FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][4.1+] Kiwi Browser🐦 Chromium + Adblock + CAF + Night Mode 2019-06-28|Active

427 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,358

By arnaud42, Senior Member on 30th May 2018, 08:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd May 2019, 05:21 AM |#2281  
Thanks Meter: 1,772

More
Hey @arnaud42, is there any evolution about the 64bit version of this browser? I only saw you mention it here once or twice, and nothing more.
The Following User Says Thank You to abacate123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abacate123 Ad-Free

2nd May 2019, 06:22 AM |#2282  
Flag Bhubaneswar
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giocarro

I don't see any text reflow when zooming with Samsung Internet Browser.
Is it a feature that must be enabled manually somewhere?

I was mistaken. My apologies.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmadraxxx

Oh yes. I agree it should be an option. All such features should be optional.

As regards its foibles and imperfections, Text-Reflow [a la Yandex] isn't perfect. Page layout tends to jump around a bit as the text scales up and other page elements have to move out of the way. And, of course it will cause problems with things like code blocks.

But, at the end of the day, even with these shortcomings, it's still 100% improvement on having to do the infuriating back and forth horizontal scroll for each line –and infinitely better than not being able to read the text at all!

Incidentally, while on the subject of Yandex, another suggestion occurred to me:

The dev might want to look at Yandex's implementation of what in Kiwi's prefs is called "Simplified view for web pages"

The way Kiwi does it is quite intrusive; popping up an alert saying "Show simplified view" at the bottom of every page where it's available....

Yandex just puts a wee document type icon in the URL bar when the simplified view is available....

I ended up turning the option off in Kiwi's prefs coz it got kind of annoying having that alert pop up all the time –I only tend to use the simplified view if a page is particularly badly laid out. Most of the time Text-Reflow [Yep! I'm beating that drum again!] suffices to solve any readability issues. The Yandex way is less intrusive. The 'readability' facility is there if you want it, but it doesn't bug you.

+1 to both suggestions. Should highly improve the usability.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amn1987 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amn1987 Ad-Free
2nd May 2019, 12:32 PM |#2283  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I too have to reload extensions often. Usually when kiwi has stayed in the background for a bit, so maybe it's a ram thing.
2nd May 2019, 12:33 PM |#2284  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindtrappergr

I too have to reload extensions often. Usually when kiwi has stayed in the background for a bit, so maybe it's a ram thing.

I'm desperately trying to reproduce it, once I catch it I will fix
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arnaud42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arnaud42 Ad-Free
2nd May 2019, 12:48 PM |#2285  
EU
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud42

I'm desperately trying to reproduce it, once I catch it I will fix

What can we expect in new version? Thank you!
2nd May 2019, 04:32 PM |#2286  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacate123

Hey @arnaud42, is there any evolution about the 64bit version of this browser? I only saw you mention it here once or twice, and nothing more.

Yep, today is the first fully functional version:
https://storage.googleapis.com/kbdev...0502153013.apk
(dev release)

The dev versions will all become 64-bits in June 2019.
The official release for stable on the Play Store is in July 2019.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to arnaud42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arnaud42 Ad-Free
2nd May 2019, 06:58 PM |#2287  
Thanks Meter: 598

More
Quote:

(dev release)

I saw that it is not possible to install this dev version over the stable one. It would be nice if you either use the same signature in both (I believe that is the reason for the installation to fail but maybe it's the change in the arch libs) or use different package names (as there is Chrome Beta, Chrome Canary...).
Thank you!
2nd May 2019, 07:23 PM |#2288  

More
Quote:

(dev release)

Thanks, the app is way more fluid! Where will you push/send these dev builds (so that I can get further updates)? A different app through the Play Store?

Also it'd be interesting if you put somewhere in the app that it's a dev build, or something to look different than the standard one.
2nd May 2019, 08:19 PM |#2289  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
really great update today dev version just a very sad thing enabling diamond black in setting and disabling night mode makes the new tab page white, shouldn't it stay back?
thanks
2nd May 2019, 09:01 PM |#2290  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacate123

Where will you push/send these dev builds (so that I can get further updates)?

Read the first post!!

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale82to

really great update today dev version just a very sad thing enabling diamond black in setting and disabling night mode makes the new tab page white, shouldn't it stay back?
thanks

diamond black only affects to the ui, now users that have "dark reader" or similar extensions, won't be affected, because inbuilt night mode caused changes in colors in the websites.

Good point, I don't use extensions for "dark mode" but I guess home page would be white all the time
The Following User Says Thank You to protheusDK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift protheusDK Ad-Free
2nd May 2019, 09:05 PM |#2291  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by protheusDK

Read the first post!!

My mother once told me "if you don't know what you're talking about, just don't say anything to don't look dumb". Then yours should've taught you this lesson as well.

If you read my message carefully, and also the developer one before mine, you'll see that I'm talking about the ARM64 build aka Dev version, which's not something yet official or being mentioned in the first/second post. So please, you can either help or you leave the developer to answer. Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)