FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

324 Vote(s)
31.30%
Saving battery

224 Vote(s)
21.64%
Increasing privacy

497 Vote(s)
48.02%
Blocking ads

683 Vote(s)
65.99%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

17,064 posts
Thanks Meter: 34,972

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th October 2015, 05:00 PM |#31  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Thanks @pulser_g2 for scrutinizing the user interface of NetGuard and writing about it on the XDA portal.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]

29th October 2015, 05:25 PM |#32  
Flag Caracas
Thanks Meter: 535

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Before anybody asks again, yes, NetGuard will be submitted to the Play store, after there is enough feedback to determine it works reliable on most devices.

If you don't mind the suggestion, it may be a good idea to say this in the OP as well
29th October 2015, 05:54 PM |#33  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I have just released beta version 0.7.

Download/changelog:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/0.7

@DrummerMuppet done
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2015, 06:13 PM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I have just released beta version 0.7.

Download/changelog:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/0.7

@DrummerMuppet done

Can NetGuard be modified to block ads?
29th October 2015, 06:15 PM |#35  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zs29a

Can NetGuard be modified to block ads?

Blocking ads require IP filtering, which isn't possible with this solution. See also the opening post.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2015, 06:21 PM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have tried this app on a phone I'm currently working on, and since that phone is rooted I checked with Network Log whether internet access was really blocked or not for the selected apps.
Well, I'm affraid that the app doesn't work, it can't prevent system apps from connecting to the internet.
The android system, the settings, the settings storage, the bluetooth, the finger print, the finger print app lock, fused location, key chain, the thermal manager, the sensor calibration and a few others (about a dozen in total), can all freely send and receive data.
On a fully stock rom there would be many more, if there are only a dozen or so on mine it's because I've already toroughly skinned the rom and uninstalled lots of system apps.
The thing is that those system apps can't be uninstalled or modified on a non rooted phone, unlike third part installed apps that only require a bit of reverse engineering to have their internet permission removed and can be reinstalled once modified, and I'm sorry to say so but that makes net guard of not very much use, if any at all since it prevents the user to use the VPN.
Nice endeavour anyway, 2 thumbs up to the great devs m66b and pluser_k2...
29th October 2015, 06:28 PM |#37  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_no_need_to_reply

I have tried this app on a phone I'm currently working on, and since that phone is rooted I checked with Network Log whether internet access was really blocked or not for the selected apps.
Well, I'm affraid that the app doesn't work, it can't prevent system apps from connecting to the internet.
The android system, the settings, the settings storage, the bluetooth, the finger print, the finger print app lock, fused location, key chain, the thermal manager, the sensor calibration and a few others (about a dozen in total), can all freely send and receive data.
On a fully stock rom there would be many more, if there are only a dozen or so on mine it's because I've already toroughly skinned the rom and uninstalled lots of system apps.
The thing is that those system apps can't be uninstalled or modified on a non rooted phone, unlike third part installed apps that only require a bit of reverse engineering to have their internet permission removed and can be reinstalled once modified, and I'm sorry to say so but that makes net guard of not very much use, if any at all since it prevents the user to use the VPN.

Are you sure you did distinguish between regular internet traffic and traffic routed into the VPN sinkhole?

Else this would be bad and an annoying Android limitation.

Edit: to be sure, I will add debug logging to see what is being routed into the VPN sinkhole (only in special builds, since decoding TCP/IP packets will use battery power).

Edit: I have added debug logging for connection requests in the sinkhole. Could you please build a version of NetGuard with this enabled and check what happens?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2015, 08:34 PM |#38  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,775

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_no_need_to_reply

This is very interesting here - I didn't find this the case. I tested it out by blocking almost everything, and then trying to tether my device. It wasn't possible to do wireless tethering (which is a system function), with NetGuard enabled.

In my "data usage" screen, I don't see any apps listed which aren't whitelisted by me. Out of interest, what device are you using here? I wonder if some OEM is preventing "their" apps from talking over the VPN? If so, that would be a fairly major data leakage, as it would mean a corporate VPN intended to make it safe to use public WiFi, would be getting bypassed on a routine basis.

I did a quick experiment here - Xperia Z2 on 5.1. I unfroze Sony Account Manager (some app that's built into the ROM to let you log into a Sony account). I have it blocked in NetGuard. I then tried to add a Sony account, and it freezes on "Loading". It didn't get anywhere, and I left it for a long time. So it seems to be working here on system apps at least.
29th October 2015, 08:46 PM |#39  
Flag Bothell
Thanks Meter: 2,750

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_i

Is it (technically) possible to add "on-demand" feature ?
Maybe something close to how LBE works ... Yes/No/Don't ask again
Suggestion...

Is the LBE's firewall actually working for you? I get the prompt to allow / deny WiFi access when I launch the app (say, Chrome for example). But even if I deny, the app is still able to access internet. i.e. the deny isn't working. I tested this right before installing NetGuard.

Nexus 5, Stock 6.0, ElementalX, Rooted.
29th October 2015, 09:41 PM |#40  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagarwa

Is the LBE's firewall actually working for you? I get the prompt to allow / deny WiFi access when I launch the app (say, Chrome for example). But even if I deny, the app is still able to access internet. i.e. the deny isn't working. I tested this right before installing NetGuard.

Nexus 5, Stock 6.0, ElementalX, Rooted.

Please discuss LBE elsewhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th October 2015, 11:01 PM |#41  
Flag Utah
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Really like the idea. Recently started using an app that lets me remote into my work but doesn't allow rooted devices.

I'm on a stock, unmodified 6.0 Nexus 5.

Just a couple of suggestions. The spot to tap to open the checkbox "allow when device in use" is difficult to find. I almost have to tap between the entries to make it show. Not sure if this is a bug or feature. Also, the ability to filter by user or system app and bulk enable or disable for wifi or mobile would be fantastic, maybe a paid upgrade feature?

Overall I love the app. Thanks for thinking of the non-root community!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)