FORUMS

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

363 Vote(s)
31.27%
Saving battery

258 Vote(s)
22.22%
Increasing privacy

584 Vote(s)
50.30%
Blocking ads

765 Vote(s)
65.89%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

20,449 posts
Thanks Meter: 42,644

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 02:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th January 2020, 06:52 PM |#10811  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 白い熊

I have just returned to Europe from a longer trip to the US and have experienced interesting behavior there with NetGuard / Play store / US T-mobile which I'd like to describe here.

I don't think it's caused by NetGuard — I'm guessing T-mobile — just am curious what could be the cause of the behavior.

Basically — I have NetGuard rules properly configured that allow downloading and installing app updates from the Play store. Once in the US I could no longer install app updates — the store would get stuck with “waiting for download” or “download pending” message.

The only way to install an app update or a new app would be to turn NetGuard off and the apps would install promptly. I've experienced the same behavior on a prior trip too, so it's a constant behavior. It was also in effect when I'd connect to a Wi-Fi and try to install, it wouldn't proceed.

Now I've landed in Germany and immediately the apps install with NetGuard running no problem.

What is the probable cause of this?

I don't think this is directly caused by NetGuard, but because you were roaming.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2020, 08:23 PM |#10812  
Flag 相撲道
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I don't think this is directly caused by NetGuard, but because you were roaming.

Ugh — I feel super dumb, but this might be it. I forgot I have “Block when roaming.” set — since I have “ignore EU roaming” set, so it doesn't come into play in Europe.

However:

if this is roaming based — I just checked, I have everything set to be blocked in roaming, including Firefox, however Firefox browsing was no issue there.

Also, the Play store was also functional — I could browse it, read descriptions etc. Just not install / download apps.

Also “Block when roaming” shouldn't affect Wi-Fi right, so if that is the cause, the download should've worked on Wi-Fi.

Finally, conversely — now that I've discovered I have “Block when roaming” set — how come it wasn't fully blocking, i.e. Firefox working?
11th January 2020, 11:22 PM |#10813  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
@M66B I just updated to latest version 2.273. Please continue your good work.

Side note: Copyright notice in your latest Version (BETA) is still from 2019.
12th January 2020, 03:33 AM |#10814  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 白い熊

Ugh — I feel super dumb, but this might be it. I forgot I have “Block when roaming.” set — since I have “ignore EU roaming” set, so it doesn't come into play in Europe.

However:

if this is roaming based — I just checked, I have everything set to be blocked in roaming, including Firefox, however Firefox browsing was no issue there.

Also, the Play store was also functional — I could browse it, read descriptions etc. Just not install / download apps.

Also “Block when roaming” shouldn't affect Wi-Fi right, so if that is the cause, the downloa should've worked on Wi-Fi.

Finally, conversely — now that I've discovered I have “Block when roaming” set — how come it wasn't fully blocking, i.e. Firefox working?

There could be a lot of stupid reasons for Google Play/Services to cause those kinda problems lol.

Example's - Time Zone didn't update properly, Cache/Data needs to be cleared, close any VPN, components not syncing with each other , etc. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling Google Play is needed.

A lot of have been having the same issues lately, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with NetGuard, and it probably wasn't even caused by roaming either.. Just seems like the issue pretty common lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeyConti For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MikeyConti Ad-Free
12th January 2020, 06:33 AM |#10815  

More
Don't worry - be happy
@M66B:
dont worry about negative feedback.

u can do 10.000 things 100% perfect -> no feedback.
but if u do 1 thing only 99% good -> u ll get a fist in your face

coders have to live with that
12th January 2020, 07:03 AM |#10816  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hell no I wouldn't worry about bad reviews on Google Play! The ones posting those are usually idiots who probably don't have a clue about technology let alone Security software or are those people who believe everything should work how "they" want it too, nevermind if it can possibly be done or not...

I believe you have made a Solid Firewall for Android! It's the most powerful one I think, I'm counting firewalls that use Root in that statement too.
12th January 2020, 07:39 AM |#10817  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Marcel: don't worry about bad reviews, you know what you've done with this great app and we also know.
Have you thought to delete the app from Google Play and leave it only in Github?
When you read bad reviews you must only think that people complain about minimal things and that they don't care: it's easy to send a bad review and there are many trolls.
The Following User Says Thank You to netguarduser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift netguarduser Ad-Free
12th January 2020, 11:29 AM |#10818  

More
Google Play Services Setup
I found a strange thing with "com.google.android.gms V19.8.31":

scenario 1:
- phone factory reset.
- setup with no internet
- after setup wifi on -> update
- wifi off
- install netguard
- play-services enable/disable internet-conn works perfect !

scenario 2:
- phone factory reset.
- setup with no internet
- install netguard
- disable play-services internet-conn
- wifi on
- play-services with GREEN access ! why ?

maybe play-services tries the 1 first time internet-access is given to contact google.
if this dont work it takes direct wifi access and stores it in its settings (maybe).

but i dont understand how netguard can see this access (shows green ips) but cant block them.
12th January 2020, 12:17 PM |#10819  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohnenkontrolle

I found a strange thing with "com.google.android.gms V19.8.31":

scenario 1:
- phone factory reset.
- setup with no internet
- after setup wifi on -> update
- wifi off
- install netguard
- play-services enable/disable internet-conn works perfect !

scenario 2:
- phone factory reset.
- setup with no internet
- install netguard
- disable play-services internet-conn
- wifi on
- play-services with GREEN access ! why ?

maybe play-services tries the 1 first time internet-access is given to contact google.
if this dont work it takes direct wifi access and stores it in its settings (maybe).

but i dont understand how netguard can see this access (shows green ips) but cant block them.

Please see this FAQ:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blo...r-content-faq1
12th January 2020, 05:08 PM |#10820  
Flag 相撲道
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyConti

There could be a lot of stupid reasons for Google Play/Services to cause those kinda problems lol.

Example's - Time Zone didn't update properly, Cache/Data needs to be cleared, close any VPN, components not syncing with each other , etc. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling Google Play is needed.

A lot of have been having the same issues lately, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with NetGuard, and it probably wasn't even caused by roaming either.. Just seems like the issue pretty common lately.

It should be none of those because the only difference in state was the toggling of NetGuard. When it was on the store wouldn't download, once I turned it off it would download momentarily. So the cache, time zone etc was clearly not affecting it…

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Having thought about it more — it wasn't associated with roaming — as I was on a US T-mobile SIM card there, so no roaming. That's why no apps were blocked, even though I had roaming block on.

So the partial block of Play store — only for downloading — while NetGuard was toggled on must've been caused by something else…
12th January 2020, 09:23 PM |#10821  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 白い熊

It should be none of those because the only difference in state was the toggling of NetGuard. When it was on the store wouldn't download, once I turned it off it would download momentarily. So the cache, time zone etc was clearly not affecting it…

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Having thought about it more — it wasn't associated with roaming — as I was on a US T-mobile SIM card there, so no roaming. That's why no apps were blocked, even though I had roaming block on.

So the partial block of Play store — only for downloading — while NetGuard was toggled on must've been caused by something else…

Please make sure you have a recent version of the Android download manager on your device because some older versions refused to download when the Android VPN service was active.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)