FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

324 Vote(s)
31.21%
Saving battery

226 Vote(s)
21.77%
Increasing privacy

499 Vote(s)
48.07%
Blocking ads

685 Vote(s)
65.99%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

17,179 posts
Thanks Meter: 35,279

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2016, 06:48 PM |#1021  
Thanks Meter: 518

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaMocha

Running 0.78 (sorry, I mistakenly said "0.77-8" at first). Now my email client can't send email with NetGuard enabled. It's throwing "connection reset by peer" errors. Disable NG, works immediately.

Filter and Block domains is on? Try to disable block domains, I've had a device blocked all day because of this. ( Journal is always empty yay )

27th January 2016, 07:07 PM |#1022  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon_Kter

Filter and Block domains is on? Try to disable block domains, I've had a device blocked all day because of this. ( Journal is always empty yay )

Now I can't reproduce it at all. So who the hell knows what the problem was. I think I woke up in the wrong universe this morning. Thanks anyway.
27th January 2016, 07:24 PM |#1023  
Thanks Meter: 518

More
Quote:

Now I can't reproduce it at all. So who the hell knows what the problem was. I think I woke up in the wrong universe this morning. Thanks anyway.

I know, I got some flack from the device user , I'll get the log off that device and maybe there's something useful in there.

Reported here: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/issues/255
27th January 2016, 11:45 PM |#1024  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Still running 0.78. I can't say for sure that NG is to blame, but sometimes downloads--even from reliable sources like the Play Store--are phenomenally slow. This never happened before to me with this device, and when I disabled NG and retried, it worked fine. This has happened about 10 times though over the past several days and I think it's NG. I'm sorry I can't provide gory details but I simply cannot root my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Fury

HAIKU
Have you?
Because you keep posting.
Still waiting.

I'm replying here so four dozen people don't get yet another stupid reply notification. Yes, I have unsubscribed. Yes, I have posted a couple times since. When I have something to report with respect to NetGuard, I post. This has nothing to do with being subscribed to the forum thread, and I have no idea why you think it does. This is the last time I will respond to nonsense from you.
28th January 2016, 04:00 AM |#1025  
Sim City
Thanks Meter: 1,437

More
Quote:

I'm unsubscribing from this thread for now because I don't need nonsensical new post notifications.

HAIKU
Have you?
Because you keep posting.
Still waiting.
28th January 2016, 06:51 AM |#1026  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Pings are still blocked.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread for now because I don't need nonsensical new post notifications.

Yes, the issue is still open: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/issues/252

Note that this is not a trivial fix and that this has not a very high priority ATM.
28th January 2016, 06:56 AM |#1027  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbv2005

One minor minor remark. Settings is saying IPv4 in front of the ip v6 address.

Fixed by changing one letter in the source code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbv2005

Another question. The new drop down for the apps is showing the IP addresses / the domains the app is connecting to but not the ones which are filtered trough the host file (as they appear with source root in the log). Correct? So that would mean later on no host file is needed and you can decide yourself which ip's / domains you want to have blocked on an per app basis? Sounds perfect.! It would be nice if you could add the WhoIs query as well on the drop downs.

The is not an one-to-one relation to a domain name and an IP address. A domain name may translate to several IP addresses and to make things more complicated, this may depend on the time of the day, the network you are connected to and the part of the world you are. This means that domain blocking will stay to block ads and that I have to do some clever things to get IP filtering working.
28th January 2016, 06:56 AM |#1028  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Running 0.78 (sorry, I mistakenly said "0.77-8" at first). Now my email client can't send email with NetGuard enabled. It's throwing "connection reset by peer" errors. Disable NG, works immediately.

This is too little information to work with, sorry.
28th January 2016, 06:58 AM |#1029  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon_Kter

There is some logic wrong in beta 7, but instead of fixing it, I will rewrite it, also to make the foundation for IP filtering, so have a little patience.
28th January 2016, 07:03 AM |#1030  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Still running 0.78. I can't say for sure that NG is to blame, but sometimes downloads--even from reliable sources like the Play Store--are phenomenally slow. This never happened before to me with this device, and when I disabled NG and retried, it worked fine. This has happened about 10 times though over the past several days and I think it's NG. I'm sorry I can't provide gory details but I simply cannot root my phone.

What I need to look into this is a PCAP file. You can even look into this yourself: download and install wireshark and open a PCAP file. Maybe you learn even a few things about how TCP/IP works In fact I like this to be done by as many as possible people to find potential problems in the TCP/IP implementation of NetGuard. Wikipedia has some good information on TCP/IP. A TCP state diagram, for example this one, gives a quick overview of the protocol states.
28th January 2016, 07:42 AM |#1031  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

NetGuard

NetGuard provides a simple way to block access to the internet - no root required.
Applications can individually be allowed or denied access to your WiFi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
  • reduce your data usage
  • save your battery
  • increase your privacy

Features:
  • No root required
  • Simple to use
  • Open source
  • No extra battery usage
  • No bandwidth reduction
  • No calling home
  • No tracking or analytics
  • No ads
  • No internet permission required
  • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
  • Optionally block when roaming
  • Optionally allow when screen on
  • Optionally block system applications
  • Graphical network speed display
  • Material design

There is no other no-root firewall offering all these features. Most other firewall solutions are closed source, will use extra battery and will reduce the overall network speed.

Most of these features are the result of sending selected traffic to a sinkhole, instead of filtering all internet traffic. This means that advanced features, like address based filtering (needed for ad blocking), traffic logging, and on-demand configuration, are not possible. Routing selected traffic into a sinkhole relies on an API introduced in Android 5.0 (Lollipop), therefore older Android versions can unfortunately not be supported.

Since NetGuard has no internet permission, you know your internet traffic is not being sent anywhere.

This XDA thread is for support of the latest version of NetGuard only.

More information on Github:
Downloads:

XDA:DevDB Information
NetGuard, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
M66B
Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 0.75
Stable Release Date: 2016-01-10
Current Beta Version: 0.78
Beta Release Date: 2016-01-27

Created 2015-10-25
Last Updated 2016-01-27

Blocking all on no internet connection
- Added option to disable live updates of the blocked traffic log view
- Optimized performance of blocked traffic logging by using native code
- Small improvements and minor bug fixes
- Updated translations

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Blocking all on no internet connection
- Added option to disable live updates of the blocked traffic log view
- Optimized performance of blocked traffic logging by using native code
- Small improvements and minor bug fixes
- Updated translations
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)