FORUMS

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

372 Vote(s)
31.69%
Saving battery

263 Vote(s)
22.40%
Increasing privacy

590 Vote(s)
50.26%
Blocking ads

771 Vote(s)
65.67%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

20,981 posts
Thanks Meter: 44,031

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th December 2017, 07:04 AM |#5851  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wechat3

Hi,
I've had netguard on my Android 8.1 for a couple of weeks, and it's worked well. I'm using the github version to block ads via host file domain filter. Yesterday, I noticed that google photos was complaining about "waiting for wifi" in order to backup my photos. But I was on wifi. So I disable netguard via the main switch in the upper left of the main screen. That allowed google photos to backup files again.

I'm unsure how I screw up netguard settings that it started blocking google photos, so I'm here to ask a couple of items that I suspect may have caused it when browsing through the settings:

1) Under Netguard>Settings>Network Options: I have both "Lockdown Wi-Fi" and "Lockdown mobile" in the on (red) position. I'm not sure if "lockdown" means the same thing as the Enable/Disable button on the main Netguard page, but giving you finer control over global wifi vs cellular settings? I forgot what state the lockdown options were in when I had things working. For "normal" firewall and ad blocking, do you guys have lockdown enabled or disabled?

lockdown - should it be enabled?

2) Under the Android VPN settings, I have two VPN's. Google's Wifi Assistant and Netguard. Under Netguard's Android VPN setting, "Always On VPN" is disabled. I think that's the way it's always been.

3) Maybe my host file is blocking Google photos uploads? If I leave the Netguard firewall switch enabled on the main netguard page, but in the advanced settings, I turn off filtering in the advanced settings (the ad blocking by domain feature), then google Photos resumes. This makes me think it's the host file has an entry for google photos in there.

4) Kind of random, but I noticed in the "Pro Features" menu, at the bottom, there is a "challenge" field follow by some random letter/numbers, and a response field for entry. I didn't notice this before, and there's no label to indicate what this weird thing is for.

Your problem is being caused by a bug in Android: a VPN is not (anymore) considered as a Wi-Fi network. Google has updated the system app Connectivity Services already a few times to address this bug (according to the changelog), but it still isn't fixed properly.

The challenge code is to enable the pro features, which you can get as a "thank you" after donating.
18th December 2017, 01:56 PM |#5852  
Thanks Meter: 747

More
Accidental post
19th December 2017, 08:15 AM |#5853  
Thanks Meter: 124

More
For no apparent reason my NG 2.138 decided to just block all my internet traffic. I know it's NG cos as soon as I disabled it, the issue disappeared. I then rebooted, the issue was still there. Rebooted again and it was gone.

I noticed it happens when I several times switch on/off my data/wifi. So back and forth with on off and data and wifi and NG starts blocking all traffic. I then have to explicitly disable NG to restore connectivity again.
19th December 2017, 08:18 AM |#5854  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotoLOTO-

For no apparent reason my NG 2.138 decided to just block all my internet traffic. I know it's NG cos as soon as I disabled it, the issue disappeared. I then rebooted, the issue was still there. Rebooted again and it was gone.

Quote:

What gives?

It gives newer versions: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

Only the latest version of NetGuard is supported and you are 27 updates behind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th December 2017, 08:39 AM |#5855  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

It gives newer versions: https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

Only the latest version of NetGuard is supported and you are 27 updates behind.

Yes, did think so and was just about to go for it. I just didn't get how this issues never happened before and started happening all of a sudden. Believe me I've been switching wifi/data on and off on this v2.138 like crazy during the past several months. and yet never had the issue before. All of a sudden it started happening. That's why I couldn't get what gives. Still, thanks for your reply
19th December 2017, 09:43 AM |#5856  

More
EDITED ...

In the meantime, why is it that in the latest NG there's no entry of NG itself in the app list? There used to be one before ... ?
@M66B ?
19th December 2017, 11:09 AM |#5857  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Has NetGuard problems with Android 8.1?
My setup works fine with Android 8.0.
Sine 8.1 i use the same setup but before working connections dosent work.
I get blocked connections now.
My version is 2.164

I answer my self:
The screen on options was disabeld.
Maybe by the update process.
After enabeling screen on it works like before.
19th December 2017, 12:40 PM |#5858  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hello!

