FORUMS

 View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage
 
363 Vote(s)
31.27%
Saving battery
 
258 Vote(s)
22.22%
Increasing privacy
 
584 Vote(s)
50.30%
Blocking ads
 
765 Vote(s)
65.89%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

20,452 posts
Thanks Meter: 42,654
 
By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 02:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th January 2020, 06:50 PM |#10851  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Nothing is being requested, this is just network traffic that enters the Android VPN service. NetGuard just shows all traffic.

but i cant enable this kind of traffic because its assigned to userid -1
and i cant configure uid -1
17th January 2020, 07:11 PM |#10852  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 42,654
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohnenkontrolle

but i cant enable this kind of traffic because its assigned to userid -1
and i cant configure uid -1

You can't enable it because it cannot be forwarded by the Linux kernel, see also my earlier comment.
18th January 2020, 04:59 AM |#10853  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

You can't enable it because it cannot be forwarded by the Linux kernel, see also my earlier comment.

HOPO6 is for ipv6 and it's the same as HOPO for ipv4.
and you handle hopo in your C-code.
hopo6 has the same packet-id 0.

i read, that it is (or will be) used for big packets -> so it's more efficient because it has less bytes for headers (because less packets were sent).

the problem in forwarding is only that it's sent by an unknown user with the id -1 (your default "fail"-id)

if my phone tries to send these packets
(that's what i meant with "request", because a sent packet is usually a request of an answer)
it must be able to handle them.

maybe there is no package which uses them, but in the future there could be some.
18th January 2020, 08:16 AM |#10854  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 42,654
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohnenkontrolle

HOPO6 is for ipv6 and it's the same as HOPO for ipv4.
and you handle hopo in your C-code.
hopo6 has the same packet-id 0.

i read, that it is (or will be) used for big packets -> so it's more efficient because it has less bytes for headers (because less packets were sent).

the problem in forwarding is only that it's sent by an unknown user with the id -1 (your default "fail"-id)

if my phone tries to send these packets
(that's what i meant with "request", because a sent packet is usually a request of an answer)
it must be able to handle them.

maybe there is no package which uses them, but in the future there could be some.

HOPO packets are not for what you say and cannot be forwarded for another reason you say (see earlier).

Edit:
HOPO: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6...nation_options

uid -1 means unidentified, which is virtually always root traffic. The uid is not part of IP packets.
18th January 2020, 03:04 PM |#10855  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

HOPO packets are not for what you say and cannot be forwarded for another reason you say (see earlier).

Edit:
HOPO: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6...nation_options

uid -1 means unidentified, which is virtually always root traffic. The uid is not part of IP packets.

yes -1 is root.
and if i disable wlan and mobile data in the standard options,
this traffic will be blocked !
and i cant manually enable it !

anyway - i built a version with a 2nd root (-1) and now i can enable and disable traffic.

-----------

i have another question:
i built a version for sdk 19 and it runs perfectly on my old KitKat-phone.
the only thing that didn't work is the automatic start of the vpn server.

but even when i start netguard after reboot i got the message that vpn isn't started.

why can you start vpn at netguard-setup and NOT if it's installed and i start netguard ???
18th January 2020, 03:09 PM |#10856  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 42,654
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohnenkontrolle

yes -1 is root.
and if i disable wlan and mobile data in the standard options,
this traffic will be blocked !
and i cant manually enable it !

anyway - i built a version with a 2nd root (-1) and now i can enable and disable traffic.

-----------

i have another question:
i built a version for sdk 19 and it runs perfectly on my old KitKat-phone.
the only thing that didn't work is the automatic start of the vpn server.

but even when i start netguard after reboot i got the message that vpn isn't started.

why can you start vpn at netguard-setup and NOT if it's installed and i start netguard ???

You cannot really enable/disable that kind of traffic, so you have a fake option now.

KitKat is not supported for good reasons.
18th January 2020, 03:39 PM |#10857  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

You cannot really enable/disable that kind of traffic, so you have a fake option now.

KitKat is not supported for good reasons.

on the KK-phone there are nearly all google-packages direct integrated to system.
so nearly all traffic (except of my installed packages) have the userid -1.
i cant open my integrated brower or chrome - evrything is blocked !

maybe some newer phones have the same system-integration of google-packages and this would make your program useless for them - think about it...
18th January 2020, 03:44 PM |#10858  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 42,654
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohnenkontrolle

on the KK-phone there are nearly all google-packages direct integrated to system.
so nearly all traffic (except of my installed packages) have the userid -1.
i cant open my integrated brower or chrome - evrything is blocked !

maybe some newer phones have the same system-integration of google-packages and this would make your program useless for them - think about it...

Please see this FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blo...-content-faq31

Note that NetGuard has been around for quite some time already, literally years, so this kind of things are not really new.

Anyway, there is support only on Android 5.1 and later.
18th January 2020, 04:57 PM |#10859  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Please see this FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blo...-content-faq31

Note that NetGuard has been around for quite some time already, literally years, so this kind of things are not really new.

Anyway, there is support only on Android 5.1 and later.

sometimes i think u dont really read the text in this thread and only give random links to faq ...
18th January 2020, 06:17 PM |#10860  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 42,654
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohnenkontrolle

sometimes i think u dont really read the text in this thread and only give random links to faq ...

If you think my answer is not correct, you are free to tell why not. I think my answer is correct though.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th January 2020, 01:53 PM |#10861  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Question 1:
why dont you create a user with id -1 ?
then it would be possible to enable and disable traffic for them (user 0 has NO TRAFFIC on my phones and -1 is blocked)

Question 2:
why can't you start the vpn at a click on netguard in the same way as you start it at setup (if autostart fails)?
suggestion: remove the "throw exception" and start it in the catch clause with the same method as in the setup.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes