FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][7.0+][ARM64/ARM32/x86/x86_64] Live Earth Wallpapers from the Pixel (UPD 3/3/17)

6,924 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,884

Post Reply Email Thread
This is a backport of the Live Earth wallpapers from the Pixel devices/Android 7.1 to 7.0. It crashes on 6.0, so don't even ask for anything lower than 7.0

I backported this by doing the following:
- Decompile the app
- Copy the resources/manifest to a new Android Studio product with the same package name, but with minsdk 24
- Build project and fix errors with AppCompat/Re-import AppCompat to keep compatibility
- Copy classes.dex, assets and com from the original APK to the new APK
- Remove META-INF and re-sign with own signature

This worked.

However, it still crashed on my 5X due to lack of library files. So I went back into the system dump, and found them (in the lib64 folder, the priv-app/WallpapersBReel/libs folder contained symlinks). Copied them into the lib/arm64-v8a folder of the APK for easy install and now it works fine.

Live wallpaper locations included in this app:
- Arches National Park, Moab, Utah
- Garden, Kent, United Kingdom
- Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, CA
- Pantheon, Rome, Italy
- Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
- Whitehaven Beach, Queensland, Australia
- Horizon
- Your world, Solar System, which centres on your current location and shows the correct lighting for the current time

Screenshots don't really do these wallpapers justice, but here's a gallery if you can't watch a video

Screenshot of the most impressive in my opinion, the globe which always centres your position and reacts to light:

(Examples of night [UK] and day [Mountain View, CA]. Full size images in gallery above)

Strangely, B-Reel (who made these wallpapers with Google) did have a page showcasing them, but it now 404s. Thankfully, the Google Cache for it still works and I took a screenshot of the whole page so it's never lost, which can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/Ez8Y5cX.jpg

Video including setting, swiping and screen unlock animations for each: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZsLqozdHA

The APK is a massive 80.6MB, 90MB when installed. This is because it contains a load of models for the areas:

Download for ARM64 devices
Download for ARM 32 bit devices (YOUR WORLD, SOLAR SYSTEM IS NOW WORKING)
(If you are having trouble with this APK and your wallpaper is too dark, try this port)
Download for x86 32 bit devices
Download for x86 64 bit devices

Note that it will ONLY work on Android 7.0+. There is an experimental Android 6.0 port here, but it's ARM64 only

FAQ
- ARM32 (more commonly known as just "ARM") live earth when?
ARM32 support is now available, as the SDK images are now available
When either an official beta of 7.1.1 comes out for the Nexus 6 WITH THE LIBS INCLUDED or an ARM system image for the AVD with Android 7.1.1 and the libs
- Why does the earth on my wallpaper look smaller/bigger than the one in the screenshots?
It changes throughout the day and night. Use the phone for a few hours and it will change for you
- Why is my location wrong on the map even when I've given the location permission?
No idea. This has happened to a few people, some are saying that changing your device's language changes the location also, others not. It might be a bug, which I'm not responsible for.

A note about signatures, trojans and decompilation after the arguments with the Google Camera port:
This APK is signed with my personal signature, and only mine. I personally decompiled the APK pulled straight from the system dump, did the steps above in a properly set up Android Studio install and rebuilt it, copying the original files and libs. It's had no contact with any tools other than APKtool, Android Studio, and jarsigner. It's also impossible to keep the original Google signature due to the nature of backporting. Whilst it turned out that the Google Camera wasn't in fact infected, but had shared a signature from a popular signing tool with a piece of actual malware (which triggered the checkers), I try to be as careful as possible with sources and I can assure you that this APK is clean.
The Following 200 Users Say Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Quinny899 Ad-Free

15th October 2016, 10:57 PM |#2  
Flag Chernihiv
Thanks Meter: 1,433

More
Will it ever be possible to get 32bit version of it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrBIMC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrBIMC Ad-Free
15th October 2016, 11:08 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Ormskirk, Lancashire, UK
Thanks Meter: 4,884

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBIMC

Will it ever be possible to get 32bit version of it?

Yes, but we'd need a single .so file we don't have: libgeswallpapers_jni.so
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Quinny899 Ad-Free
15th October 2016, 11:35 PM |#4  
Flag Chernihiv
Thanks Meter: 1,433

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

Yes, but we'd need a single .so file we don't have: libgeswallpapers_jni.so

Yeah, I already found out. So, if google will not release it (I'm pretty sure they won't), then we need someone with IDA pro and decent knowledge of reverse engineering to get this working. I hope someone will do this.
16th October 2016, 12:56 AM |#5  
Flag Munich | Augsburg
Thanks Meter: 2,030

Donate to Me
More
Wow Thanks a Lot. Have been waited for this
16th October 2016, 01:56 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
any possible eta for MM maybe in the future?
16th October 2016, 03:17 AM |#7  
Moorpark
Thanks Meter: 391

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

This is a backport of the Live Earth wallpapers from the Pixel devices/Android 7.1 to 7.0. It crashes on 6.0, so don't even ask for anything lower than 7.0

OnePlus 3 user here. I couldn't get this to work, force closes whenever I select the live wallpaper.

Just an overview of my device configuration: OnePlus 3 is 64 bits. I'm running an unofficial build of Nougat on my device. I've modified my build.prop so Google Assistant would work along with installing Pixel launcher, Pixel Wallpaper chooser, Gradient live wallpaper, and Pixel stock wallpaper. All of the APKs (including this one) are at /system/priv-app with rw-r-r permissions. Any suggestions? Attached a logcat in case that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161015-193128.png
Views:	8036
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	3905013  
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2016-10-15-19-11-54.zip - [Click for QR Code] (99.6 KB, 2678 views)
16th October 2016, 04:20 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
how to change apk icon on pixel launcher
16th October 2016, 05:00 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Great work! If anyone figures out how to get it onto Android 6 please message me. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
16th October 2016, 05:19 AM |#10  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 206

More
Install on Nexus 5x
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161016-121242.jpg
Views:	6836
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	3905046  
The Following User Says Thank You to iamaniff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iamaniff Ad-Free
16th October 2016, 08:46 AM |#11  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 40

More
@Quinny899 Thank you so much for all your efforts. Works great on my 5x. Wish 7.1 has this app in built. So that ones with arm can also have a taste of it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 7.1, earth, live, pixel, wallpapers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)