FORUMS

 View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage
 
387 Vote(s)
31.49%
Saving battery
 
271 Vote(s)
22.05%
Increasing privacy
 
621 Vote(s)
50.53%
Blocking ads
 
807 Vote(s)
65.66%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

21,892 posts
Thanks Meter: 46,470
 
By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th June 2020, 09:09 AM |#11401  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,470
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttoknow

Hi all,

I read advices here and in NetGuard FAQ about ad blocking.

NetGuard ad blocking works randomly since I installed NetGuard v2.282 . I verified it with this link :
https://www.netguard.me/test

and when ad are displayed by applications.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.


BTW, how are you flushing Android DNS cache ? I want to be sure of that. My device is not rooted.

Not all ads can be blocked:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blo.../ADBLOCKING.md

You can't flush the Android DNS cache.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2020, 09:10 AM |#11402  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,470
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasetouchmenot

Hi,

Sorry if this question was asked for about a thousand times but, is it okay to set the DNS to 1.1.1.2 (Cloudflare with Anti Malware) instead of 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) in NetGuard DNS settings? Does adblock still works if I set it to Cloudflare (anti malware) DNS?
And is it safe to disable the wifi and data connection for "root" app in system settings? And what does it do exactly?

You can set any DNS server address you which and ad blocking will still work.

root traffic will always be allowed, else the internet of your device won't work properly anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2020, 09:28 AM |#11403  
pleasetouchmenot's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 134
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

You can set any DNS server address you which and ad blocking will still work.

root traffic will always be allowed, else the internet of your device won't work properly anymore.

Whoa I removed the internet connection of that root system app recently out of curiosity. But luckily I reinstalled Netguard and set it back to untouched state. Didn't knew that kind of system app can mess up my device if I continue to block it. Thank you for the clarifications.
3rd July 2020, 10:54 AM |#11404  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Hello Marcel....

I have a few IP Cams.

I dont wanna use the Original Company App, so i blocked it for Mobile and WiFi.I use it for settings only.
The Prob is, i can still see the Pic in the App, even though I blocked both.

Any Ideas ?

greetings
3rd July 2020, 12:43 PM |#11405  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,470
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbasebbl

I have a few IP Cams.

I dont wanna use the Original Company App, so i blocked it for Mobile and WiFi.I use it for settings only.
The Prob is, i can still see the Pic in the App, even though I blocked both.

Any Ideas ?

I can only point you to the global acces log to check which connections are being made.
3rd July 2020, 05:51 PM |#11406  
Ikearat's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbasebbl

Hello Marcel....

I have a few IP Cams.

I dont wanna use the Original Company App, so i blocked it for Mobile and WiFi.I use it for settings only.
The Prob is, i can still see the Pic in the App, even though I blocked both.

Any Ideas ?

greetings

I have an app that behaves like this. It's an FTP server built-in to the file manager provided with my device. NetGuard does not report any traffic to or from this app while it is in use. In fact, NetGuard does not report this app as having any network connectivity at all. I only use this app with mobile data turned-off and on my 10-network home WiFi setup.
Perhaps your IPcamera app runs as a service and the cameras make their connections to the app instead of your app fetching from the cameras. This would make sense to me as creating unique connections to a bunch of cameras would be much harder to implement than just having a server respond to all cameras that know how to talk nice to the server.
4th July 2020, 08:46 AM |#11407  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,470
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikearat

I have an app that behaves like this. It's an FTP server built-in to the file manager provided with my device. NetGuard does not report any traffic to or from this app while it is in use. In fact, NetGuard does not report this app as having any network connectivity at all. I only use this app with mobile data turned-off and on my 10-network home WiFi setup.
Perhaps your IPcamera app runs as a service and the cameras make their connections to the app instead of your app fetching from the cameras. This would make sense to me as creating unique connections to a bunch of cameras would be much harder to implement than just having a server respond to all cameras that know how to talk nice to the server.

Traffic of servers is not flowing through the Android VPN, so NetGuard cannot manage the traffic for servers.

Note that by default Android does not allow incoming connections at all for security reasons.

In addition: IMHO a mobile device is unsuitable to run servers.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2020, 06:19 PM |#11408  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 83
 
More
Hi Marcel,

Do you plan to develop NetGuard for WearOS smartwatches ?
4th July 2020, 08:59 PM |#11409  
Ikearat's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Traffic of servers is not flowing through the Android VPN, so NetGuard cannot manage the traffic for servers.

Note that by default Android does not allow incoming connections at all for security reasons.

In addition: IMHO a mobile device is unsuitable to run servers.

The part where Android does not allow incoming connections by default is comforting however as the application I am familiar with was included in my phone's build and that server could have been active by "default" by the vendor's standards, please don't get too comfortable with the idea that all incoming traffic is blocked. When the server (or any server) is running something is being allowed in otherwise the outside client could not discover the existence of the server or it's capabilities.
NetGuard does a very good job managing the traffic it has access to. It can't cover all contentions or it would be a huge application and Marcel would lose his mind. :)
I agree about the use of server applications on a phone. There is far too little user control over the inner workings of Android (unless you Root and are schooled, wise and careful) for servers to be safe. I use the FTP service in the application I have under strict controls and with the understanding of who provided the application (China) for the function of transferring GPX and mp3 files without having to physically attach my phone to my desktop. In concert with FireFTP on my browser I have an easy way to manage the files on my phone :)
The secret to all of this is be careful and trust only after verification. Read the end-user agreements and weigh the benefits of the application against the loss of privacy and security risks. We are all little bits of income for companies and thieves.
4th July 2020, 09:06 PM |#11410  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,470
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttoknow

Hi Marcel,

Do you plan to develop NetGuard for WearOS smartwatches ?

Send me one and who knows.
4th July 2020, 09:12 PM |#11411  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,470
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikearat

The part where Android does not allow incoming connections by default is comforting however as the application I am familiar with was included in my phone's build and that server could have been active by "default" by the vendor's standards, please don't get too comfortable with the idea that all incoming traffic is blocked. When the server (or any server) is running something is being allowed in otherwise the outside client could not discover the existence of the server or it's capabilities.
NetGuard does a very good job managing the traffic it has access to. It can't cover all contentions or it would be a huge application and Marcel would lose his mind.
I agree about the use of server applications on a phone. There is far too little user control over the inner workings of Android (unless you Root and are schooled, wise and careful) for servers to be safe. I use the FTP service in the application I have under strict controls and with the understanding of who provided the application (China) for the function of transferring GPX and mp3 files without having to physically attach my phone to my desktop. In concert with FireFTP on my browser I have an easy way to manage the files on my phone
The secret to all of this is be careful and trust only after verification. Read the end-user agreements and weigh the benefits of the application against the loss of privacy and security risks. We are all little bits of income for companies and thieves.

Normal apps without root permissions cannot run servers on privileged ports (FTP, HTTP, etc) and ports accessible from outside of your device. If your vendor includes this kind of stuff, well, let your wallet speak and don't buy from this vendor ever again.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes