FORUMS

[APP][5.0] β-Maniac -- Life of a beta tester

1,638 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,953

By Mirko ddd, Inactive Recognized Developer on 26th January 2020, 03:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Mirko ddd: Life of a beta tester
This app is only for those who attend the world of beta testing.

The Google Play app allows us to manage our beta programs but have you ever wanted to participate in a limited number beta program?

(The most common examples are WhatsApp and LinkedIn, at least for my country, Italy)

Every time you have to go to Google Play and see if you can access the beta program.

A few years ago (even before the Google Play app had a section dedicated to the quick view of our beta programs in which we participate) I had developed an app, for private use, to overcome this problem, and after adding some small personalization and option I would also like to make it available to this community, free from advertising and in-app purchases.

In the future it will be available on Google Play, but there will be at least some advertisements.

At the moment the app is available in Italian and English, but if you want to participate in the translation you can download the xml file at the second post.

Let me know your opinions.

XDA:DevDB Information
Beta Maniac, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Mirko ddd

Version Information

Created 2020-01-26
Last Updated 2020-01-26
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2020-01-26-153023.png
Views:	4536
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	4935849   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2020-01-26-153054.png
Views:	4532
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	4935851   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2020-01-26-153110.png
Views:	4518
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	4935853   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2020-01-26-153128.png
Views:	4068
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	4935855   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2020-01-26-153148.png
Views:	3954
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	4935857  
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to Mirko ddd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mirko ddd Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 03:12 PM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Piazza Armerina

Donate to Me
More
Downloads
- strings.xml for people interested on translation help

- beta-maniac.apk (initial release)
- beta-maniac-2.apk (update)
- beta-maniac-3.apk (added French translation, thanks to @~El Julio~)
- beta-maniac-4.apk (added French translation, thanks to @~El Julio~, fixed)
- beta-maniac-5.apk (added Portoguese translation, thanks to @caravana and fixed force close on devices with lot of apps)
- beta-maniac-6.apk (fixed French typo, added Spanish translation, thanks to @Soymicmic and fixed force close on lollipop and marshmamallow, and tried to bypass vpn (need feedbacks))
- beta-maniac-7.apk (bugfixes)
- beta-maniac-8.apk (bugfixes)
- beta-maniac-9.apk (added in the app list Google Play services app too.)
- beta-maniac-10.apk (added Czech translation thanks to Roman Praslička, fixed pre Oreo theme change freeze)
- beta-maniac-11.apk (removed SSL checks, should completely fix the VPN issues, feedback is appreciated)
- beta-maniac-12.apk (added partial Arab translation, thanks to @Fishawy)
- beta-maniac-13.apk (fixed messy RTL layouts)
- beta-maniac-14.apk (added System theme[requires android 10], minor UI changes[can you find it?], added mentions to people who helped in translations)
- beta-maniac-15.apk (show one plus icon packs in the list, bottom action bar hides on scroll, icon animation in FAB)
- beta-maniac-16.apk (Edge to edge rendering[requires Android Pie], auto scan can be performed on mobile data too[toggleable in settings] as @1nikolas suggested)
- beta-maniac-17.apk (Launcher apps are now included in the list as @tryfe suggested with @jslawler help)
Attached Files
File Type: xml strings.xml - [Click for QR Code] (4.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: apk beta-maniac-17.apk - [Click for QR Code] (3.38 MB, 166 views)
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Mirko ddd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mirko ddd Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 03:12 PM |#3  
Flag Piazza Armerina

Donate to Me
More
FAQ and Privacy
FAQ
Q- Why cannot signin even if my connection is good?
A- Check out if you are on a VPN or custom DNS network. If so disable it and login.

Q- Why there is no auto sign-in or Google sign-in?
A- Currently you are not signin-in to Beta Maniac, you are signin-in to Google, and the eventual token you get using those facilities is not spendible in Google Play. What the app does is the same thing you would do manually, no API used.

and as @mbc07 has experienced:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc07

For people having issues with ad blockers: it looks like you'll have trouble only when using DNS-based ad blocking. I personally use AdGuard on my device, which by default uses a VPN with a custom DNS to filter the ads. I normally leave the DNS-based filtering disabled since it sometimes breaks some sites and in fact, by using only the VPN-based filtering I didn't experience any login issues on Beta-Maniac, even with AdGuard active...

Privacy
User privacy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirko ddd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mirko ddd Ad-Free
27th January 2020, 02:25 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Awesome Work
Thanks Mirko for your amazing app!
I've just tried and I love the background process to find out if a beta version is available.
The Following User Says Thank You to fulvius31 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fulvius31 Ad-Free
28th January 2020, 11:22 AM |#5  
Flag Piazza Armerina

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvius31

Thanks Mirko for your amazing app!
I've just tried and I love the background process to find out if a beta version is available.

thank you fulvius
28th January 2020, 03:58 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Nice,cool. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to danilo_scala For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danilo_scala Ad-Free
28th January 2020, 04:01 PM |#7  
Flag Piazza Armerina

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilo_scala

Nice,cool. thanks

Thank you Danilo, for any problems or question refer to third post or share with us your experience.
28th January 2020, 04:28 PM |#8  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko ddd

- strings.xml for people interested on translation help

- beta-maniac.apk for installing
- beta-maniac-2.apk for installing (update)

If not already contributed, here's the french translated strings file.
Attached Files
File Type: xml strings.xml - [Click for QR Code] (5.1 KB, 32 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ~El Julio~ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ~El Julio~ Ad-Free
28th January 2020, 04:33 PM |#9  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
If I may report that small issue :

Despite using XDA adfree version of your very welcomed app, I noticed it couldn't get past the post log-in screen (got No connection / Try again - with no avail') if device is connected with ad-blocking private DNS on Android 9+) or to a router set with ad-blocking DNS.

No biggy but took quite some time to figure out the reason.

You might want to change that or add a message to let users know their ad-blocker prevents the app from going further.

After initial set up though, it's working fine with or without DNS ad-blocking.

VPN usage was not an issue for me, only DNS level ad-blocking.

(Tested with v1)
The Following User Says Thank You to ~El Julio~ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ~El Julio~ Ad-Free
28th January 2020, 04:34 PM |#10  
Flag Piazza Armerina

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~El Julio~

If not already contributed, here's the french translated strings file.

Wow nice! I added a new string (forgot to upload newer one). Could you translate it on the fly?

Quote:

No connection, if you are using a VPN or a custom DNS you will not be able to login. Disable it and try again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirko ddd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mirko ddd Ad-Free
28th January 2020, 04:36 PM |#11  
Flag Piazza Armerina

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~El Julio~

If I may report that small issue :

Despite using XDA adfree version of your very welcomed app, I noticed it couldn't get past the post log-in screen (got No connection / Try again - with no avail') if device is connected with ad-blocking private DNS on Android 9+) or to a router set with ad-blocking DNS.

No biggy but took quite some time to figure out the reason.

You might want to change that or add a message to let users know their ad-blocker prevents the app from going further.

After initial set up though, it's working fine with or without DNS ad-blocking.

VPN usage was not an issue for me, only DNS level ad-blocking.

(Tested with v1)

check out third post, is explained
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)