I backported this by doing the following:
- Decompile the app
- Copy the resources/manifest to a new Android Studio product with the same package name, but with minsdk 24
- Build project and fix errors with AppCompat/Re-import AppCompat to keep compatibility
- Copy classes.dex, assets and com from the original APK to the new APK
- Remove META-INF and re-sign with own signature
However, it still crashed on my 5X due to lack of library files. So I went back into the system dump, and found them (in the lib64 folder, the priv-app/WallpapersBReel/libs folder contained symlinks). Copied them into the lib/arm64-v8a folder of the APK for easy install and now it works fine.
Live wallpaper locations included in this app:
- Arches National Park, Moab, Utah
- Garden, Kent, United Kingdom
- Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, CA
- Pantheon, Rome, Italy
- Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
- Whitehaven Beach, Queensland, Australia
- Your world, Solar System, which centres on your current location and shows the correct lighting for the current time
Screenshots don't really do these wallpapers justice, but here's a gallery if you can't watch a video
Screenshot of the most impressive in my opinion, the globe which always centres your position and reacts to light:
(Examples of night [UK] and day [Mountain View, CA]. Full size images in gallery above)
Strangely, B-Reel (who made these wallpapers with Google) did have a page showcasing them, but it now 404s. Thankfully, the Google Cache for it still works and I took a screenshot of the whole page so it's never lost, which can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/Ez8Y5cX.jpg
Video including setting, swiping and screen unlock animations for each: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZsLqozdHA
The APK is a massive 80.6MB, 90MB when installed. This is because it contains a load of models for the areas:
Download for ARM64 devices
Download for ARM 32 bit devices (YOUR WORLD, SOLAR SYSTEM IS NOW WORKING)
(If you are having trouble with this APK and your wallpaper is too dark, try this port)
Download for x86 32 bit devices
Download for x86 64 bit devices
Note that it will ONLY work on Android 7.0+. There is an experimental Android 6.0 port here, but it's ARM64 only
- ARM32 (more commonly known as just "ARM") live earth when?
ARM32 support is now available, as the SDK images are now available
- Why does the earth on my wallpaper look smaller/bigger than the one in the screenshots?
It changes throughout the day and night. Use the phone for a few hours and it will change for you
- Why is my location wrong on the map even when I've given the location permission?
No idea. This has happened to a few people, some are saying that changing your device's language changes the location also, others not. It might be a bug, which I'm not responsible for.
A note about signatures, trojans and decompilation after the arguments with the Google Camera port:
This APK is signed with my personal signature, and only mine. I personally decompiled the APK pulled straight from the system dump, did the steps above in a properly set up Android Studio install and rebuilt it, copying the original files and libs. It's had no contact with any tools other than APKtool, Android Studio, and jarsigner. It's also impossible to keep the original Google signature due to the nature of backporting. Whilst it turned out that the Google Camera wasn't in fact infected, but had shared a signature from a popular signing tool with a piece of actual malware (which triggered the checkers), I try to be as careful as possible with sources and I can assure you that this APK is clean.