I have the full pro version of Netguard - always the latest version off GitHub, and I'm noticing a weird problem.

A while ago I noticed instant messaging apps don't work right, if I give them full permission through the firewall (the messages are delayed sometimes until turning on the screen), but I fixed this by letting them bypass it, or rather deselecting "Apply Rules".

With those app, this is acceptable, especially, since they don't show ads, and do always need to be online.

But in the recent days I have stumbled onto more and more apps that are not happy with "when the screen is ON" permission.

The log shows all addresses in red. Then I allow Wi-Fi fully, and sometimes it still won't work.

I thought I have to let them bypass or rather not apply rules, but then if I give full WiFi AND Mobile Data permissions, suddenly the addresses start becoming green!

Is this a new bug? It wasn't always like this.

Whenever I am testing a new app, if I give it internet permissions at all, the first one is always "WiFi when Screen ON". Later I decide on the final arrangements.

But I can't do that anymore, and it's not due to the apps. It's Netguard.

Should I downgrade, to see where it started, or is this a known bug and being worked on?

EDIT: Oh I have an SGS7E and Android 7.0

Also I set Netguard as Always On VPN, but haven't seen it prevent leakage yet...
19th December 2017, 03:07 PM |#5859  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

EDITED ...

In the meantime, why is it that in the latest NG there's no entry of NG itself in the app list? There used to be one before ... ?
@M66B ?

NetGuard is not shown in the app list anymore for quite some releases. This was needed for a change in the working of NetGuard to prevent crashes.
19th December 2017, 03:11 PM |#5860  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeZee3000

Hello!

I have the full pro version of Netguard - always the latest version off GitHub, and I'm noticing a weird problem.

A while ago I noticed instant messaging apps don't work right, if I give them full permission through the firewall (the messages are delayed sometimes until turning on the screen), but I fixed this by letting them bypass it, or rather deselecting "Apply Rules".

With those app, this is acceptable, especially, since they don't show ads, and do always need to be online.

But in the recent days I have stumbled onto more and more apps that are not happy with "when the screen is ON" permission.

The log shows all addresses in red. Then I allow Wi-Fi fully, and sometimes it still won't work.

I thought I have to let them bypass or rather not apply rules, but then if I give full WiFi AND Mobile Data permissions, suddenly the addresses start becoming green!

Is this a new bug? It wasn't always like this.

Whenever I am testing a new app, if I give it internet permissions at all, the first one is always "WiFi when Screen ON". Later I decide on the final arrangements.

But I can't do that anymore, and it's not due to the apps. It's Netguard.

Should I downgrade, to see where it started, or is this a known bug and being worked on?

EDIT: Oh I have an SGS7E and Android 7.0

Also I set Netguard as Always On VPN, but haven't seen it prevent leakage yet...

Not all apps retry soon after a failed connection, so it can take some time until red changes into green. Also, during VPN restart connections are blocked. Using the screen on condition results in a VPN restart both when turning the screen on and off.
19th December 2017, 03:25 PM |#5861  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
To provide some more experimental results:

I'm on WiFi, Amazon App store is set "Allow WiFi when screen ON", but not mobile data.

But it won't work.

Then I allow mobile data when screen ON and Amazon App Store is suddenly happy with WiFi.

And just to make sure, I then turn off WiFi, Amazon App Store still works through mobile data.

Now I turn off WiFi/Screen ON and Amazon App Store still works.

But reversing the situation makes it stop working again.

Luckily there are not many cases where I need to allow WiFi but block mobile data when screen ON. But I have some apps set up that way, meaning they now won't work, unless I also allow mobile...

EDIT: Read your reply. The above testing was done and described as it was happening just by switching between the three apps. I never toggled the screen.

But I did try device reset twice, to see if it would make the rules stick.

The colors of connections changing: I deleted the log each time and looked at the times recorded, to make sure a new connection attempt was made.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)