It's nice, it's shiny, but you always need to push that damn power button. This app does it for you, and also respects quiet times and whether or not your device is in your pocket.

It also does this:
    • recurring notifications (screen on and/or sound)
    • emulate LED notifications that the system lockscreen no longer shows
    • Double-tap to lock function for lockscreen
    • custom lockscreen display time
    • lockscreen lock-on-cover function

At the same time the app is completely for free and without ads!

~~~~~~ Downloads ~~~~~~

Google Play Store
    Directly download APK

~~~~~~ FAQ ~~~~~~

FAQ (Google Doc)
    Just a general remark: I'm writing this app in my spare time and I'm not making any money with it. Before writing it, I tried numerous alternatives (both free an paid ones) but for one reason or the other, none of them really cut it for me. That includes the ones which were already mentioned here. So I rolled my own app, some people like it, some don't. That's really all there is to it. Use whatever you like, it's always great to have a choice. But let's keep the bad vibes out of this thread.
    Looks interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm an ACDisplay user on an S4 but it doesn't seem to stay active the notification allowed so I'll try this.
    Yes, been using that one (and others) as well, but I always wondered why everybody wants to reinvent the lockscreen. I'm using a pattern lock and found none of the existing solutions to work well.

thanks for this, it works well
    only problem I found is that pocket detection doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S6
    Strange. So, have you observed the screen turning on even if the proximity sensor is covered?

I plan on adding an extension to the pocket mode to cover the following use case: if the phone is pocketet or face down and you hear a notification, you typically take the phone and see what happened. Then I want it to turn on, but not necessarily everytime I take it out of my pocket. So something like "if coming out of pocket AND last notification less than N seconds ago -> turn on screen".

Perhaps we can sort your issues with the sensor out on the way.
    Came here from XDA article. I'm developer of Notific, almost similar but more extended (the re inventing type).

Good luck coping up with the multitude of bugs and non standard sensors of multitude of devices (specially samsung) I know how frustrating it gets sometimes.

You can mail me if you need any pointers :)
    New version is out.

It should fix flickering when the screen is already on (that was an embarrassing regression from 1.0 to 1.1). I'm now also using another method to turn on the screen, so that is now also flicker free. Downside is I now need WAKE_LOCK permission.