FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

 View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage
 
324 Vote(s)
31.21%
Saving battery
 
226 Vote(s)
21.77%
Increasing privacy
 
499 Vote(s)
48.07%
Blocking ads
 
685 Vote(s)
65.99%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

17,162 posts
Thanks Meter: 35,255
 
By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd February 2016, 05:24 AM |#1101  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoninseattle

I understand the app can control which apps are allowed internet access. But does this protect against hackers trying to gain access to the phone? Rated 5 stars! Thanks!

Android has no ports open on the outside, so there is nothing to hack. If this is not what you mean, please describe in more detail what kind of hack you had in mind.
 
 
3rd February 2016, 05:41 AM |#1102  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Android has no ports open on the outside, so there is nothing to hack. If this is not what you mean, please describe in more detail what kind of hack you had in mind.

I don't really understand how internet security works, but it was my impression that firewalls are important because they only allow authorized traffic to flow through the machine, as opposed to a firewall-free connection that is not as guarded. I don't really need Instagram or Snapchat blocked. I'm more looking for a preventative security measure against people who are trying to gain access to the phone from the outside. But maybe my concerns are unwarranted.
3rd February 2016, 05:54 AM |#1103  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoninseattle

I don't really understand how internet security works, but it was my impression that firewalls are important because they only allow authorized traffic to flow through the machine, as opposed to a firewall-free connection that is not as guarded. I don't really need Instagram or Snapchat blocked. I'm more looking for a preventative security measure against people who are trying to gain access to the phone from the outside. But maybe my concerns are unwarranted.

Despite all kind of buzz you hear about Android security, the architecture of Android is basically quite secure. Each and every application runs in a fully isolated sandbox, even the Android services, and in recent Android versions this has become even more secure with the introduction of SELinux (which shows that the NSA does not only bad things). I am not saying that things are penetrable, accidents happen, but I am saying Google did try to make things as secure as possible.

Your main concern should be rogue applications leaking your private information to the outside, which is what XPrivacy and NetGuard are for.

A little example, I have this in my hosts file, because it appeared quite some applications are contacting crashlytics unnecessary:

Code:
127.0.0.1   reports.crashlytics.com
127.0.0.1   settings.crashlytics.com
127.0.0.1   e.crashlytics.com
This will not only prevent leaking the fact that your are using an application, but also saves you data usage.

BTW, it is perfectly okay to discuss this kind of things here.

Edit: I realized I didn't document this change, so lets correct that: in the first beta's NetGuard redirected calls to blocked domains in the hosts file to 127.0.0.1. Later versions return NXDOMAIN ('non existing domain' or 'no such name') as result to block a domain. Nobody complained, so this works okay and has as added advantage no connection attempts are done to 127.0.0.1, which will save some battery power. This is a clear advantage over traditional hosts file blocking.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2016, 08:40 AM |#1104  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

...
A little example, I have this in my hosts file, because it appeared quite some applications are contacting crashlytics unnecessary...

Could you please kindly share a recommended basic hosts file?
Thank you!
3rd February 2016, 08:42 AM |#1105  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ban Dan

Could you please kindly share a recommended basic hosts file?
Thank you!

https://github.com/Free-Software-for...i/HostsSources

Note that the AdAway hosts file is a relatively small addition to the other hosts files.

If I remember me correctly you are using an older Android version. Do the latest betas work okay for you?
3rd February 2016, 09:26 AM |#1106  
Licaon_Kter's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 518
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ban Dan

Could you please kindly share a recommended basic hosts file?

I have no issues with this combined list: https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts/blob/master/hosts (right click on RAW->Save file) and it's kept up to date.
3rd February 2016, 10:14 AM |#1107  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
I hace a question, every time you import hosts file every old entry is replaced or added ?

When you enable filtre ip traffic and Block with hosts files wakelocks by the app incremento?

Thank in advance
3rd February 2016, 10:14 AM |#1108  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Started testing

on Asus Zenfone a450cg (ASUS_T00Q, x86, Android 4.4.2)

** Concurrently using aAFWall+ 1.3.4.1 allowing NetGuard both mobile and VPN.

1. app runs well (and beautiful!), listing all apps with details, UI no problems.

2. seems that whenever activated it stops all access for all apps, regardless of the settings allowing some apps access.

3. when reboot NetGuard reported notification that it can't start. Crashed Service reported at beginning of log.

Please check the following log.

http://pastebin.com/etJEep35
3rd February 2016, 10:18 AM |#1109  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javizap

I hace a question, every time you import hosts file every old entry is replaced or added ?

Replaced, so you need to concatenate files yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javizap

When you enable filtre ip traffic and Block with hosts files wakelocks by the app incremento?

No.
3rd February 2016, 10:21 AM |#1110  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,255
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ban Dan

Started testing

on Asus Zenfone a450cg (ASUS_T00Q, x86, Android 4.4.2)

** Concurrently using aAFWall+ 1.3.4.1 allowing NetGuard both mobile and VPN.

1. app runs well (and beautiful!), listing all apps with details, UI no problems.

2. seems that whenever activated it stops all access for all apps, regardless of the settings allowing some apps access.

3. when reboot NetGuard reported notification that it can't start. Crashed Service reported at beginning of log.

Please check the following log.

http://pastebin.com/etJEep35

eu.faircode.netguard1 is not the official NetGuard or something fishy is going on.
3rd February 2016, 10:41 AM |#1111  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Thank you for your fast answer.

With 0.81 and all switchs on NetGuard incremented the keep awake time.

I will do more tests.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes