Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

de_Wolf

Apr 30, 2022
HI, Love Netguard.
I down loaded the latest Hosts file (StevenBlack). Is it effective immediately or do I have todo anything else?
Do I need to"Import Hosts File" for this download to work?
If you have used the 'Download HOSTS file' option, the updated list is active immediately. This is also visually confirmed by the current date/time stamp next to 'Last download'.

Reactions: lukval and Tom100%

vmirage80

Dec 7, 2022
No, because that's a security risk.
How is it a security risk when permission is required to granted by the user to the third party app to change the settings in NetGuard? As far as I know, malicious app cannot change NetGuard's settings unless explicitly granted permission by the user on the malicious app.

You can refer to this thread on how it is done with Wireguard.

Last edited:

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
How is it a security risk when permission is required to granted by the user to the third party app to change the settings in NetGuard? As far as I know, malicious app cannot change NetGuard's settings unless explicitly granted permission by the user on the malicious app
Ask Marcel (per Mail), perhaps he can explain it to you.

eliyth

Dec 9, 2022
Hi, is it normal for the speed graph to show activity (usually less than a kB, around 0.600) when WiFi and data are off and there are no new items showing in the log? It seems like some sort of connectivity check as it's constant whilst data is off but stops when data is on. The issue is that the activity only shows on the speed graph and not in the log (I have the options set to show all activity including system apps in the log).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209-191442.png
    Screenshot_20221209-191442.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

pupsidze

May 15, 2016
Guys, two questions:

1. When I enable option 'Filter Traffic' the phone loses internet connection completely, there is an exclamation mark on Wifi icon. Latest Android on Pixel 6. Once I switch Filter Traffic off, Internet is back online.

2. Is there a way to route certain application through proxy or tor?

poiki

Jan 10, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S22
I have noticed netguard filtering imrworldwide. I cannot find an app for it and it appears to be coming from root. Is there a way to track what is doing this? I use an unrooted snapdragon Samsung S22 on Android 13.

It doesn't do the same thing on my tab S6.
Screenshot_20221212_103842_NetGuard.jpg

Last edited:

lukval

Sep 29, 2015
Sony Xperia M
Honor 9
Hi, is it normal for the speed graph to show activity (usually less than a kB, around 0.600) when WiFi and data are off and there are no new items showing in the log? It seems like some sort of connectivity check as it's constant whilst data is off but stops when data is on. The issue is that the activity only shows on the speed graph and not in the log (I have the options set to show all activity including system apps in the log).
Maybe root user communication?

lukval

Sep 29, 2015
Sony Xperia M
Honor 9
Guys, two questions:

1. When I enable option 'Filter Traffic' the phone loses internet connection completely, there is an exclamation mark on Wifi icon. Latest Android on Pixel 6. Once I switch Filter Traffic off, Internet is back online.

2. Is there a way to route certain application through proxy or tor?
Please, search in this thread and/or use the FAQ: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blob/master/FAQ.md

I think you'll find an answer ;-)

lukval

Sep 29, 2015
Sony Xperia M
Honor 9
I have noticed netguard filtering imrworldwide. I cannot find an app for it and it appears to be coming from root. Is there a way to track what is doing this? I use an unrooted snapdragon Samsung S22 on Android 13.

It doesn't do the same thing on my tab S6.
View attachment 5782999
Your android OS, on this version of samsung device, is trying to get the A (IPv4) or AAAA (IPv6) record via DNS query. This communication is blocked by your hosts file.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
A user requested for multiple profiles feature, and this was the response from @M66B. I don't understand his logic. Having multiple profiles is definitely useful, and having to manually switch profiles is perfectly fine.

Since this app is now only in support stage where no new features will be added (looking forward to Netguard 2), here is one way of having multiple profiles for Mobile Data on any Android device:

1. Data Saver option of OS (should be the less strict/ restrictive option)
2. Lockdown Mode of Netguard (should be the more strict/ restrictive option)

Since Mobile Data consumes more battery, and is also limited in nature, it is best to keep Data Saver enabled at all times, but allow only the most important apps to use data even when Data Saver is ON (this can be configured via system settings, usually found under Special Access permissions).

Use Netguard's Lockdown Mode to limit data access only for very specific and limited number of apps. The list of apps allowed in Lockdown Mode should ideally be a very small subset of the apps allowed to use data even when Data Saver is ON. An example would be Maps when you are traveling. You want Maps to access internet, but at the same time not want any other app to access internet as there is a negative impact on both mobile data balance as well as battery life.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: lukval

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@Oswald Boelcke I am going to leave XDA because I do not want to write in public anymore, also because I don't feel welcome anymore. So, can you please close this thread? If somebody wants to continue discussing in a new thread, that's fine and you can add a link here if somebody requests that.

NetGuard keeps being maintained and supported for the foreseeable future. You can request for support via this form:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@Oswald Boelcke I am going to leave XDA because I do not want to write in public anymore, also because I don't feel welcome anymore. So, can you please close this thread?
Marcel, you've certainly good reasons for your decision to close this and the two other threads. Their closure has been accomplished.
I wish you and your beloved ones a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2023.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.