FORUMS

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

374 Vote(s)
31.75%
Saving battery

265 Vote(s)
22.50%
Increasing privacy

592 Vote(s)
50.25%
Blocking ads

773 Vote(s)
65.62%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

21,076 posts
Thanks Meter: 44,291

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd February 2020, 07:10 PM |#10961  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I am not sure and it might even depend on the Android version how this situation is being handled.

Would it be possible to add a feature where the user can select to block all traffic when no Internet instead of the default of allow all traffic when no Internet? I assume there would also have to be an indicator somewhere in NetGuard telling the user that "no Internet" condition is in effect so that you don't get a rash of comments related to failed Internet test.
23rd February 2020, 07:55 PM |#10962  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikearat

Would it be possible to add a feature where the user can select to block all traffic when no Internet instead of the default of allow all traffic when no Internet? I assume there would also have to be an indicator somewhere in NetGuard telling the user that "no Internet" condition is in effect so that you don't get a rash of comments related to failed Internet test.

Possible yes, but I am not going to add this, sorry.
24th February 2020, 01:05 AM |#10963  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Potential SMTP Bug
I'm not sure if this is considered a bug, but as part of a research project, I created an Android application that will record a user without their knowledge and then email the audio file to me. I was using Netguard as a test to see if it would detect the outgoing SMTP traffic to the Gmail servers, but it didn't. Is this because this is considered normal traffic? If so, is there a way to check for this on non-mail related apps since this would be considered unusual behavior? Again, I'm not sure if this is a bug in the traffic filtering, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
24th February 2020, 07:15 AM |#10964  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_mr_meeseeks_look_at_me

I'm not sure if this is considered a bug, but as part of a research project, I created an Android application that will record a user without their knowledge and then email the audio file to me. I was using Netguard as a test to see if it would detect the outgoing SMTP traffic to the Gmail servers, but it didn't. Is this because this is considered normal traffic? If so, is there a way to check for this on non-mail related apps since this would be considered unusual behavior? Again, I'm not sure if this is a bug in the traffic filtering, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Did you enable managing system apps in the advanced settings?
24th February 2020, 09:00 AM |#10965  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
What is the right way to add multiple adblock lists? I have tried to separate by comma, line break or blank space. All I get is "404 not found". Thank you for any help!

https://block.energized.pro/unified/formats/hosts
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/je...GoodbyeAds.txt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200224-095925_NetGuard.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	4957455  
24th February 2020, 10:20 AM |#10966  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Did you enable managing system apps in the advanced settings?

I just did. I tested it again with that setting enabled and got the same result.
24th February 2020, 03:01 PM |#10967  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerega

What is the right way to add multiple adblock lists? I have tried to separate by comma, line break or blank space. All I get is "404 not found". Thank you for any help!

You can define one hosts file only.
24th February 2020, 03:02 PM |#10968  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_mr_meeseeks_look_at_me

I just did. I tested it again with that setting enabled and got the same result.

Did you enable filtering mode as well? This is necessary to see all connections.
25th February 2020, 03:13 AM |#10969  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Quote:

Possible yes, but I am not going to add this, sorry.

Would you consider making it possible to block any/all requests for access by an app? I know this is like asking the same question with different words but I think that to remain effective, NetGuard should be trusted. To recover this trust, I would like to be sure that an app is fully prevented from doing it's evil and replies like "I am not sure and it might even depend on the Android version how this situation is being handled." don't encourage much trust.

I'm sorry that I am this way. I guess I need to let this go and move on.
25th February 2020, 04:01 AM |#10970  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerega

There are tools that can merge them, I simply use AdfreeZip, extract the merged host and import it on NG.

Regards!
The Following User Says Thank You to retrol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift retrol Ad-Free
25th February 2020, 07:05 AM |#10971  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Quote:

Would you consider making it possible to block any/all requests for access by an app? I know this is like asking the same question with different words but I think that to remain effective, NetGuard should be trusted. To recover this trust, I would like to be sure that an app is fully prevented from doing it's evil and replies like "I am not sure and it might even depend on the Android version how this situation is being handled." don't encourage much trust.

I'm sorry that I am this way. I guess I need to let this go and move on.

NetGuard is a best effort to manage internet traffic without root permissions. It works quite okay, but it is not perfect, please see this FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blo...r-content-faq1

Some things could be improved, like what you are asking for, but will result in more support questions. I get lots of inquires each and every day, but the general support on the other hand is limited. This is why some things won't be added, like what you are asking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)