What is this?
This is a modded version of the original YouTube app that:
- enables background / screen-off playback
- removes ads (thanks to @arter97)
Requires root (see FAQ)
Q: Did you create this?
This mod is based upon the source code of the following xPosed module:
All credits for the research behind this go to the authors of the module.
I merely "ported" it to the original YouTube APK for all the people that don't have xPosed
Q: Why does this exist?
A: Because not everyone has xPosed, especially now that Nougat is starting to spread to more and more devices
Q: Why does this require root?
A: because YouTube, like many Google Apps, has a dedicated signature check that won't let this app run when installed as a user app. It needs to be installed in the system partition, which requires root
Q: Does this mod also remove ads from YT?
A: I use arter97's adblocked YT apks as the base for this, so yes!
Q: Will you add Video Downloads / Feature X, Y, Z, etc. ?
Q: Will you keep this up to date?
A: Probably not. I will update it when YT adds some new feature that I'm interested in, or if the old apk stops working
YOU WILL NEED ROOT FOR THIS!
First step: UNINSTALL EXISTING YOUTUBE if you have it. Recommend using one of the many system apps Uninstallers that you can find on the play store, or a file manager that can delete from /system/app
Using your phone:
Download the APK for your cpu architecture
Use a file manager to place the APK in an empty folder, so it contains only the APK
Use a file manager that can write to /system (i.e: has root support) to copy the folder that contains the APK to /system/app
Use the same file manager to set permission 755 on the folder that contains the APK and permission 644 to the APK file itself
Download the correct version for your CPU architectureUsing Magisk:
Enable ADB debug on your device and connect your phone via usb
Open a terminal in the directory where you downloaded the modded iYTBP apk and issue the following commands:
enjoy!Code:adb root adb remount adb push iytbp-12.05.53_arm64.apk /system/app adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/iytbp-12.05.53_arm64.apk adb reboot
Download the Magisk module for your CPU versionOFFICIAL DOWNLOADS
Do whatever you have to do to enable it (I don't use magisk so I don't know how it works )
12.17.54, APK version BACKGROUND PLAYBACK + ADBLOCKED
Thanks to @arter97 for the adblocked YT apks!
FOR DEVICES RUNNING ANDROID 5.0 (Lollipop, API 21) OR NEWER:
- For arm64 cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754340_minAPI21(arm64-v8a)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
- For arm cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754330_minAPI21(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
- For x86 cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754370_minAPI21(x86)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
- For x86_64 cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754380_minAPI21(x86_64)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
FOR DEVICES RUNNING ANDROID 4.1 (JB API 16) up to 4.4 (KitKat, API 20):
- For arm64 cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754240_minAPI16(arm64-v8a)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
- For arm cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754230_minAPI16(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
- For x86 cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754270_minAPI16(x86)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
- For x86_64 cpus: iYTBP_12.17.54-121754280_minAPI16(x86_64)(nodpi)-adaway.apk
These alternative versions/mirrors have been kindly provided by other contributors. Install at your own risk, I decline any responsibility on these files and can't offer you support for them!
Updated versions with more variants - ported by @ZaneZam
See post #2
Magisk Module versions by @Anova's Origin
See post #3