FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

349 Vote(s)
31.24%
Saving battery

245 Vote(s)
21.93%
Increasing privacy

551 Vote(s)
49.33%
Blocking ads

738 Vote(s)
66.07%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

19,417 posts
Thanks Meter: 39,876

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 02:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd November 2019, 10:34 PM |#10471  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackendf

I used the app netguard with Lineage OS15 an it worked quite well. But now i updated to LSOS 16 and i have no internet access any more. If i switch the firewall off i have access to the internet again. Do you know this problem? Where do I have to look to find the problem. Are there new system apps that need internet access?
Thank you in advanced

You should look here:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blo...-content-faq51

This cannot be fixed by NetGuard.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2019, 11:04 PM |#10472  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

You should look here:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blo...-content-faq51

This cannot be fixed by NetGuard.

Hi Marcel
thank you for the quick answer.
It seems to be the Lineage problem:
Some Android versions, including LineageOS for some devices, contain a bug resulting in all internet traffic being blocked. Mostly, you can workaround this bug by enabling filtering in NetGuard's Advanced options. If this doesn't solve the issue, the problem can unfortunately not be fixed or worked around by NetGuard.
What do I have to enable exactly in the filter options?
3rd November 2019, 12:19 AM |#10473  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ines*

The NetMon app seems to just use /proc/net/tcp[6]. That should be reliable. NetGuard also uses this (all before Android Q) to obtain the UID for connections/data traffic which it can only see after the local VPN was started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukval

It's strange if Net Monitor shows connection Established if I have airplane mode enabled.

Hello, is this result relevant? I think the "Established" assignment when Airplane mode is ON!? How is it by technical side?

Sent from my STF-L09 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Try setting two DNS servers in the advanced settings to force Android to route traffic through the VPN. This is a known bug in some Android versions. Note that you need to enter and confirm the two addresses. What is shown in grey are the defaults....

What happens if the second DNS server is not real dns server (spoofed IP address not listening on the 53 port)? So there is only one real dns server?

3rd November 2019, 06:26 AM |#10474  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukval

What happens if the second DNS server is not real dns server (spoofed IP address not listening on the 53 port)? So there is only one real dns server?

You'll see delays in establishing connections. Better use twice the same address.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th November 2019, 09:54 PM |#10475  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Hello, I did some tests with whatsapp messaging.

Test configuration no.1 (mixed connection - mobile & wifi):
- Lockdown traffic ON
- WhatsApp (WA) blocked in Lockdown
- WA allowed ports: 123, 443, 5222
- WA blocked ports: 80
- Google play services (GS) allowed in Lockdown
- GS allowed ports: 443
- GS blocked ports: 5228

When new message is sent to me, WA doesn't show any notification/new message. Message is delivered after WA is allowed in lockdown mode.

Test configuration no.2 (wifi connection - both devices in the same LAN):
- Lockdown traffic ON
- WA blocked in Lockdown
- WA allowed ports: 123, 443
- WA blocked ports: 80, 5222
- GS allowed in Lockdown
- GS allowed ports: 443
- GS blocked ports: 5228

When new message is send to me, WA immediately shows a notification 'Checking for new messages', after some time shows 'You may have new messages' but message isn't delivered until it's allowed in lockdown mode.

Allowing WA communication on port 5222 has no effect.

Test configuration no.3 (mixed connection - mobile & wifi):
- Lockdown traffic ON
- WA allowed in Lockdown
- WA allowed ports: 123, 443
- WA blocked ports: 80, 5222
- GS blocked in Lockdown

When new message is sent to me, whatsapp immediately deliveres it.

I think netguard can block whatsapp in some way

5th November 2019, 04:05 PM |#10476  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have spotted that there is a new option to validate the internet connection. It is set to google. What other more privacy orientated website would you recommend? Maybe point it to a website that I own instead? it would ping my hosting server instead of google. Of course I don't know if the site is always up. Any hints what would be the best solution considering not using Google or other not so friendly tech giants?
9th November 2019, 01:27 AM |#10477  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Just saying thanks to the Dev for this awesome app. I have been using FairEmail paid for awhile and just paid for NetGuard Pro.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemicrusher For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hemicrusher Ad-Free
9th November 2019, 01:38 PM |#10478  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw190

I have spotted that there is a new option to validate the internet connection. It is set to google. What other more privacy orientated website would you recommend? Maybe point it to a website that I own instead? it would ping my hosting server instead of google. Of course I don't know if the site is always up. Any hints what would be the best solution considering not using Google or other not so friendly tech giants?

I also noticed this and I personally don't like that its default value points to a google server.
Users who don't read changelogs or check the app for new functionalities on a regular basis expose their data to google without even knowing.
Wouldn't it be possible to change this default server to a more privacy-respecting one?
9th November 2019, 01:59 PM |#10479  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyna

I also noticed this and I personally don't like that its default value points to a google server.

Users who don't read changelogs or check the app for new functionalities on a regular basis expose their data to google without even knowing.

Wouldn't it be possible to change this default server to a more privacy-respecting one?

What is a more privacy-respecting one according to you ?

Envoyé de mon SM-A510F en utilisant Tapatalk
9th November 2019, 02:18 PM |#10480  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttoknow

What is a more privacy-respecting one according to you ?

Envoyé de mon SM-A510F en utilisant Tapatalk

Maybe directly netguard.me if that would work out with the traffic? Or captiveportal.kuketz.de ? Or any other privacy-respecting search engine like startpage.com or searx.me?
I guess any site which is trustworthy and does not represent a "Big Brother" company would be a better alternative.
The Following User Says Thank You to exyna For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift exyna Ad-Free
9th November 2019, 03:09 PM |#10481  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyna

Maybe directly netguard.me if that would work out with the traffic? Or captiveportal.kuketz.de ? Or any other privacy-respecting search engine like startpage.com or searx.me?
I guess any site which is trustworthy and does not represent a "Big Brother" company would be a better alternative.

Please do not use netguard.me !

My suggestion: www.opendns.com
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)