FORUMS

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

394 Vote(s)
31.42%
Saving battery

274 Vote(s)
21.85%
Increasing privacy

641 Vote(s)
51.12%
Blocking ads

818 Vote(s)
65.23%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

22,564 posts
Thanks Meter: 48,147

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th August 2019, 09:34 PM |#10001  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolko

Hi,

After updating to Netguard 2.261 apps with blocked internet access were not able to reach resources in the local network anymore, so I downgraded to get it working again and stopped updates for the moment. Has this by chance already been fixed in a newer version? I operate Netguard on an Android 8.1 phone.

Thanks in advance!

I am not aware of such a (new) problem.

You can try to enable lan access in the network settings.

I will need more details to look into this.
30th August 2019, 10:45 PM |#10002  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What kind of details do you need? I blocked internet access via WLAN for these apps, because I do not want them to phone home, but I enabled subnet routing and LAN access, because they shall be able to reach services within my LAN. Up to Netguard 2.260 this worked out perfectly for me. Could the problem be linked to the change in 2.261 allowing LAN access for apps with enabled internet access via WLAN?
31st August 2019, 01:23 AM |#10003  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Forgive me for being slow... this is just how I am.
How did you block access to part of the network while allowing other parts?
I understand "WLAN" to imply Metered network(s) and "LAN" to mean Un-metered networks. Whenever I try to control which route, WLAN or LAN, all I can do is put the phone in Airplane before unlocking anything or the app will use Metered just like it uses Un-metered. There's nothing that says "use WiFi for this URL but don't use cell data for the same URL".
31st August 2019, 04:32 AM |#10004  

More
Hi, I wonder what this HOPO6 address is and why is blocked? I can't select it to unblock or anything...

31st August 2019, 05:38 AM |#10005  
Flag Lucknow
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Please reduce Background processes of App and make it more lightweight. Also if possible only a single service running to restrict Apps
31st August 2019, 06:28 AM |#10006  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolko

What kind of details do you need? I blocked internet access via WLAN for these apps, because I do not want them to phone home, but I enabled subnet routing and LAN access, because they shall be able to reach services within my LAN. Up to Netguard 2.260 this worked out perfectly for me. Could the problem be linked to the change in 2.261 allowing LAN access for apps with enabled internet access via WLAN?

I don't think this change will cause this problem. I will double check things later this weekend.
31st August 2019, 06:30 AM |#10007  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikearat

Forgive me for being slow... this is just how I am.
How did you block access to part of the network while allowing other parts?
I understand "WLAN" to imply Metered network(s) and "LAN" to mean Un-metered networks. Whenever I try to control which route, WLAN or LAN, all I can do is put the phone in Airplane before unlocking anything or the app will use Metered just like it uses Un-metered. There's nothing that says "use WiFi for this URL but don't use cell data for the same URL".

There is a network setting to allow LAN traffic, which is not equal to WiFi traffic.
31st August 2019, 06:30 AM |#10008  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechell

Hi, I wonder what this HOPO6 address is and why is blocked? I can't select it to unblock or anything...

Please see the FAQ about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2019, 06:31 AM |#10009  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible-Venom

Please reduce Background processes of App and make it more lightweight. Also if possible only a single service running to restrict Apps

There is just one single service filtering the internet traffic.
31st August 2019, 09:13 AM |#10010  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I don't think this change will cause this problem. I will double check things later this weekend.

Thanks! I appreciate this!
31st August 2019, 10:54 AM |#10011  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw190

Just before you close the show I have a nasty edge case. I'm very pleased with the pro version, all is working well but there is a strange situation with the DNS settings. In NetGuard you can set the DNS which I did to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. It works smooth as silk for cellular but when I connect to home Wi-Fi the DNS is forced to the providers DNS which I have spotted on dnsleaktest.com . Here comes the tricky part. In Android 9 there is an option to set up private dns in the settings. When I turn off NetGuard and turn it on and use 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com it works both for cellular and my quirky home Wi-Fi. This is strange. Any hints why is that, and can something be done with NetGuard to act just like the stock Android setting and cover both the cellular and Wi-Fi?

As I told you I changed the DNS servers and tried again.
It's the opposite in my case: at home with my WIFI connection it shows correctly the DNS I changed in Netguard, but if I turn off WIFI and use only 4g then the DNS,s of the Mobile company are shown.
But I found the solution: Enabling Traffic filter and Filter UDP traffic (with the DNS daemon allowed too).
Try with your DNS servers and let me know if it works.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)